Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I turned the Ignition Switch and/or the Accessory Switch on the console this morning, I noticed a fairly long (maybe 20-30 seconds) "whirring" that eventually stopped. It's not the fuel pump, since that I hear that too, but that goes away in the normal time. The sound appears to be coming from the stock head unit. Or at least in that area. It sounds like some gears are spinning - if it's the head unit, I don't have a CD in there, but maybe it's checking to see if a CD is in? It does go away, and then when I switch off and then switch back on to the Ignition or Accessory switch I no longer hear the sound.

I repeated this an hour later, and the same thing happened again.

Maybe it's normal, and I just never noticed it. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
For shits and giggles try putting a cd in to see what it does. It is possible that its looking for a cd upon initial power up or maybe kinda like resetting its position? It can still be energized sorta speak for a few secs when you turn the switch off and back on again and nothing is heard. Thats why youll hear it again after it sits for awhile and not right after you shut it off then right back on

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Try turning the radio off right away to make sure it's the radio.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks all for your responses. I'll try the suggestions. It doesn't sound like the fuel pump to me, as I do hear that sound (more of a high pitched whir) which then goes off (I think)...this one continues past that and my ears are telling me that it's coming from around the head unit. But then again, my ears aren't as good as they once were...:D

Kind of does this - whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....whir....whir....whir....whir... and then stops. Lasts about 20 seconds. Helpful, aren't I! :rolleyes:

Maybe that is the fuel pump and I just haven't really heard it in full pressurize mode before, since most times I am outside with my helmet on when I start her up.

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
The fuel pump will be a steady noise for a few secs, maybe 5 secs. Unless theres something wrong with it, it wont cycle several times as described

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like the sled motor in the CD drive.
Check to see if the CD works.
This could be it. I use CD's fairly regularly, and it seems to work just fine now, but maybe it's going south.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fuel pump will be a steady noise for a few secs, maybe 5 secs. Unless theres something wrong with it, it wont cycle several times as described
Thanks - mine does that - I can hear it come on and then off in about 5 seconds as you describe. I'm leaning towards a possible issue with the CD unit, although it seems to work just fine.

·
Super Moderator
2,890 Posts
I had the same symptoms on mine and could never figure out what it was...until I took the fairing off and discovered that my amp has a little cooling fan. Seems it starts automatically when the switch is turned. Could that be what you've got?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts