Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK not fuel management but, I hate my gas cap. I have never had so much trouble putting on a gas cap, and in the morning when it is cold, forget about it. It is a constant fight!! Is it me? I thought it might be me, OK "I am a knuckle head" but NO! I am in the gas station the other day and I look over and there is a road glide same year fighting his gas cap! he stated it is like this all the time even worse when it is cold out side. Any one have this issue? most important question, "if so" what is the solution!!!
Thank you for any help "before I toss this cap down the road".

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I have a '16 RG and just got back from a 2 day ride where about 6 fill ups took place and have had zero issues - Not sure where the problem would even be? - Other than an angle the cap may need to be at to begin threading, can't see how it would be an issue?

Hope you get it squared away amigo

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
Yes, it's so simple, but that doesn't work when it's COLD............in southern California!!>:)>:):confused::confused:

Maybe they have a different tolerance for cold in ElCajon Califorina. That would be a stones throw from Mexico. To me cold is when my skin sticks to metal. You know.... Iowa, and Illinois cold.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Put the cap in the hole, and turn clockwise until it clicks. It's the same gas cap as the older models. part # 61274-92
Thanks I got the answer for a different Forum were they are a lot more helpful and a lot less sarcastic:wink:.

It is a Warranty issue and it is semi-common. on the 15-16 RG and SG

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the issue man? - Curious myself now.....
Appears some of the caps had a lot "group" that was out of tolerance. They do not actually know was just an answer given to someone but, Dealer just supplies a new cap.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It is well known on other forums. I am surprised it has not been discussed here? Many are getting new caps from the dealers. Many dealers are already out of them. Many of the new caps start doing it again eventually. What I and many others have done is take some sandpaper (or file) and sand down the outside of the cap below the first thread (very bottom outside edge). Once that is done it works better than it ever has.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have fought with the gas cap on my 15 for the last year, glad to know they will replace it, every time we run into the mountains where temps are below about 50 the cap is very difficult to thread down. Have commented a couple times in dealerships but never an offer to replace it.

Thanks for the post.

just for giggles my purchase date is March 2015...

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Take the gas cap off and take it to a file or grinding wheel just below the threaded part. Remove enough material until it drops in to the threaded part easy. Had to fix my 15 and 16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Take the gas cap off and take it to a file or grinding wheel just below the threaded part. Remove enough material until it drops in to the threaded part easy. Had to fix my 15 and 16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you Smarty! Just the advice I was seeking

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I basically said the same thing 2 posts up, you even "liked" it Hmmm.

Just busting your balls!
Yeah but it was much earlier in the day. So my brain did not absorb the great information that you provided.

Back space.. That was just the response I was looking for, thank you thealien. :smile:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've not had a problem in the first 9 fill ups....but now that I know there is an issue I am certain to have the issue

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have felt what you mean.

I suspect it's an issue with the plastic cap and threads being sensitive to the thread pattern on the bike. I'd try some WD-40 on the cap and put in on/take it off several times and just make sure the threads are good.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts