Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3 or 4 upgrades to my system I am still unhappy. What made me unhappy was listening to the new Boom Audio Stage 2 system. I'm going to be chasing that sound now.

Presently I have two Soundstream 4.520 amps pushing all Polk speakers. I have 4 DXI650s in the front. I have two more DXI650s in my tourpack with bass ports. I have two DXI691 in my lids. Also I sent my factory radio off the IronCross and had the preamp modification done.

I set this system up this way because of cost and space. I have under a $1000 in this present setup. I retained all my space as well for baggage. After all it still is a RG Ultra. After hearing the concept of a full range speaker, it has me intrigued. What speaker amp combination will give me that rich sound I'm looking for that will not distort music that has bass?

· Registered
4,839 Posts
What's your budget?

You have all the stuff in the correct places you may just need an upgrade in components. Before you do anything else I would try installing an aftermarket head unit.

· Another ICON
13,718 Posts
I'd recommend you go to a few bike nights or some place where there's a few bikes with custom sound systems. IMO the Boom sounds ok, but there's so much more for a lot less $$$$. Plus what you're looking for is your opinion, the Boom may be the best for you.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've looked at the aftermarket head unit idea, but I want to retain my communications. My wife rides sometimes and she likes to talk. Is there a such thing as a full range 6.5 that I can turn my amp settings in the front to that setting? I have full range in the back, but of course I have 6x9s in the lids. I can turn my system up, but I get that tingy sound and not a rich sound going down the highway.

· Registered
592 Posts
Pryda if you buy 60.00 speakers they are going to sound like 60.00 speakers,that I'm sure sound better than boom shit! use your head and read some more! boom audio is shit.if you replace your speakers with hybrid audio imagen series and tune your amp you will be blown away.I don't think you have enough amp.?

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I talked to a local Car Audio tech this past weekend and I think I know what my problem is. The speakers I have are marine grade and have a very good frequency range for the money. I could get the new version of them. The biggest thing that was brought out was that my amp is my problem.

The Soundstream 4.520 amp doesn't have a crossover that will allow you to take advantage of the 35 Hz that my speaker will get down to. If I upgrade to the Soundstream 4.1000d I should be able to dial in the right bass frequency for that speaker. He recommended taking it down to 50 Hz on that amp and I'll see I big difference.

For the money I'll go in this direction.

· Registered
4,839 Posts
I talked to a local Car Audio tech this past weekend and I think I know what my problem is. The speakers I have are marine grade and have a very good frequency range for the money. I could get the new version of them. The biggest thing that was brought out was that my amp is my problem.

The Soundstream 4.520 amp doesn't have a crossover that will allow you to take advantage of the 35 Hz that my speaker will get down to. If I upgrade to the Soundstream 4.1000d I should be able to dial in the right bass frequency for that speaker. He recommended taking it down to 50 Hz on that amp and I'll see I big difference.

For the money I'll go in this direction.

Are you on Facebook? Check out the garage bagger audio forum. Nothing but good things to say about the 4.520. They don't say the same about the 4.1000d. There have been several posts about people being disappointed in it.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I didn't have 4 sets of speakers I would probably go with a pricier and better quality speaker. I'm definitely looking at replacing them, but I need a bang for the buck type speaker.

· Registered
80 Posts
Everything sounds better while sitting still in the garage, parking lot or showroom. With that being said, I believe the Hybrid Audio (HAT) speakers work very well. Biketronics 7.1 speaker is actually a HAT speaker with the Biketronics label on it. Of course you should understand that the ambient highway noise will reduce a lot of the low end you might otherwise get in a car, living room, etc. With that being said the HAT speakers deliver rich, full sound. Another you might consider is the Focal 165s. However, the latter are a bit more pricey. Also...put more of your money into the amp and speakers in FRONT of you. Rear speakers are more for your wife than you, as the sound physics make it very difficult to get a large amount of the quality audio from the rear speakers (situated behind you) to your ears at highway speeds. You will hear the speakers in your upper and lower fairing much more. JMHO...

· Registered
230 Posts
I have brand new in box Hawgwired 6.5 inch 100W speakers for $175
$100 off retail

· Registered
8 Posts
Everything sounds better while sitting still in the garage, parking lot or showroom. With that being said, I believe the Hybrid Audio (HAT) speakers work very well. Biketronics 7.1 speaker is actually a HAT speaker with the Biketronics label on it. Of course you should understand that the ambient highway noise will reduce a lot of the low end you might otherwise get in a car, living room, etc. With that being said the HAT speakers deliver rich, full sound. Another you might consider is the Focal 165s. However, the latter are a bit more pricey. Also...put more of your money into the amp and speakers in FRONT of you. Rear speakers are more for your wife than you, as the sound physics make it very difficult to get a large amount of the quality audio from the rear speakers (situated behind you) to your ears at highway speeds. You will hear the speakers in your upper and lower fairing much more. JMHO...

Hi,

This is a great post, not because it mentions us (thanks!) but because it covers almost everything we tell people 25 times a day.

I completely agree on having realistic expectations for bass, it is impossible to get the same kind of bass you get in a car on a bike. Just starting the motor immediately creates a huge amount of bass cancelling low frequency vibration. If you are building a bike to show off in parking lots with tons of bass that is one thing, but if you actually use the bike and want accurate, warm, and clear sound at any speed on the highway that is a different animal. To do that takes a lots of power, a good source setup properly, and accurate speakers that are capable of moving a ton of air.

A lot of speakers change the sound, sometimes adding more treble and mids than bass (used as a trick to make them "louder"), or in some cases more bass. Anything that does that hurts your enjoyment when you crank them to the crazy levels that we have to on our bikes.

Thats why you can have a bike that seems crazy loud but is fatiguing to listen to for very long (too much treble and mid) or one that has a lot of bass in your driveway but distorts when you crank it up (too much bass).

One correction to Ronnie Garys post though, our 7.1" speaker is specifically made for us by HAT, not just a re-labeled part.

I tested dozens of speakers before choosing the HAT 6.5" for its power handling, efficiency, and amazing full-range clarity at speed. Nothing else anywhere near the cost came close to the clarity at speed achieved with the HAT products.

After using those for a couple years we asked HAT to help design and build for us the best speaker we could fit into the fairings. We gave input based on our 14 years of HD audio experience and are extremely pleased with the resulting 7.1" speaker.

Bill

· Registered
80 Posts
Hi,

This is a great post, not because it mentions us (thanks!) but because it covers almost everything we tell people 25 times a day.

I completely agree on having realistic expectations for bass, it is impossible to get the same kind of bass you get in a car on a bike. Just starting the motor immediately creates a huge amount of bass cancelling low frequency vibration. If you are building a bike to show off in parking lots with tons of bass that is one thing, but if you actually use the bike and want accurate, warm, and clear sound at any speed on the highway that is a different animal. To do that takes a lots of power, a good source setup properly, and accurate speakers that are capable of moving a ton of air.

A lot of speakers change the sound, sometimes adding more treble and mids than bass (used as a trick to make them "louder"), or in some cases more bass. Anything that does that hurts your enjoyment when you crank them to the crazy levels that we have to on our bikes.

Thats why you can have a bike that seems crazy loud but is fatiguing to listen to for very long (too much treble and mid) or one that has a lot of bass in your driveway but distorts when you crank it up (too much bass).

One correction to Ronnie Garys post though, our 7.1" speaker is specifically made for us by HAT, not just a re-labeled part.

I tested dozens of speakers before choosing the HAT 6.5" for its power handling, efficiency, and amazing full-range clarity at speed. Nothing else anywhere near the cost came close to the clarity at speed achieved with the HAT products.

After using those for a couple years we asked HAT to help design and build for us the best speaker we could fit into the fairings. We gave input based on our 14 years of HD audio experience and are extremely pleased with the resulting 7.1" speaker.

Bill
Thanks for the response, Bill. And I stand corrected on the re-labeling statement. Of all the motorcycle speakers I have had so far (I've had the same bike for seven years, and I have had Titan 6.5, Hawg Wired SX and ZX series, J&M 7.25 and Rokker, and the ARC Moto) and I think yours is the best I have heard, with the ARC being a close second. My only issue with the ARC is the durability, as I blew them up within a few months. I've heard the Focals and they sound great. But I have yet to hear them on a motorcycle at highway speeds, with the sound cranked up and the EQ adjusted, etc. Since I ride long distances, being able to listen to the stereo for a long time without my head ringing is important to me. Thanks for validating what my stereo guy (Paul at Streetnoyz in San Diego) has told me and what I have told folks for the past few years.

Keep the rubber down and the shiny side up!

· Registered
47 Posts
Are these speakers options waterproof?

· Registered
10 Posts
Need 6 speakers

I also have the Picasso nano pd4.50
I love this amp I have used this Amp when I also owned Victories and Have 1 in my Girlfriends bike.
I want to replace the speakers in the fairing
I Added hard lowers that need speakers
I added a truck I want to add speakers

What I have now Is the Harley stage 1 speakers in the front and in the trunk nothing in the hard lowers yet.

· Registered
234 Posts
What's your budget?

You have all the stuff in the correct places you may just need an upgrade in components. Before you do anything else I would try installing an aftermarket head unit.
Yea that what I did cause my display went out, couldn't believe how much better the Kenwood sounds, but u loose your cb and its harder to see the display

· Registered
2,100 Posts

Focals are the best sounding, most clear speakers I've ever heard. Period. Hertz are second, but not a close second.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.