Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are other threads, but I thought I would put in my two cents.

My bike is a '12 RGU with Kuryakyn Power Cell 2-1-2 with Crusher slip ons and the HD hi flow intake with 18.5k miles. The dealer did the Stage 1 flash and the pipes when I bought it. The bike always ran "decent", but for some reason lacked top end (almost like a speed limiter, it just would not exceed 107 per the Nav).

I am an old carb and cams guy, but I am not ready to do motor work on this bike, so I went with the PC V from Fuel Moto. Ordered on Tuesday, received it on Saturday. Read the directions about 10 times, but the install was easy peasy. Just unplug the ECU, plug the PC-V inline using OEM style connectors, done. It took longer to disconnect and tape up the O2 sensors than anything else.

I gave FM my info on the bike configuration when I ordered. The seal on the box indicated that the map was loaded in the PC-V for my bike. And I have to say, it's a big difference over the stock flash. Much smoother off idle, butt dyno says more pull midrange and a quick little run Saturday afternoon showed 115 on the Nav for top speed.

So if you have a Stage 1 flash from the dealer, in my experience the PC-V with a map from FM will definitely make you happier.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I use the power Vision with a full system from Fuel Moto. So easy to use. The Auto Tune is interesting to fine tune if you have the time to play with it. Going to run auto tune again this summer to try to fine the bike. The really nice thing is if something gets messed up, you can reload the original map sent to you by Fuel Moto, then start the auto tune over again. The Power Vision can hold several maps at once. (8 of them I think)

·
Registered
483 Posts
This is good info. Thanks for the post!

Quick question, what were you referring to with the O2 sensors? Did you disconnect them? If so, why? I ask because a friend has an '11 streetglide and received a PV from Fuel Moto. He disconnected his O2 sensors... I've never understood why? Plus he has had issues getting the tune right and i've ridden the bike and wasn't impressed. My stage 1 flash runs harder.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is good info. Thanks for the post!

Quick question, what were you referring to with the O2 sensors? Did you disconnect them? If so, why? I ask because a friend has an '11 streetglide and received a PV from Fuel Moto. He disconnected his O2 sensors... I've never understood why? Plus he has had issues getting the tune right and i've ridden the bike and wasn't impressed. My stage 1 flash runs harder.
The way I understand it, the PV takes the place of the ECU and as such, does not take information from the 02 sensors, but from the pre-determined "map" that is on the PV. This map can come a library (like mine, optimized by Fuel Moto with other bikes with an identical configuration) or you can modify an existing map to further fine tune the bike.

On the current bikes, you can merely unplug the 02 sensor harnesses behind the right side cover, leaving the sensors in the pipes. Of course you can always pull the sensors and plug the holes. I left them in case I want to go back stock.

If he is having trouble with the tune, I would suggest that he contact Fuel Moto with the exact configuration of his bike and get a solid/optimized map to run. Once you start fiddling with a map (unless you are on a dyno or know exactly what you are doing), you are probably going to make is worse rather than better.

I am glad your Stage 1 is working well for you. For me the PV with the FM map is much better, from off idle to a much higher top speed.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I just read through the manual since I ordered one on friday, I don't see where it says to unhook the 02 sensors and wonder how would you do an auto tune run with the sensors disconnected or am I missing something here?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I was informed to leave the stock narrow-band O2 sensors on if your not using 'wide-band' O2 sensors that come with the auto-tune pro.:confused:

Mine are still connected and have been for the past 6000 miles with no issues.

Call Jamie, he will give you the correct info.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Let’s clarify things here. There seems to be 2 different tuners being discussed here, the PC-V or PC5, and the Power Vision (PV). I've had both, currently running a Power Vision.

With the PC-V or PC-5, yes, you disconnect the O2 sensors. That tuner does not use them. You can, however, add the DynoJet Wide Band Sensor kit and get Auto Tune working on it, too.

With a Power Vision, you need the O2 sensors for it to work. Auto Tune uses either the stock Narrow Band sensors (Basic Tune) or the DynoJet Wide band sensor kit added to you exhaust (Pro Tune).

·
Registered
483 Posts
Let’s clarify things here. There seems to be 2 different tuners being discussed here, the PC-V or PC5, and the Power Vision (PV). I've had both, currently running a Power Vision.

With the PC-V or PC-5, yes, you disconnect the O2 sensors. That tuner does not use them. You can, however, add the DynoJet Wide Band Sensor kit and get Auto Tune working on it, too.

With a Power Vision, you need the O2 sensors for it to work. Auto Tune uses either the stock Narrow Band sensors (Basic Tune) or the DynoJet Wide band sensor kit added to you exhaust (Pro Tune).
That makes more sense!!! Thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just read through the manual since I ordered one on friday, I don't see where it says to unhook the 02 sensors and wonder how would you do an auto tune run with the sensors disconnected or am I missing something here?
Looks like this was answered. For the record, I am referring to this, the Dynojet Power Commander V, abbreviated PC-V.

The Auto Tune module is an add-on. I did not purchase it and have no experience with it at this time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the PC-5 on my 05 Road King, with a V&H Pro Pipe and a drilled out stock A/C (my version of the stage 1 AC) and the difference it made in how the bike ran was amazing. Fuel Moto tweaked the map several times to get it right where I wanted in as far as heat vs. mileage... I'm surprised the Street glide described is not running well, since FM will support the product and tweak your maps to get the bike running as desired. My Jackpot 2-1-2 header, PC 5 and FM air cleaner from FM are arriving tomorrow for the new 2011 RG... I fully expect the same type of improvement, as well as significant heat reduction.... should be a good weekend..

·
Registered
462 Posts
I got my PCV from Jamie soon after adding stage 1 and pipes. Never ran the bike in the revised configuration without the tuner but for sure the tuner added the finishing touch needed. Soon after I went with cams and V&H Dressers and added the AutoTune. Easy to install and use. The bike runs fine with no issues and the mileage is mid 40's in town and 50+ on the highway. If you are going to make mods IMO the tuner (PCV w AT) is one you really should have and FM is the one place to go to. I would think the PV would yield the same or better result.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'll have the PC-V here tomorrow from fuelmotousa. I currently have the HD street tuner. Will the PC-V still be a straight plug in or will there be anything to "undo" from the HD street tuner?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'll have the PC-V here tomorrow from fuelmotousa. I currently have the HD street tuner. Will the PC-V still be a straight plug in or will there be anything to "undo" from the HD street tuner?
I am not sure how the HD street tuner is incorporated - piggy back to the ECM or just a HD flash to the ECM. Other who have one may know, or you have have to check with the dealer. If is a flash you won't have to do anything, if it is actually a plug in device you will have to unplug. If you have ABS you may have to do some trimming of the battery box cover - it will sit on top of the ECM. If you don't have ABS it will fit easily in the open side box under your right leg where the ABS assembly would have been.

The PCV attaches to the factory ECM harness by simply releasing the slide clip and reconnecting. Be sure to check that all pins are straight and use plenty of dielectric grease on both of the female connector shoes.

The instructions are pretty good so you should not have any issues, and FM can assist if you have issues - ? FM installed a MAP ?

Enjoy and ride safe.

·
Registered
96 Posts
FM is supposed to install the map.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Glad to hear! Brown Santa dropped off my PCV from Fuel Moto today! Set the box on top of the box with the Cobra duals, while I wait for the box with the heavy breather to get here next week.

[borat] very excite [/borat]

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts