Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ditto on the Power Vision. Best product out there.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Thank you for the feedback. I will look into both systems.
Those are the ones I'm considering too. I can't decide whether or not I want to tinker with stuff myself sometimes (Power Vision) or simply forget about that stuff, the gizmo is doing it's thing all by itself (T-Max).

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Those are the ones I'm considering too. I can't decide whether or not I want to tinker with stuff myself sometimes (Power Vision) or simply forget about that stuff, the gizmo is doing it's thing all by itself (T-Max).
You can actually do that with both. There is an auto tune module you can purchase separately for the Power Vision. With the Thundermax you can make changes with your laptop plugged in. Although with the Power Vision you can make adjustments while riding. Personally I went the Thundermax route. Set it and forget it. I don't think you can go wrong with either one though.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
You can actually do that with both. There is an auto tune module you can purchase separately for the Power Vision. With the Thundermax you can make changes with your laptop plugged in. Although with the Power Vision you can make adjustments while riding. Personally I went the Thundermax route. Set it and forget it. I don't think you can go wrong with either one though.
Thanks Hullhorr. I wasn't getting the full picture on how the auto tune was incorporated with the Power Vision (an optional separate module).

I suspect that here in FL, I won't really need that since about the only thing I can think of changing after the main elements are established would be A/F ratios due to some serious elevation changes. Of course, I'm such an old guy the last time I personally tuned my HD was when we used points, condensers, and jets too.

·
Shark of the Month December 2013
679 Posts
Thundermaxx Here as well

·
Registered
830 Posts
My Tmax works great. It is really pretty easy to manually adjust.
Installed a set of Tman 555 tq cams this winter, but no dyno for me! Loaded a new map and the Tmax will do the rest.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Have had the Thunder Max for awhile now and wished i had bought it first . Let it tune as you ride , how more simplar than that and every time you make a change on a pipe or cams no big deal. Plug in the lap top yourself or let the shop do it

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I think I'm getting an even clearer picture.

Is it correct to say that if you make a significant engine change, then someone needs to provide a new preliminary map whether or not you have a PV or a T-Max?

I realize that the T-Max is already fitted with auto tune but maybe nobody has an "auto tune" that can make major changes by itself... just minor.
If that's correct, then does anyone also know what the "minor" changes include with PV (including their add-on "auto tune" module) versus T-Max? Maybe just A/F ratios and ignition timing/duration?
Maybe regardless of the tuner, they all have some limitations and if you make engine changes, then you might someday need a brand new map from someplace.
If that's true, then it seems you'll need to get a new map via a dyno tune from someone that's familiar with whichever tuner you have (unless you bought the product from Frank or Jamie)?

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I cannot speak for how the Power Vision works with autotune, but on the Thundermax if you make significant changes you can download a new map from Zippers that gets you close to your setup. The autotune takes it from there and dials it in. No need for a Dyno. I think the catalog of base maps is very large for the Thundermax. My Thundermax came with the map already installed for my setup.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I cannot speak for how the Power Vision works with autotune, but on the Thundermax if you make significant changes you can download a new map from Zippers that gets you close to your setup. The autotune takes it from there and dials it in. No need for a Dyno. I think the catalog of base maps is very large for the Thundermax. My Thundermax came with the map already installed for my setup.
Cool - thanks again Hullhorr.

So yes, if we do some serious engine work then we'll probably need for someone to give us a new basic map with either setup. No big deal after that though, just flash and ride with auto tune, even if that's done via an add-on (i.e. PV).

My understanding is that even if there is no auto tune (i.e. bare PV), the rider manually adjusts everything in response to what the PV screen says to do and re-flashes with those new parameters - no PC required for that part.

Being anal though, I would back up with a thumb drive either way, PV or T-Max, and store a spare file on my desktop and a CD.

All that said, I would still be interested in a comparison list of all the elements that each of these two choices actually do control and which ones are automated, even of that's done via an add-on. That would maybe take someone like Jamie or Frank though. They're probably more likely to have experience with both types.

EDIT TO ADD: I re-read this and it looks like I'm unhappy about having to get a new map Hullhorr but that's not the case at all (probably equal with either choice) and it's good that T-Max has a large library.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Looks like the RCX-C will use the stock narrow band O2 sensors. TMax Auto uses the Wide band sensors which is better for reading air/fuel mixtures.

Think I'm going for the TMax, just waiting for the cash and a call to Dragos.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I prefer to have my bike dyno tuned. with that said I went with the fuel management system my tuner knows best and that was a TTS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts