Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having stage one done this week. Asked about other tuners other than screaming eagle. The dealer told me if I did not USA epa compliant screaming eagle street tuner my warranty would be void. So I guess I am gonna be stuck with a half ass tune.

·
Registered
967 Posts
2017 models going forward that's how the MOCO will roll. Hopefully big companies like Dynojet get a EPA certify tuner. Sucks to stick to only to one choice for the warranty to be granted.
Was told by my local dealer the cat also stays in the headers. Jus slip on replaced.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is a 2016. I asked about PCV and FP3 and they told me it had to be the SE street tuner. He did not say anything about the VandH power duals without the Cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
967 Posts
Like say 2017 going forward no mods other than HD EPA certified.
You have a 2016. Local dealer still supporting older bike tuner.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
If your bike is a 16. He's full of shit. It's the 17 and newer that's being scrutinized. Not to say your dealer can't screw you on it. But mine said no way they'd pull that with myb16. They sold me the FP3 and know my cat is gutted. And they just did warranty work on the dash, fuel cap and primary chain tensioner.

·
Registered
969 Posts
That is complete and utter bullshit. You have a '16, which is automatically grandfathered you into being able to put aftermarket parts on your bike. Now with previous HD warranties, if you put on aftermarket parts after taking delivery/putting stuff on yourself, those parts are not covered under the factory warranty. And if it was found that those aftermarket parts you put on yourself CAUSED an issue, then HD could deny covered warranty work on the bike.

Do you have another dealer close by?

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
Are you guy's sure being grandfathered in is not about the date of sale rather than the year of the bike ?

·
Registered
470 Posts
It is totally up to the dealer if they want to honor the warranty or not. If you modify your bike to be "not compliant" they do not have to honor the warranty, should they "oh hell yes". Case in point, I have several Harley dealers in my town well, the one I go to has no issue with it in fact, we discuss and compare mods but, one just down the road refused to work on a friends 2016 CVO that was burning oil "he actually purchased it from them". Anyway, they gave a bunch of double talk, new pipes who changed your oil? a bunch of crap. I told him to take it to the dealer I go to and he did well they fixed it under warranty with no questions asked. So clearly it depends on the dealer. Oh by the way the CVO had a broken piston ring, dealer stated it was done during installation.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Are you guy's sure it's not about the date of sale rather than the year of the bike ?
If that is the case, I would think there might be some legal ramifications. Customer A buys his 2016 RG the day before EPA/Harley warranty BS comes out, puts aftermarket parts on, and is covered under warranty. Customer B buys the same exact bike the day after EPA/Harley warranty BS comes out, puts on aftermarket parts and is NOT covered? I'm no lawyer, but that sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
If that is the case, I would think there might be some legal ramifications. Customer A buys his 2016 RG the day before EPA/Harley warranty BS comes out, puts aftermarket parts on, and is covered under warranty. Customer B buys the same exact bike the day after EPA/Harley warranty BS comes out, puts on aftermarket parts and is NOT covered? I'm no lawyer, but that sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
I'd bet folks are being told at time of purchase. No law suit for following the LAW.
In retrospect, Most modifications always voided the warranty on paper, most dealer and the MOCO just egnored them.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Are you guy's sure being grandfathered in is not about the date of sale rather than the year of the bike ?
technically, this has been illegal since the '70s. so unless your bike is older than that, there is no 'grandfathered' in. some dealers may not scrutinize the pre-2017s as hard, but in reality, they are not required to do any work on any machine that has been illegally modified.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The dealer told me if I did not USE epa compliant screaming eagle street tuner my warranty would be void.

Any Dealer that says this .... Run.... Run far away....

Warranty issues that are "Directly" related (and proven) to be caused by the installation and function of "ANY" aftermarket product will void that specific warranty claim.

That has been the MOCO position (and others) forever. The installation of any street tuner will only void specific warranty claims if they can prove it was the fault of the tuner.

To say that if your radio stops working after 6 months , that they wont cover it because you have a Thundermax tuner... is insane.

I had this out with my dealer. We both spoke candidly . Answer... It comes down to straight common sense.

But then everyone already knew that... right???

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Any Dealer that says this .... Run.... Run far away....

Warranty issues that are "Directly" related (and proven) to be caused by the installation and function of "ANY" aftermarket product will void that specific warranty claim.

That has been the MOCO position (and others) forever. The installation of any street tuner will only void specific warranty claims if they can prove it was the fault of the tuner.

To say that if your radio stops working after 6 months , that they wont cover it because you have a Thundermax tuner... is insane.

I had this out with my dealer. We both spoke candidly . Answer... It comes down to straight common sense.

But then everyone already knew that... right???
one thing to keep in mind. while we all agree that the magnuson-moss warranty act gives us some protections, most people talk in generalities. sure, if you do an aftermarket exhaust, ac, and tune, and your radio goes out, you'll have no problem getting the radio replaced. but your engine chits the bed, then it could easily be argued that by adding performance parts, you've modified the engine outside of factory parameters and the factory is not going to cover this warranty issue. so for all intents and purposes, your warranty has been 'voided', even though only on the powertrain portion.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pro street tuner

Got the numbers from the dyno tune with the street tuner. Bike has VandH powerduals extreme ventilator air intake and street cannons mufflers. 81HP 92ftlbs. Sounds pretty pathetic to me. Maybe I am used to having a bike that makes big HP. This is my first Harley. Are those numbers ok or is the tuner holding it back or something else?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sounds about right. Stock is mid 70's HP and about 90 ft pounds torque. Looks like your intake/exhaust combo netted you about 5-6 HP. At least you didn't lose any bottom end.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I will pick bike up today and post the sheet. Have not seen it or rode the bike yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's low. But how low? Don't know. In the end are you chasing numbers? See how it rides. How it pulls. If it's any cooler. And are you happy.

I went from a 76hp 88tq 96" to a 100hp 110tq 103. My 96" was more fun to ride. I should say it fit my riding style better. All the torque was at the bottom. The 103 was a pig up to 3k rpm. Ya. After that hang on. But who rides like that all the time?

My 16 has the cat gutted and cvo slip ons with the fullsac baffles and steel mesh wraps and a fp3. Feels like I'm on a stronger version of my 96". I'll be adding a 2-1 this winter which will make it even better.

Don't get lost looking for numbers. This bike is not your last one.

Hope you get it where ya want it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts