Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to make the plunge for a Garmin 660 so I can download my own routes, somehow i always get volunteered to lead rides. I know it has lots of bells and whistles, but I just want the GPS part and the ability to download rides..any Pro's and Con;s welcome.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
I love my 660. It has stood the test of time and terrible roads and although it's battle scarred and looks like $hit, it still functions perfectly. I have a 16Gb micro SD card loaded with tunes and I tied it to my Audible account for audiobooks.

That said, I wouldn't bother using Garmin's Basecamp app for route planning. It sucks. It's about as intuitive as the US tax code and is about as popular as Bandidos in Waco. Nevertheless, Garmin has stuck with it since its release a few years ago. I use the online Harley Ride Planner. You can import and export routes, share them with others and store them on the cloud privately or publicly.

Hope this helps.

· Gone But Not Forgotten
2,339 Posts
I use http://tyretotravel.com to create routes. Seriously easy to use, and the maps are live Google maps, so the roads are up to date. The best part is, you select point A to point B. Then you drag the route to how you want to go. Every time you drag the route, it creates a "hard" waypoint, the the GPS can't ignore.

I love the fact that I can concentrate on the ride, and scenery, and let the GPS do all the work.

Mine lives on the fairing above the radio, and has never led me off a cliff. :eek:

Here's what the program looks like. This is the free version

· Gone But Not Forgotten
2,339 Posts
Noticed that. Playing with it now. (Tyre, that is.) Reasonably intuitive. Sure beats Basecamp!

A piece of paper with hand written directions, like, "Turn at the old barn, with the chickens out front", or, "go 5 miles past the corner where the dead tree used to be", beats Basecamp :rolleyes:

· Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, learned 2 valuable pieces of info.. What did you use for the mount on top of your radio

· Gone But Not Forgotten
2,339 Posts
Thanks guys, learned 2 valuable pieces of info.. What did you use for the mount on top of your radio

Short Ram mount with 2 of these. One for the GPS and the other to mount to the fairing. I used an aluminum plate inside the fairing to provide strength.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
Extract Boot. Close Mouth.

This is where I remove my boot from my mouth and retract my earlier BaseCamp comment.

I wouldn't bother using Garmin's Basecamp app for route planning. It sucks. It's about as intuitive as the US tax code and is about as popular as Bandidos in Waco.
I took advantage of the crappy Dallas weather to watch Don Norwood's video series on BaseCamp. If you've been as frustrated with BaseCamp as I have been, I highly recommend making time to view this free series. Some of them seem a little obvious at first and then he springs gems of information on you such as using shaping waypoints, relying on the mouse wheel, and others that make all the difference. I had heard of and practiced some of these, but applying them after viewing the fundamentals from the earlier videos were like a GPS epiphany. Garmin should pay this guy!

I ran BaseCamp in one screen and followed along with Don's actions in the video as best I could. It helps to pretend you've never opened BaseCamp before and don't connect your GPS device until he does. I had to back up and repeat a few times, but it's well worth the time. I killed more rainy time using the Google Earth integration feature that Don teaches to fly over the twisties for some of the SWV routes and other places I've ridden.

BaseCamp is still about as intuitive as the US Tax Code and probably equally as popular for the uninformed. It's a very powerful tool with features I didn't think I needed prior to watching the videos.

I'm still playing with Tyre and the H-D online tools, but I think I'll be a happy BaseCamper by SWV.

· Registered
87 Posts
Mount

I use TyreToTravel - to create routes. Seriously easy to use, and the maps are live Google maps, so the roads are up to date. The best part is, you select point A to point B. Then you drag the route to how you want to go. Every time you drag the route, it creates a "hard" waypoint, the the GPS can't ignore.

I love the fact that I can concentrate on the ride, and scenery, and let the GPS do all the work.

Mine lives on the fairing above the radio, and has never led me off a cliff. :eek:

Here's what the program looks like. This is the free version

PGR-

Like the set up. How's your GPS unit mounted?

· Registered
1,556 Posts
I would recommend the 660 like the others have said basecamp software sucks. However, the GPS unit is tough. On a ride last week up the 146 to Dayton I hit a bump in the road and the GPS came off the handlebar mounting bracket I was doing 75 mph. Stopped the bike ran back about 300 yards and picked up three pieces; the battery, battery cover and a very road rashed GPS unit. Put everything back together, turned it on and we continue as if nothing had happened. When I arrive home I had to put some silicon sealant in one corn near the ON/OFF button.

· Premium Member
6,370 Posts
if you're looking for a good price on the 660, check out gps city. they have it on sale for $329 right now.

Garmin Zumo 660LM

before ordering, I would call and double check with them that it includes everything that it says 'comes in the box'.

· Registered
68 Posts
If all you want is the ability to download routes then any Garmin will do that with the Base Camp program. The new Garmin590 allows you to actually see the screen in direct sunlight.

· Registered
498 Posts
once you get used to BaseCamp it's ok. I like the fact that it uses the same map as the gps so you don't need an internet signal to find destinations or routes on the laptop and they'll load directly to the gps as intended

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.