Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for some help with Garmin Base Camp. I have it installed on both a Mac & a PC & get same behavior on both.

I create a route, save it, highlight it & click Send to Device. The dialog behaves as if the transfer was successful. However, after disconnecting the GPS (Nuvi 56LMT) from the computer & powering up, I get a screen that says "Cannot save route name". Sure enough, it isn't on the device.

Previously I used Google Maps to create the map.
Then I would export the KMZ file.
Then I would use GPSies or GPSVisualizer websites to convert the KMZ to a GPX.
Then I would import the GPX into MY Collection in Base Camp.
Then I would Create Route from Track and Send (the route) to Device.
This has always worked... but now the converted route is a straight line. Worthless.

So, that's why I thought I would just use Base Camp, but it doesn't appear to be able to send a route to a Garmin GPS.

My GPS is completely up to date, running software version 4.40 and maps 2015.40. My Base Camps are the latest versions also.
I have 1.15 GB free space on the GPS plus an SD card with 15 GB free space, so I no that's not the problem.

I have a big trip coming up and was able to successfully get 18 maps (routes) onto the GPS... the last 3 are giving me grief.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. Tried sending to the device & the SD card.

What's funny is that the process using Google maps etc worked just fine for 18 routes... the last 3 are being a PIA.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First thing that came to mind was does this GPS support custom routes?

I use BC all the time & while it takes a bit of time to learn, it works great.

Here is a pretty good forum for learning & posting problems with BC http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/ma...tart&prettyurl=/GarminBasecamp&gid=2032452135
Yes, it does. I have already created 18 routes & sent them to the device. Actually to 2 of them, as we each have a Garmin Nuvi 56LMT.
It just doesn't want to do the 3 remaining ones.

I'll check out that forum.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So you were able to download 18 routes from basecamp to the GPS just fine, but only the last three are giving you trouble on both GPS's? If it's doing the same thing to both GPS's, I would suggest there is something wrong or corrupt in either the route or the route name... does the route name have any special characters? Could the route name be too long for the GPS? just throwing out ideas, when you export from basecamp, try renaming the route/gpx name to something different/simpler/shorter perhaps just to see if that helps.

Only other thing I can think of right now is perhaps the gps has a limit of how many total routes it can hold? I wouldn't think so, but who knows.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you were able to download 18 routes from basecamp to the GPS just fine, but only the last three are giving you trouble on both GPS's? If it's doing the same thing to both GPS's, I would suggest there is something wrong or corrupt in either the route or the route name... does the route name have any special characters? Could the route name be too long for the GPS? just throwing out ideas, when you export from basecamp, try renaming the route/gpx name to something different/simpler/shorter perhaps just to see if that helps.

Only other thing I can think of right now is perhaps the gps has a limit of how many total routes it can hold? I wouldn't think so, but who knows.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I have tried deleting & redoing the maps/routes from scratch.

I have tried renaming. The names are actually shorter than other routes that weren't problematic. For example I have one that loaded successfully named "Mountain Pine Motel to GNP" and an unsuccessful one is "Kalispell to Ogden". Have tried omitting spaces, although the successful ones all have spaces.

I can import the GPX into Base Camp just fine. I can view it on-screen and it is identical to the map used to generate it.
When I click on the track (in the lower left panel in Base Camp) and select 'Create Route from Track' from the menu, it now creates a route that is a straight line, as if my shark could fly. Previously it generated a route that was identical to the track.

I would suspect it to be a Base Camp issue, but I get the same exact behavior on Mac or PC - so the software is different.

I also suspected that the Nuvi 56 perhaps could only hold so many routes. OK, I deleted a couple but still cannot send successfully.

I have tried 2 different KMZ to GPX conversion sites: GPSies and GPSVisualizer. Both have worked previously - that's how I created the other GPX files.

I thought if I just created the route in Base Camp that I could simplify the whole process. You know, create the route & send it to the device. But that flat out doesn't work. From Base Camp I select the route and 'Send to Device'. A dialog comes up and asks if I want to send routes, tracks, waypoints, etc. No matter what I check (or uncheck) it says the transfer is complete.
But, after disconnecting the GPS from the computer & powering on, I get a message on the GPS that "route name" cannot be saved. Just an OK button. And the new route is not on the GPS.

Very frustrating, to say the least. I replaced an older one with the new Nuvi because it was supposed to support routes. Garmin says it supports routes if it has Trip Planner, which this does.

I'm about ready to toss all 3 of my Garmins in the dumpster.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If Basecamp is just drawing a straight line, then maybe your settings are wrong. Try double clicking on the straight line. It should bring up a dialog box. In the upper right portion are two boxes. One picks the color of the route and the other picks the method. If it says "Direct", then choose driving, or motorcyle and see if that helps.

When you create a direct route it cannot transfer to the GPS. Hopefully that is your issue and it is a really easy fix.

You can set your default preference for the type of routing but first just see if that is your problem.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did check that and the activity is set to Motorcycling, although it sounds like the Mac screen is different than Windows:

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
As mysteriously as it stopped working yesterday, it's partly working today. Now, Base Camp initially draws a straight line when converting a track to a route... then it recalculates and draws a route that is exactly matched to the track.

But, when you 'Send to Device' (the route) it says the transfer is complete. But, when you turn on the GPS you get a message like this for every route you tried to send:

So, it appears that this GPS is only capable of holding about 14 routes in its Trip Planner. Pretty pathetic, as it has 1.15 GB free space on the device & 15.5 GB free on the SD card.
I went to Garmin's site & compared the specs on my Nuvi 56LMT to the Zumo 665LM. They both accommodate 1,000 waypoints. I have to say if 14 routes covering ~ 5,000 miles maxes out these devices they are worfully lacking. Glad I only spent $125 on one.

Oh well... looks like the second half of my trip will be old school (paper maps).

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I deleted 3 routes from the GPS. It still won't allow any new routes to be added.
Think I'm going to do a factory reset on the GPS and start over. If it still doesn't work, it's time to relegate it to a drawer with other useless stuff...

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Oh well... looks like the second half of my trip will be old school (paper maps).

Got 2 GPSs, load half the trip in one and half into the other.

It amazes me how poor Garmin's understanding is of how people travel and use their products.

Wanna see some stupid looks?? Go to a Harley shop and ask them how to move maps from Harley's Ride Planner website onto a USB key and then into the Navigation portion of the Infotainment system.
Not a clue.......

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I may be adding steps that aren't necessary but after I send a file from Basecamp to my GPS, I go into Data and import my new waypoints first, then import the routes. I have not had issues and I have a Zumo 665.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I don't have those functions on a Nuvi 56LMT.
From Base Camp I click the folder that contains the map segment I want to use in the upper left panel. In the lower left panel there are 3 elements: the starting & ending points and the directions (track) - the footprint icon. I right-click the track and select 'create route from track'. Then I have a fourth element in the lower left pane: the route, with a motorcycle icon. I right-click that and select 'send to device'. After it's complete I eject the GPS, disconnect it & power up.
I go to Apps, Trip Planner & see a spinning circle as it brings in the new routes. Except that now it just gives me the error that "route name" can't be saved.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I may be adding steps that aren't necessary but after I send a file from Basecamp to my GPS, I go into Data and import my new waypoints first, then import the routes. I have not had issues and I have a Zumo 665.
Yours is high-end. ;-)

When I turn on my Nuvi I have 2 big icons: Where to? and View Map.
Under that are 4 small icons: Stop, Apps, Volume & Settings.
Apps contains: Help, Backup Camera, ecoRoute, Trip Planner, Traffic, Where I've Been & Last Spot.

The Trip Planner is where the routes sent from Base Camp show up.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I did a complete reset, erased all user data & started over.

It allowed me to import 13 routes - doing them all at once. That is, sending all 13, one by one before disconnecting the device. If I try to add another one I get the error that it can't be saved.

I tried deleting 3 routes. Successful. Now I have 10 routes on the device.
Tried to add a route. Yep, failed. Cannot be saved.

It would appear that you can only import routes once, then you have to do a factory reset & add new ones. That's really effed up.

I have 18 routes I'd like to add. Doesn't seem like that should be stretch for a modern GPS. But, apparently it is.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Can you export the Basecamp gpx files and save them to your hard drive, then connect your GPS, manually copy the gpx files from your hard drive to the GPS, then disconnect the GPS, turn it on and import the routes from from the gpx files which are now stored in your GPS?

That's how I used to do it with Basecamp and Streets & Trips. There is a folder in the GPS which keeps your gpx files... I can't recall what it's called off the top of my head, but it's easy to find. From within the GPS menus you can then import the route from the gpx file. You need to import it, then it will appear in your "where to" trips or routes.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can easily copy anything to either the device or its SD card. But, the Nuvi 56 doesn't have any "import" function accessible from the device.

Where To? and View Map are what you see on power up.
Under that is Stop, Apps, Volume & Settings. No import functionality anywhere.

From what I can see, it actually stores the routes in someplace inaccessible from the computer. I have 13 routes in there and there is no folder with any type of corresponding files.
The device has these folders:
Garmin - contains a log file & a GarminDevice.xml file
GPX folder - contains 3 gpx files - Current, Position & temp
Help
Keyboards
POI
Text
Themes
Vehicle
Voice

·
Registered
538 Posts
Here is how I do a new route using BC.

On upper-left side it shows Library and then a Folder that is called My Collection. Under my collection I have all my routes that I have created. To create a new route I right-click and select new list (when mouse is in the library/my collection area).

Then you can drag/drop any previously created waypoints into your route or start adding/creating waypoints & put them in your route. I typically add my starting waypoint & ending waypoint. Then I click starting waypoint, hold shift & click ending waypoint then right-click & choose create route using selected waypoints.

It will map out the route based on your preferences. Then I go and start adding waypoints as necessary to get it to route how I want to get to my destination. Then I send it to my Nuvi.

I maybe doing it a completely stupid way, but it works. My biggest complaint is adding existing waypoints to my route, many times I see the waypoint I want to add but it comes back with error - select route you want to add this waypoint to.

Hope that helps and not confuse you even more!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I can easily copy anything to either the device or its SD card. But, the Nuvi 56 doesn't have any "import" function accessible from the device.

Where To? and View Map are what you see on power up.
Under that is Stop, Apps, Volume & Settings. No import functionality anywhere.

From what I can see, it actually stores the routes in someplace inaccessible from the computer. I have 13 routes in there and there is no folder with any type of corresponding files.
The device has these folders:
Garmin - contains a log file & a GarminDevice.xml file
GPX folder - contains 3 gpx files - Current, Position & temp
Help
Keyboards
POI
Text
Themes
Vehicle
Voice
1. Connect to the GPS to your computer.

2. In the GPS device (not its SD card), there should be a GPX folder, copy the new gpx file(s) in there. There may already be other "system" gpx fles in there. That's OK.

3. Unplug the GPS from the computer.

4. On my 1490, like yours, I have the "Where To" and "View Map" options when I first turn it on. I also have a smaller icon called Tools. Within Tools, there is an icon called "My Data". Within My Data, is an option called "Import Route(s). Selecting Import Routes allows me to select the gpx files I copied to the GPX folder in Step 2. This route is now accessible to me.

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.