Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Custom keeps shutting off on me while waiting at a stop light randomly. It doesnt do it everytime but it does it-Often when i'm in the middle of an Intersection! I dont here the Fuel pump running even after I cycle the ignition switch (ON and OFF) Something is cutting power to the fuel Pump-Thus making the Bike shut off. I took it to Harley but there wasnt anything they could do because the bike isnt throwing any codes at all! They said run it until it wont start no more then we should be able to see whats going on..That would really suck if I get stuck in the middle of no where, At night no less. I even took a gamble and put a brand new Fuel Pump in it last week hoping that was the problem-Well it just shut off on me a block away from home....Again Fuel Pump is Quiet NO POWER GOING TO IT! After a couple minutes the Pump turns on and bike starts right up!! I checked fuses with a test light, all ok, Battery cables nice and tight Checked plug behind Air Cleaner-looked fine to me. I even started up and shook the plug with my hand to see if the Bike would shut-off or something, Nothing happened. Can anybody tell if there is something else I could check-I dont know what else I can do! This has been going on and off now for a month. Electrical Nightmare!!

· Registered
74 Posts
Someone may jump in with some better advice than myself, but I have two options in mind.
1. With a OHM meter test continuity on both the power and ground wires separately from as close as you can get to the power source and to where it connects to the pump while moving the wires at all points in between to possibly find the loose connection, and or broken wire. This would be great with a meter that has a tone when there is continuity that way you don't have to be staring at a meter watching while you move and wiggle wires. Also look closely at connections for corrosion.

Have new bars been installed, did wiring get ran thru inside the bars? Could wires be pinched from kill switch causing intermittent connection?

Is it only after the bike gets so hot at a light or intersection, causing expansion and a connection to fail at that point, if maybe that, I'd look more under the tank for the culprit.

Depending on how mechanically inclined you are.

2. Run some new wires, what can it be? 10' max in wire, so it wouldn't be too much to rewire it with good wire from power source to pump or close to both ends as possible, even if you threw in some new fuse links, solder, shrink tube etc.

· Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did have new bars installed last Christmas. I wonder myself about that kill switch on the bars, maybe its going bad?? Is there a way to test that switch? I also thought about running a Jump Wire from battery to Fuel Pump direct with a Toggle switch in between and just use it that way, But I dont want to make more problems for myself down the line..

· Registered
7,522 Posts
Don't mess with the fuel pump wiring. The best way to check the fuel pump is to get a fuel pressure gauge and check your fuel psi.
THE FUEL PUMP WILL NOT RUN IF THE FUEL PRESSURE IS GOOD.
Chances are that the fuel pressure is good and that is why you don't hear the fuel pump running.
When installing the new fuel pump did you install a new fuel pressure regulator?
If you want to quick check the fuel pump pressure when the bike shuts down you can pull the quick disconnect at the fuel tank and if fuel squirts out when pulling the quick disconnect then you have fuel pressure. WARNING: getting fuel on a hot engine may cause a fire so use a shop rag to prevent the raw fuel from getting on the hot engine.
Your problem may be with the electronic ignition system and the bike is not getting spark, the kill switch in the handlebar is a good place to start looking and if that is good then the ignition switch may be the the next place to look.
Because you are not getting any DTC's it is a sign that the ECM thinks that bike is shutting down normally and that there is no problem.

· Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't mess with the fuel pump wiring. The best way to check the fuel pump is to get a fuel pressure gauge and check your fuel psi.
THE FUEL PUMP WILL NOT RUN IF THE FUEL PRESSURE IS GOOD.
Chances are that the fuel pressure is good and that is why you don't hear the fuel pump running.
When installing the new fuel pump did you install a new fuel pressure regulator?
If you want to quick check the fuel pump pressure when the bike shuts down you can pull the quick disconnect at the fuel tank and if fuel squirts out when pulling the quick disconnect then you have fuel pressure. WARNING: getting fuel on a hot engine may cause a fire so use a shop rag to prevent the raw fuel from getting on the hot engine.
Your problem may be with the electronic ignition system and the bike is not getting spark, the kill switch in the handlebar is a good place to start looking and if that is good then the ignition switch may be the the next place to look.
Because you are not getting any DTC's it is a sign that the ECM thinks that bike is shutting down normally and that there is no problem.
Is there a way to check that Kill switch on the handlebars? Do I have to take the Bars apart again, Wires and all?? I did NOT change the Pressure Regulator when I did the Fuel Pump! Does it need to be changed when a new Fuel pump is Put on??

· Registered
464 Posts

This is a great insight...very useful when we do other troubleshooting. Thanks Ironmark.

· Registered
7,522 Posts
I never had to replace my fuel pump so I am not sure if the new pump comes with a fuel pressure regulator or not, I would think it does since you didn't put the old regulator on the new fuel pump.
Chance are good that the problem is not in the wiring but check your wires and plug connection just in case.
I had a issue with the brake light once and the problem was in the fuse box, the metal tabs inside the fuse box were not making contact with the prong on the fuse, I had to take a small flat screwdriver and bend the tabs in the fuse box a little bit and all was good, so this may be something to check on the fuel pump fuse location.
Yes you would have to take apart the switch housing to check the shut off switch, you may just have a bare wire on the kill switch and it will ground out causing the bike to shut down.

· Registered
9,799 Posts
I'm sure it's not a fuse if it runs and dies then starts back up and runs and dies. Fuses do not magically repair themselves. Relays will however work intermittently. Not sure which relay the fuel pump relay is off hand but the service manual should show which one it is.

· Registered
180 Posts
I had a simular problem with my 07 Streetglide. It occasionally would just die while running. I was lucky the last time it did it I was at home. I called local HD and asked if they could pick my bike up to get the problem fixed? The service tech said before they came out he wanted me to try something first. He said to disconnect the fuel line and wait a few minutes the plug it back in too see if it started. I did while he was still on the phone and sum bitch it started right up! I don't remember exactly what the defective part was, but he said the would have to take out the fuel pump to fix it. He knew that there had been a problem which should have been a recall if you ask me. So If it happens again and your stranded you might try unplugging the fuel line then plug it back in.

· Registered
7,522 Posts
There are only 4 relays in the bike, there is a
starter relay
system relay
brake relay
lighting relay
There is no specific fuel pump relay that I can find in the wiring schematics. The fuel pump is connected to the system relay which is the ECM relay in the fuse block. It would seem that if the system relay went out then you would have other issues then the fuel pump. If the system relay shuts down then it would seem that the bike would shut off.
If the relay overheats and shut down then it will work after it cools but the shorter the cool down cycle the sooner the system will shut down.
I just glanced through the schematics so I may have missed something plus my book is a 08 but the basic wiring hasn't changed much.

· Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I checked the book and found no Fuel Pump Relay also. Must be connected to the ECM Relay like you said Ironmark. I put all new Fuses in just in case, There all tight nothing loose. I dont know what else to check, Unless there's a bare wire hitting the Bars internally-But shouldnt that blow a Fuse?? I rode it Today and it was fine, No problems at all..I can go several days running without any hiccups then all of a sudden it just shuts down without any warnings. I give up:confused:

· Registered
7,522 Posts
If your handlebars are internally wired then there could be a bare wire inside the handlebars grounding out causing the bike to shut off. The wire that is bare would probably be the kill switch wire and if that is the case then there will be no DTC's. If the wires are internal in the handlebars then that would be the most obvious place to start.
I would think that there is nothing wrong with the fuel pump so you may want to check the ignition wiring a little closer. The kill switch and the ignition switch are tied together so the shut down problem may also be a problem with the ignition switch and if either one has a problem chances are there will be no DTC's when the problem occurs because the ECM thinks the bike is being shut off normally.
Sometimes electrical problems can be a real head scratcher :confused:

· Registered
9,799 Posts
Will it die if you idle it in the driveway or only when you're riding it? Did you actually check the wires for power with a test light? For shits and giggles swap relays if they're the same. I'd try that first before you dive into the handlebar wiring

· Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Will it die if you idle it in the driveway or only when you're riding it? Did you actually check the wires for power with a test light? For shits and giggles swap relays if they're the same. I'd try that first before you dive into the handlebar wiring
It will die only when I'm riding it. Never thought about swapping relays..Will give it a try.

· Registered
9,799 Posts
Try swapping them and see how you make out. If it comes down to needing a new relay you don't need to go to HD for one. My buddy got one from a local auto parts store for only a few bucks

· Registered
2,001 Posts
Once it dies if the starter will spin when you push the button chances are its not the kill switch,because it also kills the starter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.