Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 RG with a stage 2 big sucker, rineharts true duals, and the 95 cam performance kit. I get 180 miles per tank og high test with 10% eathanol. Is this fairly typical? I checked the Power Commander III map and the numbers are much higher than the references on thee PC site. I can post my map if that helps.mapping

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sounds a little low and if you mean that you are only gettin 180 ,is that when the light comes on if so your gage for reserve may be off
I also think thats why harley went to the larger tanks
I always complain about my fuel after i been riding at speeds in excess of the posted .LOL:cool:
I travel for a living and I like the ethenol blends on regular and I guess I never realized that it was available on the premiun gas which is what I run and harley recomends
The big scam in my book is "Oxynegated" fuel what a bunch of crap that is LOL

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'd like to hear some feed back on gas mileage with specific combos also.

My 2010 got 200 miles per tank stock. I added V&H dresser duals, big sucker intake and a PowerCommander V, and it dropped to 140. So then I bought the AutoTune and bumped the cruise air/fuel up to 14.5 and it got me back up to 160 per tank, but I'm still not impressed.

The 2010 is supposed to have a 6 gallon tank, but when my bike gets the light on and says no miles to empty, it only takes 4.5 gallons every time.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
472 Posts
It pisses me off cause thats what mine does too
Its like they left the Positioning/ sensor in the same place for the 5 gallon tank as the 6 (I think the fuel acts as a cooler oer the fuel pump) believe it or not
Unless your riding tank to tank its not a problem:cool:

·
Registered
546 Posts
It pisses me off cause thats what mine does too
Its like they left the Positioning/ sensor in the same place for the 5 gallon tank as the 6 (I think the fuel acts as a cooler oer the fuel pump) believe it or not
Unless your riding tank to tank its not a problem:cool:
Well, it is healthy for the pump to be cooled by fuel. But still, a gallon and a half of useless capacity seems overkill.

I'd be curious to hear if other 2010 owners (do 09s have the 6 gallon too?) are hitting the light and getting a 4.5 gallon refill.

I'd also be curious to hear what 5 gallon tank owners are getting on a refill when they get their light.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In response to your question, the 180 miles was from overflow (almost) to bone dead empty call CAA for gas empty. The gauge is out 1/16 of a tank. I figure I need to tune the ECM Power Commander III but would want a match on my configuration . I don;t have access to a dyno but I have flashed my Power Commander to update the firmware and have backed up my current map to the laptop. No 2010's arround here. Everyone is into Street Glides so no feedback on the 2010 issues.

Thanks

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've gotten (actually alway been) compulsive about keeping records on all my fleet. I've gotten 42.11 mpg on the first 15,000 miles on my 09 RG. I try and use 91 octane real gas whenever I can, from the same station, and from the same pump, to normalize my readings.

I have an excel file that I log information for every fill up, starting and ending odometer reading, miles driven, how many miles are remaining, (according to the bikes computer) price per gallon, how many gallons I can get in, etc.

It's too big to upload here but if anyone wants it, I'll be happy to send it in an e-mail if you PM me.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. It appears I am running about 20 to 30 miles under what I should per tank. Anyone got a RG with my config and has a mapping for the Power Commander III USB? Dual Rineharts, Stage 2 Big Sucker and the '95 Kit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Running hard, I get 42 MPG. The light comes on an the gauge shows empty with at least 6 quarts left in the tank. I just ignore the gauge, always reset the trip meter, and know that I need to refill at about 240 miles.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
With my 2009 Road Glide, I use Gas Buddy to keep a record of fuel used and mileage. After 15,000 miles, I have average 39.3 MPG. I get better mileage if I keep the speed around 70 MPH on Freeway trips. Around town I get about 36 to 38 MPG. I have gotten as good as 52 MPG when I was on a trip and kept the speed at 65 MPH.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I don't think I go 65 on a trip! :)

With my 2009 Road Glide, I use Gas Buddy to keep a record of fuel used and mileage. After 15,000 miles, I have average 39.3 MPG. I get better mileage if I keep the speed around 70 MPH on Freeway trips. Around town I get about 36 to 38 MPG. I have gotten as good as 52 MPG when I was on a trip and kept the speed at 65 MPH.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I don't think I go 65 on a trip! :)
I also don't drive that slow if I can drive faster. I drove that speed just this last Tuesday. I was taking a friend to the Laughlin River Run. It was the first time he had rode with me. It was just the first 25 miles so I wanted to get used to him. He was a new rider with his first Harley. We were going up through the Cajon Pass and he had his girlfriend following in a SUV. I picked up the pace after a little time but still not over 75 MPH. When I travel alone, I usually go 80.

·
Registered
107 Posts
On my bone stock 2010 I was averaging 39 miles per gallon. My warning light also came on with about 1.5 gallons in the tank. I find that annoying...

I'm interested in seeing if it gets worse with the 103" upgrade, SE Big Breather and V&H Dresser Duals.

·
Registered
546 Posts
On my bone stock 2010 I was averaging 39 miles per gallon. My warning light also came on with about 1.5 gallons in the tank. I find that annoying...

I'm interested in seeing if it gets worse with the 103" upgrade, SE Big Breather and V&H Dresser Duals.
Hmm, I guess I don't feel so bad now, especially since I average 80mph to and from work.

I am going to bring a 1 gallon gas can with me on my next rides and just go till I run out and see what my actual miles are. Then I'll probably pull the sender and adjust it.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
According to the manual, the light is supposed to come on w/ 1gal remaining as a "reserve".

·
Life Member
1,041 Posts
Just did about 200 mile one way ride today and I filled up and hit the Natchez Trace less than a mile from fueling, rode the trace for 120 miles cruise set at 60, got off trace and hit interstate for 25 miles at 70, then mister smart azz on his crotch rocket decides he wants to play the next 10 miles was at 90-115.
Stopped for lunch and decided to top off @160 miles. took 3 gals= 53.33 for the tank, still had 1/4 showing on the gauge.

99 model 95 in with rhinehaht true duals, woods cams, stock MM injection, 45k miles

·
Super Moderator
10,222 Posts
several times my light has come on and I have stopped within a mile or two , and consistently get right at 5 in there , but I always squeeze ever last drop I can in there ..

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I ride an '04 RG. 103" bore, se port/polish heads, se race tuner map, gear vs. chain mod, s&s lifters/adjustable pushrods dialed in by my indie/510g cams, bassani power curve exhaust, white bros e-series slip ons and se big breather. One bad mamba jamba. about 35 mpg riding city, occasionally an incident of WFO when no one's lookin':D Yeller light comes on around 140 mi on chapter rides (60-70 mph:p), riding 2-up w/wifey & tour pack. 1/4 tank by gage, fill up gets 4.5 gallons.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
checked my gas mileage last weekend. 09 stock 9k miles surprisingly got 50 mpg
my previous bike 06 rk mid 40's

JR

1 - 20 of 78 Posts