Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode most of last night got home about 0400 and had a bad fuel smell on my pants, went out today and saw a leak from the quick disconnect. Need to figure how to fix this, I'm sure it's just a O-ring. I don't have much time because I leave in the am again mad don't want to be leaking down the hwy. can anyone help me? Just point me in the right direction?
2013 rode Glide custom, thanks in advance normally I'd look it up myself but I dont think I'd make the time frame alone.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
You can change it out with the same one that goes on the oil drain plug.
Are you sure that's rated for fuel?

I found a part number for a John Deere o-ring online that fits and is rated for gas. I think it was under a buck. I can't remember what forum it was on. Give me a few minutes.

You have to pick the old one out and be very careful when putting the new one in. Work fast with a mostly empty tank if possible.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Rode most of last night got home about 0400 and had a bad fuel smell on my pants, went out today and saw a leak from the quick disconnect. Need to figure how to fix this, I'm sure it's just a O-ring. I don't have much time because I leave in the am again mad don't want to be leaking down the hwy. can anyone help me? Just point me in the right direction?
2013 rode Glide custom, thanks in advance normally I'd look it up myself but I dont think I'd make the time frame alone.
John Deere #R26286

I called the local JD dealer and they had them in stock.

Here is a link to the first discussion I found, it's the first hit on Google. It worked for me and certainly worth trying over the $80 some $$ quick connect and messing with the tank internals. Harley doesn't sell the o-ring by itself.
://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection/1185123-o-ring-size-fuel-check-valve.html
I also think it's good for ethenol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas, I think I was able to find the same discussion James, I crossed some parts with the autozone part number and am picking up a half doz in the early morning since Orielys didn't have them today. I'm hopeful it will work and I can swap em out.
I just got this Harley maybe two weeks ago didn't learn it even had a quick connect fuel like till it leaked, thanks for your time guys I appreciate you

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Thanks fellas, I think I was able to find the same discussion James, I crossed some parts with the autozone part number and am picking up a half doz in the early morning since Orielys didn't have them today. I'm hopeful it will work and I can swap em out.
I just got this Harley maybe two weeks ago didn't learn it even had a quick connect fuel like till it leaked, thanks for your time guys I appreciate you
Use some Vaseline on the o-ring, it will help keep it in the hole while you you try to seat the ring with a pick. Don't F the ring up, be careful. If it doesn't seat the first time, keep trying, it will. Took me two times. I also used a mirror to try to see what's going on. Oh, have fun with the gasoline shower down your arms you are about to have, it really sucks in your armpits. Hahaha

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Are you sure that's rated for fuel?

I found a part number for a John Deere o-ring online that fits and is rated for gas. I think it was under a buck. I can't remember what forum it was on. Give me a few minutes.

You have to pick the old one out and be very careful when putting the new one in. Work fast with a mostly empty tank if possible.
Mine are from Mcmaster Carr and yes. Been in there for about 2 years now.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
A lot of people don't know this but you need to depressurize the fuel pump when disconnecting that line. There is a lot of pressure there and if you remove the quick disconnect with that pressure behind it this is what kills the O-ring. Yes it is made of rubber and will wear out over time anyway but it will help the longevity by relieving any pressure before you disconnect.

All you need to do is to remove the dash and unplug the connector for the fuel pump. Then start the bike until it runs out of fuel, this will only be a second or two and it may not even start up all the way. Hit the start button again and let it turn over a few times and stop. Now the system is relieved of pressure and you can remove the quick disconnect without that quick spurt of fuel coming out. It may drip a little but it won't spray. This simple process will help save you from having that O-ring leak at the most inconvenient time.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I also used a mirror to try to see what's going on. Oh, have fun with the gasoline shower down your arms you are about to have, it really sucks in your armpits. Hahaha
Put something on your workbench to lay the tank upside down on and you will save yourself from the gasoline shower and you won't have to use a mirror. :wink:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Put something on your workbench to lay the tank upside down on and you will save yourself from the gasoline shower and you won't have to use a mirror. :wink:
You are killing it with the helpful info! I was late into the night before a poker run that I had already paid for. I bought the new quick connect just in case I couldn't get the o-ring to work. No time for smart thinking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gas shower is right! Got some orings and I'll be if I can't get it to stop raining... I texed the sales man who sold me the bike and he said he'd have service dept call me, I thought maybe they would come through and help me a bit, after all it's been less then three weeks since I bought it.
I'm gonna go give it a few more attempts, if it didn't work 1st time around for some of ya maybe I'll get it sooner or later.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so with your motivation that the first time doesn't alway go, I went to my shop, new batteries in a headlamp, my bifocals on and a dental mirror for a giant, saw what looked like remains of o ring caught up there, took a little delicate strokes with a little tool I made and I'll be damn if I didn't have a broken o ring in there, must have pinched the new one. Lucky for me I bought a pack of five! Drained the tank to avoid the gas shower.....sounds bad.... petrol shower.... Used compresssed air to make sure all broken orings have been clean out and double checked again. New one went in easy, refilled the tank slowly with a kero pump checking for leakage as it filled. No leaks! It's full, the bike started and I was so excited to share it with y'all I have t washed the gas off my hands, damn my weekend is over but I suppose I'll ride to work a few days before next weekend. Thanks again for your advice

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll keep that in mind thank you, it is a new bike for me. Only a few weeks old.

When I spoke to the service manager for HD he said it would easily be 150 bucks just for labor, , he said without say it that the part could be repaired but is difficult to get right, but reinforced IT CAN BE DONE, ya know when they wanna tell ya something but can't because they rep a company and daddy may be listening? he gladly gave me the part number of an oring that would work, however that number is HD specific and it won't interchange with other manufacturers numbers.
The Oreily part number I used is National #6010020 if anyone needs to do this in the future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts