Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently won a full face helmet. I decided to wear it yesterday because it was a bit cool and looked like rain. It was tolerable until I hit 60 MPH. At that point, my head was being bounced around by wind turbulence so bad that road signs were blurry and I got a headache before I went 2 miles. To make matters worse, the shield constantly fogged up, it was hot and so loud, I couldn't hear my radio at full volume. I got back home ASAP and threw the darn thing in the garbage. A friend said I need to experiment with different helmets until I found the right one. I told him to buy me one of each and I would. I will never again even consider a full lace.
Thanks for letting me rant.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
If you really want one for riding in the rain, you need to find one that fits you and is ventilated.

From my experience with give away helmets they are usually the ones that cost the business giving it away the least amount of money.

If you want to try helmets on for fit, wash your hair, style it nice, shave very closely and walk in your local metric dealer. I find you will be much better received the better your grooming especially when it comes to trying on helmets in a retail setting. Here locally the metric dealers carry a larger selection of manufacturers, sizes, styles and colors. In my opinion most HD dealers don't carry that great a selection of helmets beyond the ones made for Harley by other manufacturers. They will usually have a good selection of sizes but not color or styles.

There are many factors that go into a full face helmet, the most important is fit and comfort. It must fit tight on your head, not squeezing tight but snug. It should also be snug in the cheek cushions. If the helmet moves at all, it will lessen your degree of protection.

There are many choices for sun shields within the helmet, fixed or modular, removable modular, ventilation, com systems etc.

The point I'm making is not to throw all full face helmets in the trash because one free one did not fit you well and created more problems than what it was worth (free).

There are other factors as well such as your current wind management on your bike, weather that day and your mood that day.

If you still want to try a full face take my suggestions above and give it a shot. It still may be that a full face is just not to your liking, your style of riding and your fitment and that is just fine.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
I recently won a full face helmet. I decided to wear it yesterday because it was a bit cool and looked like rain. It was tolerable until I hit 60 MPH. At that point, my head was being bounced around by wind turbulence so bad that road signs were blurry and I got a headache before I went 2 miles. To make matters worse, the shield constantly fogged up, it was hot and so loud, I couldn't hear my radio at full volume. I got back home ASAP and threw the darn thing in the garbage. A friend said I need to experiment with different helmets until I found the right one. I told him to buy me one of each and I would. I will never again even consider a full lace.
Thanks for letting me rant.
I can't stand them either.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Full face helmets are a lot like seats. Might have to try a few before you find one that fits you properly. I have 2 modular helmets from the same manufacturer but different series in the same size. One fits me great and I wear it any time I'm on a long trip. The other one rattles around like what you described and sets on the shelf gathering dust.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Helmet may not be the problem!

I have a full face (Scorpion) and my wife just started wearing one; we want to communicate easily on our trip to CA and listen to music and such. We took a 600 mile trip last weekend and were glad to have the full face when the rains hit!
I have the dreaded Madstad windshield and we experience no turbulence with the windshield adjusted properly. Your turbulence could be from the windshield; I am guessing it would be even worse with a shorty helmet. But I don't know your whole situation so it is only a guess! :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Motorcycle helmet Helmet Headlamp Personal protective equipment Automotive lighting

I wore half helmets for years and got tired of being beaten up by angry bees at 70 MPH and everything else that comes flying down the road. A good full face helmet with the proper fit and features is worth its weight in gold, This helmet last me about four years and saved my face last march.

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
I have a Nolan N104 modular , which is great in cool to cold weather and rain , spendy , but worth it . Don't expect much from a "free" helmet ..

Oh and mine doesn't have "Full Lace" either :eek:

There's prolly the diff there ..

JtB

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have a Nolan N104 modular , which is great in cool to cold weather and rain , spendy , but worth it . Don't expect much from a "free" helmet ..

JtB
Damn, I missed that, had to go back and look. So these new full lace helmets, you lace them up like the old fashioned corsets from a century or so ago?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I use a modular for the interstate... You can flip it open when going slow through towns.. When cold, I open the faceshield one click and the fogging problem goes away...

·
Registered
440 Posts
I use a modular for the interstate... You can flip it open when going slow through towns.. When cold, I open the faceshield one click and the fogging problem goes away...
Many of the full face and modular's come with a "Pinlock" fog free lens. Works very well in rain and fog conditions and no need to crack open the main lens allowing rain water to enter.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
12,818 Posts

JtB

Damned JTB, you're a frugal guy ... ordering that half lace helmet you have. You could have gotten the "full lace" for just a couple dollars more.
:rolleyes:

·
Shark of the Month October 13
12,818 Posts
Hunnert years ago I used to race flat track and also scrambles (for the benefit of the young members here it was what they now call motocross) so wearing a helmet pretty much became routine for me. If you don't see enough advantages like protection from the rain, blowing sand, and June bugs (that split your forehead open when they run into you at 75 mph), then you may never find a full face you're totally comfortable with. When you're not used to wearing one they feel so damned awkward and heavy and a giant PIA! I think you have to WANT to wear one before you'll take the time to purchase one using the method Calgary Glide described earlier in this thread. I honestly don't know how so many riders ride with something other than a fill face after dark during bug season. I rode about 125 miles last night after dark and by the time I got home I could barely see through the shield it was so covered in bugs. I carry a small 4 oz. squirt bottle of shield cleaner or windex in my TP that I could have used if I was going further.

I ride with the shield fully open if it's daytime and good weather. I have arthritis pretty bad in my neck and having the shield open actually catches some air and lightens the weight of the helmet on my neck. Benefit for old farts.

I won't leave my yard without a helmet, but that's a personal decision I make every time I ride. It's not for everyone, at least until state laws force people to wear one, and I'll argue against that every day. It should be a personal decision if you're 18+. That's our helmet law here in Maine and I think it's fair.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but just a month ago I saw two riders collide right in front of me at Laconia Bike Week. I'd been riding behind them for a while. Guy with half helmet walks away with only a broken collar bone. Other guy without helmet doesn't regain consciousness the whole time he's laying in the middle of the road bleeding from both nostrils and his right ear. They took him to the local full service hospital but due to the severity of his head trauma, they then Life Flighted him to a Regional Level 1 Trauma center. No clue if he'll come out the other side whole or not, or if he even lived. When you see that happen 50 ft. in front of you you become even more convinced the wearing some kind of helmet is a good decision for you as an individual.

End of today's sermon. Tryin' to keep it real.

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
Life on skid row , need to hook up for the Springfield Mile one year , long overdue for another visit there ..

I remember scrambles , and Roger DeCoster and Torsten Hallman , and Ake Jonssen ...

Jeez

JtB

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Still have my Simpson '75, wore it here for yrs cause had to, coming from non nazi south, changed to Bennies when went 2-up back mid-90's, we've been down hard with with cheapies a couple, guess they could put hardware in your head:eek:, we still sport the same fu helmets unmarked.....

I thinking passive riders are some to blame for those laughing at blowing us off
Ranting or need to get laid :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
2,716 Posts
The problem isnt the helmet its the wind mgt of the bike IMO, or at least at a minimum a combination of the tow.

I ride often times with a FF with NO issues at all, but I also ride with taller windshields.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Switched to a Bell Modular about a year ago after wearing a half helmet for the last 10 years. Definitely took some time to get comfortable with. The key thing is getting the right size and wind management of the bike itself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.