Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys been doing some research and trying to determine best option available to me.

I have a 4-car tandem garage that I would like to heat during the winter so I can work on the RG and my other bike projects.

I have been looking at just the portable propane heaters to give me a more localized heat, but it seems that most of that heat would just get lost in the rest of the garage. Also, seems like you need to keep a window or door open for the CO2 venting, which would be counter productive to me.

Started looking at the non-vented Hot Dawg, but it seems as moisture is pretty bad on those and would need to run an evaporator as well.

Finally, found the vented Hot Dawg (60,000 btu) for about $650 + installation.

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
I don't know if you're talking about the round burners that attach to the top the propane tank but I have one of those and it kinda sucks for heating a certain section of the garage. They're great if you're standing directly in front of the burner but off to the side it doesn't work as well. I have a 2 car garage and it doesn't heat it very good. Seems to waste a lot of propane.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I had a mini Split heat pump installed in mine, not the cheapest route but it makes summer time bearable (no actually comfortable) in my garage in the Phoenix summer and on a cool morning provides tons of heat.

One has to remember they really don't work very well when temps get really cold.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That is the best in my book. I did the same in a 3 car and turn it on about 1/2 hr before going to work on the bike at approx. 60 degrees. Works great. Side vented and fan shoots heat all through the space. I have no insulation in the area except for doors.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I love my Mr Heater Big Maxx. It's very quiet and heats up very fast. Mine is only 50000 btu. Garage is all insulated. They offer a 80k btu for bigger spaces. I go out in the garage and just set my thermostat.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a propane heater and it really puts out heat but goes through fuel like crazy.

In a couple of years I'm going to build one of those DIY waste oil heaters. You'll find examples of them youtube. Killer...

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I bought mine from Lowes. They sell the 80000 btu for $580.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
An electric radiant heater hanging above your area might be an option. I've put them in garage work areas but they do like power.
That's exactly what I did last year. Works very well. I turn it on 30 minutes or an hour before I start working. It raises the temp in my 2 car garage 20-25 degrees in that time.

Like you say, though, be prepared to watch your electric meter go spinning. :)

The one I have is very similar to this one:

·
Registered
875 Posts
That's exactly what I did last year. Works very well. I turn it on 30 minutes or an hour before I start working. It raises the temp in my 2 car garage 20-25 degrees in that time.

Like you say, though, be prepared to watch your electric meter go spinning. :)

The one I have is very similar to this one: Amazon.com - NewAir G73 Electric Garage Heater - Safe and Reliable Heat for 500 Sq Ft - Space Heaters
had similiar unit in a 625 SF detach, insulated garage. Lived in Illinois (near St. Louis) with that one and was able to keep garage 70 degrees during coldest days. I spend a lot of time in my shop, so it ran constantly in the winter, cost about $100 a month in electric.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I have a Empire brand wall mount vented heater,its propane with an optional blower,if the power goes out it will still work,my garage is not a 4 car garage,but it is heavily insulated,leave it set on 60 all winter,have a 250 gal tank behind the garage.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
2 car detached non insulated garage with a Kerosene torpedo heater here. Crack open a window and fire it up for an hour before I go out to the garage. Shut it off once I'm in there. I make sure I open up the tool box too so the tools warm up a little.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Had some of the coldest winters on record last year in Michigan. Kept my garage 70 degrees no problem. I would turn it down to 40 when I left and then just turn it back up before I went in the garage. Had no problem keeping it 70 when it was -10 outside.

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
I use a 200,000 btu propane convection heater attached to a 50-gallon tank. I go out and fire it up 30-minutes prior to going in the garage and it takes the chill off quite well. When it's 20-degrees outside I can work in just a long sleeve shirt. With Propane you do not need to vent your garage by leaving a door or window open.

My garage is a detached non insulated pole barn 28' x 24' with 12' ceiling.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
For the past five years, I have had a vented 60,000 BTU Hot Dawg in my two car garage. $500 from a local supplier. Hardest part was running a gas line.

I am VERY satisfied with it. I turn it on once the Christmas lights are up around Thanksgiving, and I shut it off in the early spring. The room over the garage stays warmer, and my chemicals, waxes, etc don't freeze. As I type this, I heard it turn on, letting me know my toys are nice and warm.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have a full size central hot air oil furnace in mine. Friend of a neighbor gave it to me to get it out of his basement. I have it hooked to a 55 gal drum under my workbench with an outside fill. I dump a 5 gal can of kero or diesel
in it every now and then. Lot of guys up here put Miller gun furnaces out of house trailers in the garage. The true believers have a giant ass wood stove ( usually made from a 275 oil tank, truck rims welded together, etc.)Cant work on the pulp truck unless its 90 in the shop.

Got a 300 gal propane pig behind the garage now for the Jotul stove in the house, Soon as I find a deal on a Reznor gas furnace, I'll mount that up high and take out the oil burner, free up 25 sq ft of floorspace.

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
2 car detached non insulated garage with a Kerosene torpedo heater here. Crack open a window and fire it up for an hour before I go out to the garage. Shut it off once I'm in there. I make sure I open up the tool box too so the tools warm up a little.
Approx what temps can you get out of one of those torpedo heaters? Sounds like we have the same garage. Mine is a 2 car detached non insulated as well

·
Registered
69 Posts
Approx what temps can you get out of one of those torpedo heaters? Sounds like we have the same garage. Mine is a 2 car detached non insulated as well
They get pretty warm and they move a lot of air, but you need to have a window or door part way open. I run mine until it's comfortable then shut it off until it gets cold again. Pretty economical on kerosene, or diesel if I can't find kerosene nearby. 55,000 BTU will get a 2 car garage toasty PDQ.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts