Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 2021 Road glide and noticed the ignition lock is not centered with the fuel filler cap. The seat also doesn’t seem aligned as though the tank is off centered to the left. Can the tank be adjusted left/right? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
802 Posts
Looks like that rear mounting bracket is tweaked to the right, causing the console to the left. Loosen the front bolt and remove the rear bolt, realign the rear bracket as needed then tighten it all back up or take it to the dealer (warranty).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like that rear mounting bracket is tweaked to the right, causing the console to the left. Loosen the front bolt and remove the rear bolt, realign the rear bracket as needed then tighten it all back up or take it to the dealer (warranty).
What’s odd is there’s no left/right adjustment at the top of the console… one fixed bolt to the tank. Unless the ignition and fuel cap aren’t supposed to be aligned? Are yours? Here’s mine with the gauges off.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Try loosening the front bolt and swing the rear arm to the right until looks correct, just to see if it helps. Might be enough slop in the front and the back bracket may be the culprit.

Attachments

Reactions: Ceez

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Dumb question first. Are you sure your bars are perfectly straight? Hard to tell from here.

Any way to get reference points off of the fairing, the floor board or anything else to measure to see if it is symmetrical?

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
In your first post, the first 2 pictures look like the bars are slightly turned. In the 3rd picture it looks like the console is tweaked a little. It's hard to tell because it also looks like your pictures aren't perfectly centered either. How does it look going straight down the road? If it looks "off" then bring it back to the dealer

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, did some measuring from fixed points and the conclusion I've come to is that the tank is not symmetrical. When I removed the console, the top threaded hole isn't centered on the tank so that's why everything is off. I'm going to see if I might be able to shift the tank at the top to the right a bit (maybe use some washers on one side?). Another way I confirmed was running a string from the rear seat bolt in the fender to the center of the ignition switch with the front wheel straight. Rear fender, seat, ignition, center of faring all aligned but tank is off to the left.

What's interesting is that I went back to the dealer and looked at every Street and Road glide on the showroom floor and they were all different... some aligned, some off the left, some to the right. I suppose I could just mention it at the 1000 mile service. Maybe they'll just replace the tank.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Could the tabs on the tank be bent a little to the correct location?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
If that's the case, then it's a manufacturing defect that should be covered under warranty imo. If no one brings it to their attention, it will just keep happening.

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
Shit like this is what the MoCo needs to work on. $30+k on a freakin motorcycle and they cant make sure their shit is straight. The quality control department is apparently taking too many naps on the job. I bet the words you hear when you bring it in for them to look at are "that's normal. See, theres another one on the showroom floor just like it". Good luck

·
Registered
55 Posts
Getting my mew bike back today from it's getting the faring straightened out. Apparently they clamped and leveled the bike....took it down to the triple tree ....and used an inclinometer and level to get it perfect. The tech spent the better part of a day at it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I'm expecting to hear "they're all like that". So, first off, I absolutely LOVE this bike. Only two issues that throw a wrench into it are:
  1. Looking down/forward and seeing the ignition switch and seat off the the right of the fuel cap/tank.
  2. Seeing the speedo/tach nacelle not parallel with the faring above it when the bars are straight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Getting my mew bike back today from it's getting the faring straightened out. Apparently they clamped and leveled the bike....took it down to the triple tree ....and used an inclinometer and level to get it perfect. The tech spent the better part of a day at it.
REALLY looking forward to hearing how this went. So, was there an issue with the forks or bars not being aligned or was it just the faring? Hoping they'll be able to fix mine!!!! Took some better photos with the wheel pointed perfectly straight. The red line extends straight to the seat bolt in the center of the rear fender so it's the tank that's out of whack.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
REALLY looking forward to hearing how this went. Hoping they'll be able to do the same with mine!!!! Took some better photos with the wheel pointed perfectly straight. The red line extends straight to the seat bolt in the center of the rear fender so it's the tank that's out of whack.
Ok, that is f*n crazy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, that is f*n crazy.
Yeah, pretty much. It's interesting, with the faring tilted like that and driving straight down the road, it creates an optical illusion that fools the brain into thinking I'm drifting to the right and instinctually I press on the left bar to "straighten her out" Funny how the eyes and brain work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bringing it in this week to get it checked out. They want their master mechanic to work on it. Another clue is that if I lift both hands off the bars for even a sec, the bike wants to lean over to the left. Only way to keep it upright Is to lean my whole body to the right. Wondering if 6 gallons of gas not sitting centered over the frame has the bike off-balance.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Bringing it in this week to get it checked out. They want their master mechanic to work on it. Another clue is that if I lift both hands off the bars for even a sec, the bike wants to lean over to the left. Only way to keep it upright Is to lean my whole body to the right. Wondering if 6 gallons of gas not sitting centered over the frame has the bike off-balance.
Probably a factor, but not all of it. The bikes are not symmetrical, the primary on the left is pretty heavy, and whatever is in your bags may not be 100% evenly weighted.

I think a stock bike with empty bags would probably naturally drift left a bit if you take your hands off the bars.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Probably a factor, but not all of it. The bikes are not symmetrical, the primary on the left is pretty heavy, and whatever is in your bags may not be 100% evenly weighted.

I think a stock bike with empty bags would probably naturally drift left a bit if you take your hands off the bars.
I understand the bike isn't symmetrical but with the bags empty you have to lean right or apply constant pressure on the right handlebar to keep it upright. Also tried 3 different seats and they all are offset to the right when looking at the tank/console below yet appear directly centered over the frame. Also, the console is stamped steel and has no flexibility. If I loosen the top mounting bolt and try to swing the bottom to the right, it won't sit flat on the tank. Have a feeling it's probably a combo of things:
  1. Asymmetrical tank.
  2. Front fairing adjustment.
  3. Front forks out of whack.
Dropped it off yesterday and they asked if I was going to stay and wait for the bike, but once the mechanic took a closer look, he said it could be a few days. Thinking I got a Friday 4:59pm build because when I removed the saddle bags, the saddlebag bracket on one side had a missing bolt and on the other side, one bolt was loose and the other bolted in backwards. (Took care of those issues myself). LOL. Fingers crossed they'll get this sorted out and I'll be back in the seat sometime this weekend. :)

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Sounds a bit deeper as you describe it more. I'm curious to see what they find and make right by you. Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts