Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had installed Gatorman lifters in my Road Glide 15k miles ago. I just had one fail with a second one on the way out. Not sure yet if I need a total rebuild because of the failure, but it is likely.

I'm not the only one with issues recently.

Between the problems I, and another member from another board, have had, along with the documented issues with HD "C" lifters out there, it would be wise to check your cam chest and update and upgrade things in there as a preventative measure.

I'm going with S&S Premiums from here on out.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have heard of the failures of these lifters as well. From what I am reading, people are attribute the failures due to place of assembly. I have 15k on my Gatormans and gave no issues with them. Maybe they were set up wrong during install?

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
In most cases the lifters fail in the internals and they bleed off failing to stay pump up. The roller and roller bearings don't fail in most case so unless the lifter itself had the roller and roller bearing come apart then there is no need to rebuild the engine.
You may have cam damage so a inspection of the cam should be done but you would have to run a failed lifter for sometime for the cam to have damage.
I am still using my Stock lifters in my bike but I have the "B" lifters, I did put in the SE lifters in my bike for about 10,000 miles but I had one start to fail and I put my "B" lifters back in the bike.
SE lifters are made by Jims so and I don't recommend them, some people have been using Woods lifters with good results.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No way we're they set up wrong during instal. That really is only a depth setting anyway and wouldn't contribute to the roller bearings failing.

The problem on mine was the needle bearings in one of the rollers failed and the second lifter was frosting on the main roller. Took out the cam as well.

I just started the post to give a heads up to those in the market for lifters.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
S&S premium is the way to go, hillside cycles recom them as well, im sure they have installed dozens over the years, and my indy swears by them, so do I, good luck on your repair, good time to upgrade cams, turn a negative into a positive, IMO.:D

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
When i ordered my cams last week, i was told that the S&S lifters were on back order with no clear shipping date,so i ordered Fueling lifters since i bought Fueling cams,has any one used the Fueling lifters and what is your opinion of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts