Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me congratulate Maine on their presentation and winning the vote.

i know that all that attend SWIV will have a fabulous time. The bar has been set even higher again by Stray Mutt and Nutter Mutter as hosts. The expectation of the hoard of sharks will be even greater for Maine. I personally would like to read about attendance numbers north of 200 bikes and 250 people total. That would be a stellar accomplishment.

Second, Texas is a strong contender as well, I saw the rides that Andyman put together for the weekend meet and greet that was held in the spring and that area is certainly compelling to ride in. I am sure there will be a future SW in that part of the U.S.

I threw the "toque" (tooke) into the ring for SWIV really because I believe that there should be competition for SW. A location should not be unopposed, there are just too many great places to ride in North America.

That being said, I personally will not be putting together a presentation for SW-V. I truly believe in the rotation of east central west. I believe this "exposes" the opportunity for the maximum number of members to attend when the venue is in the central location. Therefore I will leave it to those in the central states of middle America to battle it out for SW-V.

I will however most likely submit a bid for a future SW when it fits into the rotation for a western locale.

To all those that voted for Calgary/Banff/Canada, thank you, merci. I appreciate(d) the support. To all those that voted for Texas, your turn will come for sure.

Lastly this is my own personal belief, if there is a Shark Week event that is within a 3-4 days ride (at 400+miles a day)from your home, you should really suck it up, put on your big boy or big girl panties and ride. If it means you have to ride all interstate to get there, then do it. To experience the genuine friendship, the lack of booze addled idiots and really just enjoy the atmosphere that is SW you need to get on your bike and ride to it period. No excuses about rain, I don't like interstates, it's too hot somewhere, it's too cold there, I can't bring my gun, if you have to make such soft excuses then don't come it's not for you. There are people that genuinely want to attend and can't for family and monetary reasons. Reasons such as family and lack of funds are not an excuse they are a reality.

If you don't attend, you can't vote for the next location and if your not willing to put in the effort to go exercise your vote you also lose the privilege to bitch about where the next one is.

So it's up to you, sit in the chair at the computer and complain or get your ass on your Road glide and ride it. That is what you bought for right?

Calgaryglide

·
Super Moderator
2,890 Posts
Very well stated, Troy. That's about as succinct as it gets in describing what Shark Week is all about. Who'd have thought that a guy with two beer cans stuck to his head could elicit such lucid prose? ;):D

Since a Calgary Shark Week is not in the near future, I guess I'll just have to ride up there with a few dozen of my South of the Border friends and enjoy a mini SW.

W

·
0 Posts
Very well stated, Troy.
Since a Calgary Shark Week is not in the near future, I guess I'll just have to ride up there with a few dozen of my South of the Border friends and enjoy a mini SW.
I agree whole heartedly with you. Troy and John will have to set a convenient date for a mini SW and I'll be there.

I'm still not going to Maine, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Very well put calgeryglide. I look forward to your presentation and hope you get an opportunity to host a SW.

I understood every word the Canadian wrote except "toque". On the other hand my American friend Stray Mutt has me searching for a dictionary. LOL

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Troy
Well said and i think a lot of people think along the same lines as you expressed . Everyone at this SW had an opion about here and there but that was the great part, we are blessed with some great roads all over this land. When people are passionate about things and are willing to go the extra mile to show others what they ride in their backyard . That is what makes this SW week such a succes

·
Administrator
10,388 Posts
agree and I look forward to a SW in Canadia ..

I have been blessed to be in a position where I can usually go might near anywhere time wise and financially , I had plans to attend I , II and III , and life interrupted each one ..

Hopefully Maine will work for me/us

JtB

·
Registered
84 Posts
We were in Glacier NP last summer and really enjoyed riding in and around Canada. Calgury would be a great place for a GTG. If you ever decide on a mini, please post and we will be there. Got it planned already: 395 from Noth San Diego to Spokane, Whitefish MT for a little zip lining, Glacier NP, and on to Calgary. Lou and Terry

·
Registered
142 Posts
I plan on taking the scenic Canadian route all the way over to Maine next year. I think it would be cool to have a rally up there with you Canucks, EH!!!!

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,133 Posts
Great post; Banff would be hard to beat for a Shark Week. Been there, and it's fantastic country, with amazing roads for M/C riding. And your comments were spot on. I would personally love to go the the Great White North; sooner the better (clarification; in the summer at typical SW time. You guys have ten months winter and two months bad sledding...).

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I don't think you addressed the issue of the Canadian government not letting U.S. citizens with even minor convictions into their country.

If you've been caught on video tape at WalMart going thru the express line with 22 items, the Canucks don't want you in their country! (Now if you were a draft dodger from the Viet Nam era,..well..."Come in and sit by the fire, Son, while we get you a cold beer.") :D:D

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Not that I disagree with your comments, but has there been "bitching" about the location of SW that I missed on here somewhere?

I would like to see a SW in Canada and be able to attend. Just had a friend fly up to Red Deer and meet anther friend for a tour to the Pacific coast. The pictures were amazing.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
My buddies and I have really wanted to ride the area what a great excuse if there was a Shark Week there. Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Well said Calgaryride. I understood what you meant by throwin in that torque wrench.We talk funny down here in the South too.
Seriously that was very well said and would be honored to attend a SW in Canada one year.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
my sentiments exactly. well said

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Troy, an excellent post! When SW gets to the GWN you and John can count me in the column of will be attending. It was a pleasure to see you again and your "off the cuff" presentation damn near stole the show. I wear my Calgary Lone Star HD t-shirt with pride. It is my best momento of SW III. Take care of Miss Louise and I'll see you again on one side of the border or the other.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Maybe we could hole it on the U.S. side in Montana--that way the riders widout a rap sheet could ride into Canada,.... whilst the pimps, pickpockets, and pedophiles in our midst could ride Glacier NP....:)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Not that I disagree with your comments, but has there been "bitching" about the location of SW that I missed on here somewhere?
When the proposed locations for SWIV was presented at SWIII, there were a couple that voiced objections about SW in Canada.
Canada has travel restrictions on some with convictions for DUI or Domestic Violence.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts