Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Myself and 'Bob the Brit' did a 5 hour ride yesterday. Bob is a guy I met while walking our dogs at a city park. He's a long time biker who has dual citizenship. He rides an older Yamaha cruiser. We rode the SW Florida coast, with a stop at a classic car sales showroom in Venice. Their inventory has changed to reflect the high demand for 4 x 4s and classic pick-up trucks, which now represent about half his 100+ car inventory. A Jeep Scrambler, an IH Scout, and four 1st Gen Broncos, along with a bunch of 50s/60s trucks sit alongside the usual assortment of muscle cars, resto-mods, Corvettes, and kit Cobras. We also rode the Manasota Key Rd. which is less than 10 miles long but has beautiful/very expensive homes along both the gulf side and the Lemon Bay side. This road is maintained as one of the state's 'Canopy Roads' where the overhanging trees produce an almost tunnel effect as you ride beneath them. It was 92 degrees yesterday, but the temp on that road must have been at least 10 degrees cooler.

From there, we went to Pop's Sunset Grille where we had some fresh Gulf shrimp and a cold beer. Fresh, wild caught Gulf shrimp have so much more flavor and texture than the typical farm raised shrimp from Asia that have dominated the market in recent years. We rode Siesta Key (Sarasota) and then headed towards home, stopping for a quick look around at the local Harley shop (Black Widow Harley) before calling it a day. The dealership has just done a $2 million remodel of their main building and we had to take a look. Honestly, I don't think the place looks much better, but the 'Mothership' promised them "X" number of additional bikes for it's future yearly allotments for doing it.

You should know by now that I'm not much of a picture taker, and no, there are no pics of yesterday's activities as I didn't even have my phone with me. It was a good day in the wind .... uninterrupted by phone calls or text messages ... just the way I like it.

·
Registered
2021 RGS 128
445 Posts
Sounds like a pretty awesome adventure. One of these days I'll take the bike down to Florida, its just not high on the list of epic rides (lol). I really love Fort Myers beach though and Siesta Key is very pretty. I went to college in Tampa and love the gulf coast, just wish they had some hills!

·
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a pretty awesome adventure. One of these days I'll take the bike down to Florida, its just not high on the list of epic rides (lol). I really love Fort Myers beach though and Siesta Key is very pretty. I went to college in Tampa and love the gulf coast, just wish they had some hills!
More elevation changes, more curves, and less old farts on the road would be wonderful. Whether I lived in NH, Maine, or Colorado, it was always about "the ride", but here in Florida there are so few truly fun roads to ride that it's seldom about 'the ride', mostly it's about the destination - usually a terrific restaurant or bar. When given lemons, make lemonade. On the plus side I now get to ride year round.

·
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
#2 behind my Bucket List of a VW Bus and #3 being a true Cali Surf Woody - 10 years ago I would have been all '63 Vette or '69 Camaro or '70 Nova........bah.....gimmie a Bus, a Scout or a Woody
Hey, hey, Hey! I don't want to hear anything more about giving you a woody ..... Christ, we're cousins, you pervert!

• Haha
Reactions: SteadyEddie

·
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Uncle Fuzzy Where's The Photos!!!!!! 😁
Mike U.
OK smart ass, I already confessed to 'no pictures'! The last 5+ years of my career, the company was bought out by a competitor, and I was expected to be able to respond to an email, cell call, or text with a couple hours of receiving them, regardless of what day it was. When you wake up to take a whizz in the middle of the night and feel compelled to check your phone for messages ..... that gets 'old' pretty quick. The end of the story is that when I retired, I weaned myself off all the digital BS as much as I could and my health numbers showed a marked improvement. I typically only carry my cell when I'm headed out of town/state. Stress - it's a killer.

Reactions: twowheeladdict
1 - 7 of 7 Posts