Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to remember from youtube that there is a special tool you need to remove the lock ring off the gas tank to get the fuel pump out. Anybody have the down-low on where to get that tool?

Registered
I use the Snap-on tool. It works great and is made of plastic so it won't scratch your fuel tank if you slip. The metal tool cost more and if you slip it can cause paint damage to the tank. Some just use a hammer and a screw driver but than if you slip.

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

Super Moderator
Subscribing to this thread, I'm changing tanks when I have my bike painted.

Sent from my SPH-L710

Super Moderator
+1 on the snapon tool. Made the job way easier. Did my bike and a friends limited in less than a 1/2 hour. From my view putting the lock ring back on would be the difficult part with any other tool.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
So you use the tool for removal and install?

Sent from my SPH-L710

Registered
My special tool is a 1 foot section of 1" Schedule 40 PVC Pipe and a Dead Blow hammer. Works great. You do want to get in there and change the fuel filter a bit more often than I did...

This one has 50,000 miles on it. Can you guess which one is the old one and which one is the new one?

Registered
My special tool is a 1 foot section of 1" Schedule 40 PVC Pipe and a Dead Blow hammer. Works great. You do want to get in there and change the fuel filter a bit more often than I did...

This one has 50,000 miles on it. Can you guess which one is the old one and which one is the new one?
Were you able to purchase JUST the filter by itself? I went to the local HD Dealership, she said I had to buy the whole $86 or something fuel pump kit, couldn't just get the filter. That doesnt make sense to me.

Super Moderator
Were you able to purchase JUST the filter by itself? I went to the local HD Dealership, she said I had to buy the whole $86 or something fuel pump kit, couldn't just get the filter. That doesnt make sense to me.
EBay has them for around $17 from Drag Specialties.

Sent from my SPH-L710

Registered
Just did a search on the Baldwin site. They don't show any crosses for that filter. Might be a Harley only.

Registered
Drag Specialties tool, 3804-0030, $43.95 suggested retail from everywhere.
Fits 2008-2014 model fuel tank locking rings.

Don't go near your fuel tank with a damn hammer OR screw driver....
Sheesh!

Super Moderator
Drag Specialties tool, 3804-0030, $43.95 suggested retail from everywhere.
Fits 2008-2014 model fuel tank locking rings.

Don't go near your fuel tank with a damn hammer OR screw driver....
Sheesh!
I ordered the Lang tool from eBay, $40 and free shipping, I figured it's a tool I'll definitely use more than once, and I know if I made a mistake with a hammer or pipe, my tank will suffer, lol. :eek:

Sent from my SPH-L710

Registered
I did somne more searching and found that the Snap-on, Dag Specialties and Lang are all the Kastar 492. Found it for $31.15 shipped. Got 1 on the way!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts