Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RGS (Black and Chrome)
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone using fuel stabilizer year long? - i.e. seafoam, sta, Harley-Davidson brand, etc...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I go thru a minimum of 1 tank a week. So in my case, it's a waste of money.

Reactions: Oclaf and smitty901

·
Registered
306 Posts
Why year round? I only use it as part of my 'winterization' when the bike goes into the corner of garage until snow is gone. I've always used 'Stabil' but I'm sure the others you mention work fine too.

Reactions: Oclaf

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I keep a 5 gallon tank of 93 octane non-ethanol fuel using Stabil Fuel Stabilizer in the garage. I’ve kept it over a year, but try to change it every year.

As for using Stabilizer in the bike, I ride all of the time. I never have fuel tank last over 2 weeks.

Reactions: louisiana rgl

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
No additives. In winter I do add a little sea-foam. But not needed I ride in winter often.
Seafoam is an additive used for 2 Stroke motors. It was invented before the 4 Stroke became the major type used.

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
2,563 Posts
No need, I run non-ethanol gas all the time and through the winter, it lasts for 6 months without congealing. Some of those additives will actually expedite the congealing - more hype than worth.

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
619 Posts
I use startron in both the bikes and gas cans for lawn mower snow blower, and weed whacker, started the snow blower yesterday after four months first pull and I run ethanol free in the bike almost all summer.These products work

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
I only use sta-bil in the tank for the winter months here in New England. No need to use it year round

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
2,563 Posts
I use startron in both the bikes and gas cans for lawn mower snow blower, and weed whacker, started the snow blower yesterday after four months first pull and I run ethanol free in the bike almost all summer.These products work
"Like a dog park after the snow melt, there's a lot of sh!t". If gas companies could put more additives in their gas to make it last longer, they would.

·
Registered
133 Posts
"Like a dog park after the snow melt, there's a lot of sh!t". If gas companies could put more additives in their gas to make it last longer, they would.

Funny video with some very good information. Thanks @Zedbra for posting it.

Reactions: Zedbra

·
Registered
2021 RGS (Black and Chrome)
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Great video for sure. I ordered last night STA-BIL Marine, will give it a try...

As far as my question for year round - I do go over about a tank every week or so, however I am picky and almost never let it pass half tank before filling it up again, so some of the gasoline in there may get old....not sure, hence the question here to the experts.

·
Registered
2020 RGS, FLTRXS that runs great out the gate.
1,842 Posts
Not sure why folks store things with fuel? Can't imagine manufacturer recommends it. That said, there's no incentive or gain by fuel producers to create long lasting fuel. They make money selling it.

·
Registered
2020 RGS, FLTRXS that runs great out the gate.
1,842 Posts
My truck sits longer than many say their motorcycle does with fuel, never think twice about it, so why would i think about my bike. granted, i do go through the gas on the bike more often, but i am fortunate to not have to winterize...we somewhat summerize in AZ, that means you don't ride in the heat of the day(some of us, always a few)...early or late night riding...if i had to winterize my bike, i probably wouldn't own it...already have that on my horizon due to age and the desire to move from AZ...its a luxury i choose to 'afford' at the moment...but until then, "kneez in da breez!"

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
619 Posts
I only use sta-bil in the tank for the winter months here in New England. No need to use it year round
The only reason I run it in the summer months is it helps or so I am told with reducing damage or build up with ethanol gas Use.Also condensation from winter gas cans sitting dormant.I used to run all the engines empty for winter not since I started using Startron.I have seen skeptical reviews on utube but These motors run well with it.I store the motorcycles in a 55° warehouse for winter so condensation is not as big an issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts