Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have nasty virus on my computer and it's doing very strange things. I'm currently using my business laptop until I figure out what to do. I have Garmin Mapsource on my infected computer. I have a lot of my routes on the computer that I want to transfer to my GPS so I don't loose them when I format. Do I need to worry about infecting my Garmin 665 if I connect it to my computer?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The virus most likely will not affect the operating system of the Garmin.

I would only send your route data to your Garmin. I would NOT copy mp3 and jpg files to your Garmin during this transfer(just in case this was a backup option for you).

You could unintentionally copy the infected files to your Garmin, format your computer, and copy the infected files back to your freshly loaded pc. Your pc would end up infected again if this were the case.

I am an IT guy and when I get in this situation, I usually connect the infected hard drive to a well protected machine and back it up by doing a file copy of my good data. Once my data is backed up I either scour the machine for the infection, or re-load from scratch. I prefer the re-load option.

I don't believe your Garmin will be infected, but it does not mean it cannot be a carrier for the virus.

·
Registered
8,835 Posts
Subscribing. I would think that viruses are operating systems specific.

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
The virus will not effect your garmin. The most you would have to worry about is the virus destroying your files on your local machine.

Are you sure its a virus?

try these 2 apps... we use them at work (I work in IT) to clean computers.

Malwarebytes
https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Microsoft Security Essentials
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-all-versions

Both are free and both are at the top of the food chain for how effective they are.

If they do not clean your system I would opt for a nuke and re-install of the operating system.

D.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts