Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard would it be to convert my 09 rg from fuel inj, over to a carb. what would be involved doing so, problay alot of work

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
WHY would you even think of doing this ???

·
Administrator
10,617 Posts
Lotsa work and lotsa money as well

It can and has been done

But I'm with mark here

JtB

·
Administrator
12,507 Posts
I think the cost would far out weigh any benefit, and the only benefit I can think of is the carb is a much simpler technology, if I'm wrong or missing something please enlighten me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
This question Always gets no answers, and Tons of why would you want to do this questions.

Why you want to do this is NOT the question. How, or is it possible, IS.

I would LOVE to convert my '12 to a carb. I converted my '05 from EFI to carb and it never ran better, ran cooler, and got significantly better mileage. Not even a single bit of regret and it was extremely easy and cost less than $500.

That said, this is what you have to think about, vs justifying why YOU want to have a carb...

Converting a newer bike will be next to impossible without a huge amount of work and outlay of cash. Here are points to think about:

- No carb specific sub-harness for newer bikes. In the past when carbs and efi bikes existed you could purchase the carb specific sub-harness for abou $100 and just unplug the efi harness and replace with the carb/ignition harness.

- no aftermarket electronic ignition module for late model EFI only harness. No carb harness nor carb'd touring model past 2007 I believe, which means no aftermarket electronic ignition module. You can't use the EFI ECM without EFI crap for ignition only.

- You'd need to build your own dedicated wiring harness (wouldn't be hard) from an earlier model so you could go with an ignition module from an earlier bike. Or complete custom harness to power an aftermarket ignition. Real race bikes exist and are built every day which use state of the art ignition systems and carb....

- speedo and tach from an earlier bike might be required as they are part of the carb sub harness (speed pickup off trans).

- You're going to lose your cruise control. Period.

- Near as I can tell you can still use the same adapter used on the 5gallon tanks which allow Harley to use same tank for efi or carb bikes. It'll allow you to install a petcock.

- You'll also lose the ACR's if you have them.

- Carb mounting would be easy using an air cleaner assembly from earlier bike because the dimensions for all the bracketry is the same.

- you'll need a different switch housing to allow using carb cables...

- IF you do the conversion, nobody but someone like-minded as you (or me) will buy the bike from you as is. You'd have to convert it back to EFI.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I think the cost would far out weigh any benefit, and the only benefit I can think of is the carb is a much simpler technology, if I'm wrong or missing something please enlighten me.
Simplicity, flexibility. Fewer sensors to fail, dump the TBW garbage, no need to get your bike dyno tuned for $300+ minimum everytime you make a change of signiicance... Cooler running engine, better fuel mileage than the earlier non-O2 sensor EFI bikes.

Downsides exist of course. EFI is a bit better behaved when conditions change, ie altitude. nice cruise control integration. Current HD EFI is almost as smooth running as a carb and even the fuel mileage has improved with the use of the closed loop, assuming you're tuned to run in closed loop.

Sadly I agree that at this point cost does out weigh benefit. The other thing to think about is whether emissions testing will come to your state... No way you'd be able to pass a 'smog' test with a titled EFI vehicle equipped with a carb, visually and certainly not from an emissions stand point.

Of course these are just my opinions and based on my experience converting my '05. I converted it back to EFI when I traded it in btw... and have all the goodies waiting if I ever decide to pick up an earlier bike.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Just a quick apology in advance cuz I'm fairly certain I may have come across like a complete a-hole... It was a knee jerk reaction based on every other thread started on this subject. :eek:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
...Also, I am VERY interested in solutions to this request.

There 4 posts in a row.. lol get me a drink dammit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea will be to costly i guess, i can work on a carb on the side of road an rejet, cant do nothing with efi. i got revf. perf. fuel system an cant get it set because they say thier system is dn and its been dn all yr.bike not putting out right #s an if i had a carb. i could tune it my self . but thats life money money money !!!

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
yea will be to costly i guess, i can work on a carb on the side of road an rejet, cant do nothing with efi. i got revf. perf. fuel system an cant get it set because they say thier system is dn and its been dn all yr.bike not putting out right #s an if i had a carb. i could tune it my self . but thats life money money money !!!
Get rid of the rev performance fuel system. The EFI has to many advantages over the carburetors too swap it out. Your EFI is controlled through the ECM so there is no need to re-jet. Once the correct map is in the ECM the ECM will make all the adjustments to the EFI that are necessary for the bike to run right, this is important when it come to elevation changes when riding. If the carbs were still a good option for these bikes I would think HD would still give the customer the option of what they preferred. Why don't you look into a good auto tuner like a Thundermax or Power Vision.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Get rid of the rev performance fuel system. The EFI has to many advantages over the carburetors too swap it out. Your EFI is controlled through the ECM so there is no need to re-jet. Once the correct map is in the ECM the ECM will make all the adjustments to the EFI that are necessary for the bike to run right, this is important when it come to elevation changes when riding. If the carbs were still a good option for these bikes I would think HD would still give the customer the option of what they preferred. Why don't you look into a good auto tuner like a Thundermax or Power Vision.
I am fairly certain carbs are gone because Harley has to comply with EPA. Too easy to modify, too difficult to get them to run decently when jetted as lean as EPA mandates now. EFI is about emissions, auto's shifted to EFI long before because of the sheer numbers and tighter emissions requirements. Let's also not forget Harleys implementation of torque management to reduce flywheel and drivetrain shock (and saving them warranty work).

Carbs may well be considered dinosaur tech, but they are very very capable devices. A properly jetted CV carb handles most elevation changes extremely well. Sure the newer EFI is damned good at elevation changes, but you, Mark, know full well how fuked it can be dialing in a tune when you make changes, which most Harley guys do... That's why I will always carry a torch for a carb. In several hundred thousand miles I have never been stranded by a carb, and any issue I've encountered was easily remedied. Of course I've never been stranded with EFI either, but then again I don't have that many miles on HD EFI...oops, I just remembered I have been stranded by EFI on my bmw because a fuel pump crapped out...

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
With the auto tuner technology available today changing or adding on engine mods are becoming a none issue. But for those that don't use a auto tuner it is more difficult and expensive getting the tune right.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hardrock
Two of the bikes that I had installed these systems on had cam swaps over the winter. When Rev perf. could not reprogram them, they agreed to refund the purchase price with proof of purchase receipt. If you have your receipt, call and speak to Andrew.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i will call andrew tomar, if i get a self tunner were do i want the afr to be were that i can get the most power out of it , everybody tells me that was the reason my bike was not putting out big #s because of the revf. perf. tuner was cutting my power. the ratio was 13.9 the last time we dynoed i think ,so how can a tuner make any more power , ithought if fuel is right its right, im dummer than a rock on these efi systems.i have had carb bikes for the last 32 yrs, i guess i will learn if i dont go broke.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i will call andrew tomar, if i get a self tunner were do i want the afr to be were that i can get the most power out of it , everybody tells me that was the reason my bike was not putting out big #s because of the revf. perf. tuner was cutting my power. the ratio was 13.9 the last time we dynoed i think ,so how can a tuner make any more power , ithought if fuel is right its right, im dummer than a rock on these efi systems.i have had carb bikes for the last 32 yrs, i guess i will learn if i dont go broke.
Best power at wide open throttle is normally 12.6 to 13.1 a/f. The 13.9 you refer to is a/f ratio normally at 60 to 70 KPa (where the motor begins to transition to power from cruise). If your a/f ratio is actually 13.9 at WOT it would seriously limit power output and cause severe detonation, which requires timing reduction and further power loss.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts