Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so it's my lawnmower, but I need some advice.....My daughter was trying to help dad out with the mowing right before the season ended....and she put gasoline in the oil fill hole. Don't ask.

Besides running new oil through it several times and hand turning the motor, do I need to do anything else before I fire it up???

Thanks for any help you can throw my way.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Dawg,
Your post title is a freakout waiting to happen! lol...
Sorry to hear about your "mishap" but at least it isn't the glide. I have 2 daughters myself (2 and 4) so I am all too familiar with these types of issues. As for resolution, I will leave it to others with more mechanical savvy, but I have always found those type motors to be built like little tanks. I would bet you will be fine with the steps you have already taken.
If the motor blow, just bore the cyls, increase the stroke, and open up the exhaust. You can rebuild it as a SE mower! :D

·
Registered
505 Posts
You should be good, you might want to run it at first until it warms up and change it once more while the oil is hot. Oil is cheap compared to a new mower until they get a barrel of oil back up to where they want it....

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Your doing it right, just check the latest oil you removed to see if there is any gas residue still coming out. Make sure you remove spark plug to make it easier to turn engine over w/o starting.

Don't know what type of mower you are talking about, but does it have an oil filter that would need to be changed. These are normally only on much larger engines(riders) or commercial walk-behind units, but thought I'd throw that out there just in case.

When you first start it up, listen closely for any strange noises or rough running.
-If it sounds OK, I'd suggest running for 3 to 5 minutes to let entire engine block get warm without actually using it for work(under load), then change the oil one last time to make sure all internal oil passages are cleaned out.
-If strange noises, you can redo your prior steps again and hope.

And lastly, did you check the gas tank to make sure she didn't put oil in there?!? :rolleyes: Sorry, but if so: drain & clean tank(oil will sit on bottom), check gas line filter and install new spark plug.

These (and most) engines allow some blowby past piston rings...that's why the oil gets darker. But these crude little engines normally can take quite some abuse by the average owner.
JMHO

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's why I love this forum....good (and humorous) advice!

Thanks for the replies....it's a new Briggs and Stratton...built like a battle axe....push mower, not even power drive....I go old school as much as possible...I don't think it has an oil filter...

I will run it, get it warm, and flush it again with new oil.....Seriously, thank you all for the assistance.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
On the plus side your daughter learned a little something about mowers and engines. A lesson Im sure she will never forget in life :) And,.. she probably still feels kinda bad so you can use that all this summer and sit back with a cold one and a cigar while she is mowing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts