Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im putting my bike back together from my stereo install. Put the tank back on, plug in quick connect gas fitting and it starts leaking. I disconnect it and there is still a drip. I look up into it with a flash light and see an O ring. End up draining the tank completely and turning the tank upside down on my workbench. Replace O ring, put back on and still leaking. Take back off and fiddle with the check valve. End up pulling it straight out, looked fine, reinsert. I have never messed with these fittings other than connecting and disconnecting so I know nothing about them. So I have another o ring in place, and it leaks. But only when disconnected. When I connect the fuel line, it doesnt leak, but now bike wont start. Is there a right or wrong way to have the check valve in place?? Why is it leaking when the line is disconnected?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know. There are two actually. I replaced the one that was ripped. Idk how to tell if I could have put the check valve in incorrectly.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't find an exact size O ring. They one I put in was a little fatter. I read the O rings used for the drain plugs were the same size. Guess I'll try that.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
98 Posts
So Im putting my bike back together from my stereo install. Put the tank back on, plug in quick connect gas fitting and it starts leaking. I disconnect it and there is still a drip. I look up into it with a flash light and see an O ring. End up draining the tank completely and turning the tank upside down on my workbench. Replace O ring, put back on and still leaking. Take back off and fiddle with the check valve. End up pulling it straight out, looked fine, reinsert. I have never messed with these fittings other than connecting and disconnecting so I know nothing about them. So I have another o ring in place, and it leaks. But only when disconnected. When I connect the fuel line, it doesnt leak, but now bike wont start. Is there a right or wrong way to have the check valve in place?? Why is it leaking when the line is disconnected?
You need to open up the top of your tank and see what is going on as far as it not starting.I found out the hard way I flipped mine on its side once and float for the sending unit fell off .You probably have something disconnected after you flipped it upside down.Sometimes these fittings will leak until you start the bike and get some fuel pressure in the line.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
You need to open up the top of your tank and see what is going on as far as it not starting.I found out the hard way I flipped mine on its side once and float for the sending unit fell off .You probably have something disconnected after you flipped it upside down.Sometimes these fittings will leak until you start the bike and get some fuel pressure in the line.
As soon as the key is turned on the fuel line will pressurize that is if the fuel pump is working correctly. The bike will not start without the fuel line being pressurized.
I know you tried this but just in case you didn't you have to pull down the quick disconnect fitting on the tank for it to seat correctly.
I have never had a problem with the fuel line or the quick disconnect fitting so keep us filled in on how you fixed it

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As soon as the key is turned on the fuel line will pressurize that is if the fuel pump is working correctly. The bike will not start without the fuel line being pressurized.
I know you tried this but just in case you didn't you have to pull down the quick disconnect fitting on the tank for it to seat correctly.
I have never had a problem with the fuel line or the quick disconnect fitting so keep us filled in on how you fixed it
Got the leak fix and bike is back together and running. Bought an used this tool and it made things alot easier

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
So the leak was in the O rings and you used this tool to replace the O rings correctly??

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts