Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having problems with their Garmin Zumo GPS? I have a '11 Road Glide CVO that came equipped with the Garmin Zumo GPS that has all the HD dealerships preloaded into the unit. This piece of crap can't locate a HD dealership at all. If I manually enter an address in the unit it'll generally take me there without any problems. But if I tap on the Harley dealer there's no telling where I'll end up. I've had it tell me the dealer was on the left side of the road when in fact it was on the right. Ok so that's no big problem but last week it missed the Erie, PA dealer by 4-5 miles and a dealer in Canada by about 15-20 miles. You'd think since it's made specifically for Harley it could at least get you to one of their dealers. I've even downloaded the updates for the unit and it still can't locate most Harley dealers. Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The GPS can only get you to the addresses specified in the custom POIs. I'd blame whoever configured those over the Garmin unit.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
I've only run into one dealer that mine missed that was the GPS's fault. Missed it by 1/4 mile. Stopped the bikes and told my wife the GPS couldn't find it........ wife looked at me and said "Turn around"

But I did have 3 others that were wrong, because the dealers moved, and the database still had the old location. Since then I've done a bunch of updates (Had it for 3 years) and all of the "moved" dealers are now correct. The missed by 1/4 mile is still wrong.

Guess nobody at Winona Harley davidson has complained :rolleyes:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1845+MOBILE+DR.+WINONA,+MN&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x87f96c0b7e85684b:0x70796e2a691f4ec4,1845+Mobile+Dr,+Winona,+MN+55987&gl=us&ei=DqzlUbX1DJS6qQGgkYCwCA&ved=0CCwQ8gEwAA

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Now that I think about it, My GPS started acting stupid - telling me to exit the freeway and then get right back on - when I started using BaseCamp. Once I learned to place my waypoints slightly past intersections, those problems ceased. Perhaps whomever creates the HD custom POIs needs to reassess where they place them given. Just a thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My '11 Road Glide CVO's Zumo has the same problem and I've learned to live with it and just laugh. Trying to find Thunder Road H-D in Danville VA it was having me go down a gravel road and telling me the dealership was in what looked like a campground. Close but no cigar. Last month looking for Liberal (KS) H-D and it directed me to a Polaris ATV dealership!?! Found the actual street address, punched it in and found it down the road a bit. This is just two times that come to mind but it happens more than not. Now, give the GPS first shot at finding it using the built-in app and when that fails, punch in the actual street address listed in the HOG Touring Guide. Tell myself "it's the journey and not the destination..."

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have had a few problems to say he least! The first was a NIM Module issue where the volume would adjust on my radio when I was NOT even using the GPS feature. The NEW issue is that for some reason instead of the voice telling me where to turn, there IS NO voice. The music just turns down. Dealer said it would cost me $200 + to fix it. I saif F. That! I will just know I have to turn when the music volume goes down. I paid $700 for a POS, but I am stuck now as they don't have the purchase in their computer system to validate my purchase. It is within my warranty period but I lost my receipt. My expensive mistake. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I opted for a cheap Garmin Nuvi 50LM. It cost $125 and I had to obtain the dealer's POI off the interweb and install it myself. Haven't used it to find a dealer very often, but it has worked every time.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
I have had a few problems to say he least! The first was a NIM Module issue where the volume would adjust on my radio when I was NOT even using the GPS feature. The NEW issue is that for some reason instead of the voice telling me where to turn, there IS NO voice. The music just turns down. Dealer said it would cost me $200 + to fix it. I saif F. That! I will just know I have to turn when the music volume goes down. I paid $700 for a POS, but I am stuck now as they don't have the purchase in their computer system to validate my purchase. It is within my warranty period but I lost my receipt. My expensive mistake. Lesson learned.

Next time the sound goes away when it's giving a direction, hit your left grip volume control. You can only change the NIM volume while the GPS is speaking. :eek:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Guys, the harley dealer ship list is given to Garmin by Harley, so it is Harley that has the issue, I am a regional trainer and know of at least 10 dealers that are no longer there that are still inthe database. Not a priority for Harley. As for some other issues, please do a software (NOT mapping) update, this has fixes for many bugs, and you can do some custom voices and vehicle icons for free. Also the Navigation Interface Module (NIM) that harley first put out didn't really work, still have mine screwed on next to the radio but not hooked up to anything, (someday when I take the fairing off again and have time I'll remove it)still need to plug a 3.5 jack into the zumo harness and then into the aux port on the bike radio to get the instructions to come over the harley boom system, or if you have XM to play, music, MP3, or an audio book , if you are into that.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Also for you guys with issues, call Garmin at 800-800-1020. They are at Olathe, Kansas, (not offshore for those of us that believe in US companies and products) so call early but the tech guys are pretty good about helping with problems. Be sure to do a software update first (again it is free) before you call because it is the first thing they will ask you, " Have you done a software update?"

·
Registered
386 Posts
Next time the sound goes away when it's giving a direction, hit your left grip volume control. You can only change the NIM volume while the GPS is speaking. :eek:
Tried that. Dealer already figured out it is the cradle pin. I called back today and they found my work order. Guess what. Part is still covered under warranty.... Labor... Is not. So still a couple of hours I will have to pay for.... If I fix it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That might have been the problem with the Erie dealer having a new building. I guess my easiest solution is to manually enter the address from the current issue of the HD Touring Book. I just thought that if any address would be correct it would be a Harley address so they could get us in to spend more $$$. Thanks and ride safe.

·
Registered
248 Posts
crap in crap out, dealerships close & move, however you would think that data would be updated every few months or so. :eek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same bike, same Zumo...
Occasionally, "Garmina" will misdirect me. One day in SD, she insisted that I turn left---to a cow pasture.
From the onset, I vowed never to be in a situation where I absolutely totally relied on Garmina's directions. I pre-plan my routes and way-points on the HD road atlas.
Also, I agree with others in saying updates should be downloaded periodically.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I call my HD Zumo 660 Calamity Jane it get me where I need to go but not the way I planned my trip! Shrug thanks for the tip on the waypoints. I hope there are some good “how to” video on YouTube for basecamp it seems hard to use; I’ve been using MapQuest maybe that’s why I am getting so many uck ups.:confused:

·
Registered
137 Posts
The "official" Garmin-Harley POI database is a year out of date. If you want something more up to date, go to the POI factory website. Users have update the dealer database. The latest update is as of 4/7/2013. You can download it free at this link: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/1995. There is even a synthesized voice available that says "Harley Davidson Store Ahead" for download. To turn the GPX file into a POI file, go to Garmin and download their POI loader here: http://www.garmin.com/us/maps/poiloader. I have done this for 3 different Garmin units: an old 260W in the wife's car; a 1490LMT in my car; and a new 2555LMT on the bike. No more switching the 1490 between car and bike and the 255 has 100 routes active vs 10 for the 1490. So you do not have to have a Zumo for this to work.

When creating the file, you have to choose what name you want the finished POI file to be named. You can create it directly to the GPS or create it on your computer and copy it to the GPS later. If you create the POI with the proximity alert on, (you must use manual mode not express), you can select in feet how far away from the dealership you will get the alert. The alerts will show up differently on different models. On the 260W and 1490, the dealership name show up on the map over the dealership location as soon as the map is in range. On the 2555, the direction bar at the top goes from green to light gray with the dealership name and an icon appears on the map where the dealership is located.

You will want to either delete or copy the original POI file to your computer, or you will have 2 Harley POI files on your GPS. The POI files on the GPS is in the POI folder on the GPS.

I do agree with everyone else that Basecamp is a pain in the ass to use compared to Mapsource. With the purchase of the 2555, I've been forced to use Basecamp since Mapsource doesn't recognize the 2555. So my workaround is to still do everything in Mapsource for the 260W and 1490, then import the data into Basecamp for downloading to the 2555.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts