Road Glide banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had a problem with one side of my GADS and emailed the owner directly. he remedied the problem right away. The bolts that hold the GADS on, under the fairing are ordinary hardware store stock. (probably 1/4 - 20?) No excuse for missing hardware but if in a rush to mount them the bolts are available locally. A word of advice based on my experience on my 15 RGS, the factory threaded inserts that are used to mount the GADS may not be dead even with the bottom edge of the outer fairing. If you tighten the bolts too much you could crack the plastic around the mounting holes. To remedy the situation, if it exists on your bike, use flat washers on both sides of the mounting holes of the GAD. Also, the instructions says to torque the bolts to 20 ft/lbs, that seemed heavy to me on plastic so I torqued them to 10 ft/lbs with blue locktite.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, found a phone number on my invoice and got my missing hardware and all is good......goldie

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had a problem with one side of my GADS and emailed the owner directly. he remedied the problem right away. The bolts that hold the GADS on, under the fairing are ordinary hardware store stock. (probably 1/4 - 20?) No excuse for missing hardware but if in a rush to mount them the bolts are available locally. A word of advice based on my experience on my 15 RGS, the factory threaded inserts that are used to mount the GADS may not be dead even with the bottom edge of the outer fairing. If you tighten the bolts too much you could crack the plastic around the mounting holes. To remedy the situation, if it exists on your bike, use flat washers on both sides of the mounting holes of the GAD. Also, the instructions says to torque the bolts to 20 ft/lbs, that seemed heavy to me on plastic so I torqued them to 10 ft/lbs with blue locktite.

Don't know if the newer bikes have a metal insert for the fairing screws or not.

If not and its plastic last time I used Locktite on a plastic application it ate away the plastic.
It was on turn signal covers those damn things just fell off leaving the screws in the housing.

Just FYI for you.

Drifter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts