Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The good, the bad, and the ugly. So I'll start with what I don't like. I dislike the fact that the right side floorboard bracket has to be moved out to the side and that I was completely unaware of this. There is no mention o this on the FM site. I would recommend that it does in all caps as this can be make or break for people. I don;t know how many other brand exhuasts utilize this same type "mod" to fit a pipe on an M8, but I would have bought something that doesn't require this if I knew about it before hand and there are other options available. My reasoning is simple. I already have Kury 1" forward and 1" out board brackets and now they are out even further. I already scrape my boards before I put on the spacers that came with the FM pipe. In my mind...this is important information for the customer to have prior to purchase. This can be looked at from either side. Maybe it's my fault for not asking? I dunno. And, this is the first M8 I have worked on and owned. But, I am not looking forward to wearing out my floorboard and I'll probably have to remove my kury bracket on the ride side now too, or I can just grind down my brackets and floorboards on my workbench. Ok, enough of that, and Jamie, no need to defend yourself. I read the instructions and understand tight tolerances often times require such changes.

I installed the RTX (black heat shield model along with a high flow air cleaner) and have the PowerVision to load a premade map) but I had to start it up, and take it around the block a few times first. This pipe sounds amazing. I'm not just an "I need a LOUD pipe guy". I have more than a few bikes with varying motors, exhausts, etc. I think this RTX is plenty LOUD for my tastes. It's not as loud as my built Twin Cam with a Thunderheader, but it seems comparable to my EVO 111 crate motor with the Bassani, however I like the sound of the RTX better as it seems to have more of a cackle to it.

I've been riding my M8 far too long with a stock head pipe and the jackhammer pipes that were on it when I bought it. I had previously complained about something when this exhaust arrived, (I can't remember what) but I have to say, this is a complete kit that comes with thorough instructions and all the parts needed. I like that the exhaust gaskets fit into the ports super easy too, although one fell out on a test fit. Good thing I noticed.

WHAT IS EVERYONE USING TO TIGHTEN AND LOOSEN THE LOWER PIPE CLAMP BOLT? Since I have heat shields it was recommended to loosely install them prior to pipe install and the space taken up by the heat shield makes it really tight tightening that nut, but I need to loosen it again to adjust everything. I got a wobbly in there with a short socket, but it was a real pain to get it off the nut once it was tight. I'm still used to the vertical clamp mounting bolts on the twin cam there.

I'll load a few pics from my phone, but I can't type all this good info on a cell phone. Anyway, I dig the pipe, it was packaged superbly (which is extremely important) and while it was pricey, I feel it was well worth the dough. I still have a cam and stuff to install as well, but I've been sitting on these parts for over a month and had time to do this today, and I didn't want to tear the whole bike down as I am still waiting on my manuals @BMarsh I know it's out of your hands, jsut thought about it right now...

Last issue...I took out the rear muffler bolt as I was tightening the muffler clamp in an attempt to get the muffler to seal better, and now I am unable to get it back in as the pipe has been tightened down everywhere. I'm thinking that the lower pipe clamp bolt needs to be loosened along with my heat shields and most likely the flange nuts, but maybe I'm missing something. I know that a/c and pipe don't really yield too much of a power difference, but I feel like the bike has quite a bit more oomph. The roads were damp and I only road about 3 miles, but I can't wait to get this out on the highway.

The muffler heat shield is weird. I couldn't get it on without the clamps scratching the muffler as it is cerakoted. This is under the heat shield so you won't see it, but seems like a weird setup. My bassani on my other road glide utilizes a much shorter heat shield over the muffler clamp and does not pose the same potential for scratching. No biggee, I'm going to ride the piss out of it anyway, and it will incur wear on the road.

Finally, I'm not bashing anyone, jsut pointing out things that I find odd, should be disclosed prior to purchase, or make no sense to me at all. I'm not in the motorcycle business (anymore) but understand how this kind of info can make and break things. I sold many varying parts for Harley's in very high numbers for over 10 years, and had to deal with any and all kinds of situations like this. So understand, I'm offering constructive criticism. And I also like knowing that FM will respond with reasoning and such. To me, that is what makes a company worth doing business with in this industry.

I've dealt with many, many companies in the Harley industry in my previous employment. And, there are few that really take care of their customers the way Fuel Moto does. In fact I used to send people to purchase tuners, exhaust, etc there when I worked where we specialized one specific thing, not being exhaust and tuning. Ok, if you read all this, you must be patient. Have a great day.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Almost forgot. The dual o2 port sensor holes are a nice touch and the fact that you supply plugs for both. That is a rarity indeed. And, a really nice pipe made of stainless. I almost wish I got the non heat shield version and just got it polished, but maintenance wise that is more work than I am looking for.

It was a tight fit for the head pipe, but a few grunts and it slipped into place. Last time I had that tight of a fit it was Vance and Hines sideshots on the sporty. Here's to a killer pipe, and many happy miles with it. Cam install has been delayed until my manual arrives....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more thing...I need another set of gaskets for this pipe as it will come off when I put my cam in. Do I need to get these from FM? I'm jsut gonna get a few sets so I have them if that is the case.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
That's a damn fine looking pipe. Its on my radar down the road
What cam are you looking at?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a damn fine looking pipe. Its on my radar down the road
What cam are you looking at?
I got the Woods 22XE along with ss cam plate, oil pump, woods lifters, ss tappet cuffs and a few other goodies. Waiting on my manual for install. I was told another 6 weeks maybe last week. That's what I get for wanting an actual book to use instead of the digital version. I like something I can put my hands on.

Anyway, when my manual arrives I'll get that put in and then I'll ride out of state for a Dyno tune once the snow leaves the higher elevations of the journey. With the the way the bike feels after todays trip around the block, I can only imagine how it will be with the cam and stuff in there with a real dyno tune.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Ive sure heard great reviews of that E version bumpstick, Iam gonna play the warranty game for 2 yrs w/ SE parts, then decide which direction to go, but leaning at the CR line up right now
Probably a good idea going with the S&S pump and plate, as Harley has proven they don't have a clue on M8 oil pumps
Good Luck with your install, looking forward to your review
I ordered my service and parts manual before I even signed a contract. That way I forced myself to buy a 20 for a Christmas present

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Smar guy @Bruce00 My bike is an early 2019 so it has the second oil pump revision. Even if it had the new version taht they are using I would have replaced it. IT jsut makes sense when a manufacturer has to have multiple revisions of a specific part to get something that will work better. I keep my bikes a long time and put on lots of miles (except this year) and don't mind spending a little extra on what will work better. I'll get my money's worth out of it.

My warranty is still good until September, but I've waited as long as I can. I'm actually considering having a local shop do the cam install as he will warranty any of his work, but I'm not sold on that idea yet. He quoted $450 for cam install but I think it will be a little more with the exhaust and such as I told him I have exhaust and a tuner and he quoted an extra $390 for that.

I've not had great experiences with shops sicne I moved a few years ago, but I have found a few guys whom I sort of trusted, until my heated grips didn't work and I was told too fucking bad. That'll get me every time. I called another guy whom most of my friends who don't wrench take their bikes to, and chatted with him. He's very knowledgeable, and a really cool guy. I might jsut ask for a job with him. He's that much on the smae wave as me.

Anyway, time will tell as the manual ( I should have done what you did) is probably not even printed yet. I won't embark on this cam install without a factory manual. Sure, I can find all the info online, but I like to have that.

Th real payoff will be once the cam is installed and I leave most everyone in the dust without telling them I have a cam in my bike. That's always my favorite part of the entire process. I am curious to go up against my buddy who has the SS 475 in his bike. He has a 2019 RG also, but has some kind of duals and target tune or auto tune.

Around here the only place with a Dyno was the dealer which burned down in August. Next closest is Portland, but I'll go down to RC Cyles in teh Bay area for a proper dyno tune as that is always the icing on teh cake with a cam install, big bore, or whatever. In my opinion, without a real dyno tune, your leaving money on the table no matter how many tuning add ons you use. I talked to the local guy about this, and he said that he has had bikes with target tune, auto tune, whatever go on a dyno, and they really didn't need much in the way of changes, but I still think an actual Dyno tune is a far better option to all that nonsense. The less number of modules I have to add to my bike for it to run properly, the better. Until I add big bore and have to get it tuned again. It never ends.

But, as always, Harley's are a ton of fun and my most involved hobby. It is thoroughly satisfying to install something and ride the bike. I don't know how people who do not ride motorcycles survive.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,310 Posts
Looking good @freakfxr. I think that Woods 22xe will be in my bike next year, but I am curious how your buddy with the 475 fares against you.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
If you are doing the cam install yourself. The clips that keep lifters from rotating has a bolt that holds them in. A fair number of people break them off when removing them. And the repair is a nightmare.
You can remove the lifters from the bottom once cam is out Use a heat gun to heat the bolt. Back it out a bit stop turn it back in do this over and over until all the way out. They tend to break at any point.
so take your time and do it slowly. It is the lock tight that causes the breaking
When it comes to cams don't just look at the HP numbers on top. look at the torque where you ride and need it.
Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
The good, the bad, and the ugly. So I'll start with what I don't like. I dislike the fact that the right side floorboard bracket has to be moved out to the side and that I was completely unaware of this. There is no mention o this on the FM site. I would recommend that it does in all caps as this can be make or break for people. I don;t know how many other brand exhuasts utilize this same type "mod" to fit a pipe on an M8, but I would have bought something that doesn't require this if I knew about it before hand and there are other options available. My reasoning is simple. I already have Kury 1" forward and 1" out board brackets and now they are out even further. I already scrape my boards before I put on the spacers that came with the FM pipe. In my mind...this is important information for the customer to have prior to purchase. This can be looked at from either side. Maybe it's my fault for not asking? I dunno. And, this is the first M8 I have worked on and owned. But, I am not looking forward to wearing out my floorboard and I'll probably have to remove my kury bracket on the ride side now too, or I can just grind down my brackets and floorboards on my workbench. Ok, enough of that, and Jamie, no need to defend yourself. I read the instructions and understand tight tolerances often times require such changes.

I installed the RTX (black heat shield model along with a high flow air cleaner) and have the PowerVision to load a premade map) but I had to start it up, and take it around the block a few times first. This pipe sounds amazing. I'm not just an "I need a LOUD pipe guy". I have more than a few bikes with varying motors, exhausts, etc. I think this RTX is plenty LOUD for my tastes. It's not as loud as my built Twin Cam with a Thunderheader, but it seems comparable to my EVO 111 crate motor with the Bassani, however I like the sound of the RTX better as it seems to have more of a cackle to it.

I've been riding my M8 far too long with a stock head pipe and the jackhammer pipes that were on it when I bought it. I had previously complained about something when this exhaust arrived, (I can't remember what) but I have to say, this is a complete kit that comes with thorough instructions and all the parts needed. I like that the exhaust gaskets fit into the ports super easy too, although one fell out on a test fit. Good thing I noticed.

WHAT IS EVERYONE USING TO TIGHTEN AND LOOSEN THE LOWER PIPE CLAMP BOLT? Since I have heat shields it was recommended to loosely install them prior to pipe install and the space taken up by the heat shield makes it really tight tightening that nut, but I need to loosen it again to adjust everything. I got a wobbly in there with a short socket, but it was a real pain to get it off the nut once it was tight. I'm still used to the vertical clamp mounting bolts on the twin cam there.

I'll load a few pics from my phone, but I can't type all this good info on a cell phone. Anyway, I dig the pipe, it was packaged superbly (which is extremely important) and while it was pricey, I feel it was well worth the dough. I still have a cam and stuff to install as well, but I've been sitting on these parts for over a month and had time to do this today, and I didn't want to tear the whole bike down as I am still waiting on my manuals @BMarsh I know it's out of your hands, jsut thought about it right now...

Last issue...I took out the rear muffler bolt as I was tightening the muffler clamp in an attempt to get the muffler to seal better, and now I am unable to get it back in as the pipe has been tightened down everywhere. I'm thinking that the lower pipe clamp bolt needs to be loosened along with my heat shields and most likely the flange nuts, but maybe I'm missing something. I know that a/c and pipe don't really yield too much of a power difference, but I feel like the bike has quite a bit more oomph. The roads were damp and I only road about 3 miles, but I can't wait to get this out on the highway.

The muffler heat shield is weird. I couldn't get it on without the clamps scratching the muffler as it is cerakoted. This is under the heat shield so you won't see it, but seems like a weird setup. My bassani on my other road glide utilizes a much shorter heat shield over the muffler clamp and does not pose the same potential for scratching. No biggee, I'm going to ride the piss out of it anyway, and it will incur wear on the road.

Finally, I'm not bashing anyone, jsut pointing out things that I find odd, should be disclosed prior to purchase, or make no sense to me at all. I'm not in the motorcycle business (anymore) but understand how this kind of info can make and break things. I sold many varying parts for Harley's in very high numbers for over 10 years, and had to deal with any and all kinds of situations like this. So understand, I'm offering constructive criticism. And I also like knowing that FM will respond with reasoning and such. To me, that is what makes a company worth doing business with in this industry.

I've dealt with many, many companies in the Harley industry in my previous employment. And, there are few that really take care of their customers the way Fuel Moto does. In fact I used to send people to purchase tuners, exhaust, etc there when I worked where we specialized one specific thing, not being exhaust and tuning. Ok, if you read all this, you must be patient. Have a great day.
I have never seen a post this long and NO I did NOT read past the first paragraph. WTF

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I have never seen a post this long and NO I did NOT read past the first paragraph. WTF
So the guy likes to express himself with words. This is kind of a rant, so he is long winded. He wanted to express his thoughts and wanted us to understand what he means so we understand.

Whats the big deal?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,310 Posts
That is your loss if you didn't read beyond the first paragraph. I enjoyed reading the full story of the post, if you had then you may have even learned something from it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Loosened and retightened everything today after a quick chat with fm. Of course it's pouring rain again. Gonna load my map and wait for some sun to dry it out. It'll probably be a few days I'm thinking, Oregon and all.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Proper map loaded and it sounds better than it did with the stock tune. Sun is out buts still super wet here. Hopefully it will dry out a bit. I want to get on the highway with this. Cleaned the pipe with some pig spit. Looks like it's the same finish as my black bassani which shines like a diamond when I use pig spit on it. That's another plus. My svt jackhammers didn't get a shine from the pig spit.

Fuel moto was super helpful even with my dumb questions and still gets an a plus from me although I didn't like moving the floorboards out.

I still don't get how to tighten the p clamp nut. My wobbly kind works, but barely. Worst harley design, or at least in the running. I scratched my heat shield a bit there then discovered using a spacer between heat shield and pipe with the clamps loose moves it over quite a bit. Still in the danger zone but not nearly as much.

Anyway the sound difference with the right time is impressive and the cackle or growl on decel is super great sounding.

One more bone to pick. I hate the header to muffler clamps they provide. They are weak as fuck. I'm going to replace it with a car style one with the bolts that's 4 times as wide as it works better. Had to do it on my bassani as well. On the bassani the extra weight of my ex gf was causing the bike to have issues I never experienced. She's gone now but I also had to replace the rear wiring harness as it wore through and grounded to the frame where I had it zip tied. I rode that bike for 90000 miles with no passenger and never had either issue. So live and learn in my long winded way.

Anyway I'm praying it stays sunny so I can ride.

Pig spit shine o. The pipe. And rear setup which I said I didn't like but decided it's cool as it's different.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took it for a quick spin. Didn't make to the highway as rain is threatening. The fm custom map performs well. Didn't get enough of a chance to go fast to decide anything about but, all I can think about now is the cam.

I'm a happy camper and. Sure I'll be happier once I get the cam in. Now of I could get warm enough dry day to spend a few hours in the seat continuously I'll be able to put it through its paces.

Also discovered the liner carhartt bibs are really warm on the bike too. New to me. Csm is tentatively scheduled for the 20th, unless my manual shows up before that.

Got a few pops on heavy decel, I'm thinking where the muffler clamps to header is not right. I'll order a double clamp to get that sorted once I measure the diameter of that part of the header.

Another happy FM customer. All my thoughts are really for people to have ALL the info prior to making a purchase. I like to know everything I can before hand when spending thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I do not live far from Fuel Moto. Wednesday was right near them. They are known for playing it straight, knowing the products they sell. Supporting what they sell and no BS excuses. The tuning is unbeatable regardless of how you choose to go.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts