Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I'm still new to motorcycles but I'm sure this is not supposed to happen. As I was riding yesterday my gear shift linkage came off:eek:. The crazy part is that all the parts were still there it just some how backed off from the gear box:confused:. This is on a brand new 2011 road glide custom and it just had the 1000 mile service done last week:(. When they came to pick up my bike, the guy said as long as he has worked on bikes he never once even heard of this happening.

Sixnine68

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Most dealers have low-skilled assembly people many of whom screw up quite often. My saddle bag bolts were never tightened and they damn near fell off on my summer ride to Vegas last year.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Could you have just threaded it back onto the gear box lever? I have heard about the linkage joints breaking, but to have one just fall off seems really odd. Even if it were backing out, it seems like you would have noticed a change in the shifting prior to it actually coming completely off.
See if you can get the dealer to give you a good discount on the HD custom linkage. It is MUCH better than stock, and I think you can make an argument that their pre-delivery inspection and their 1K service were a bit slip-shod...
Good luck.
Ian

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
My linkage rod fell apart once....but I had over 40K on the bike when it happened. Seems odd for it to just fall off.....hmmmmm.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
It happens. The problem is that the stock linkage doesn't have a heim joint. You can add heim joints or by a new linkage and it will never happen again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Called dealership, they all were scratching their heads :confused: but it's back together and I will be picking up my bike today after work :D other than that they have no clue on why and how it happened.

sixnine68

·
Registered
250 Posts
Throw a few plastic zip ties in the bottom of your bag along with some duck tape. Those 2 items will save you when on the road.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Apparently those things come apart more often that most people would think. One reason I invested in a replacement with Heim Joints. That and a bit of loctite, should not come off on my bike. Some folks were saying that is the first thing they replace on a bike. The stock part is not well designed, at least from our point of view.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
don't worry the dearship will never admit fault....just a bunch of head scratching and then the standard line, "that's what makes it Harley"...lol;)
glad your back on the road
enjoy the ride

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I replaced the stock linkage with heim joints. Shifts are more precise and neutral is much easier to find.
There are quite a few ways you can do this. If you just want more precise shifts and solid connections, replace the ends of your stock rod with Heim joints. Cost about $20 to $30. Or, there are several thousand replacements you can find out there, including custom made shift rods. Cost? How much you got? I got mine...

... at the dealer. After the HOG discount and VIP card, it was only about $80.00. They list for about $120.00. If you find one you like, get the part number and order it from Zanotti's. Or find one you like from any number of other sources.

I would recommend replacing the stock joints at a minimum, they suck, they break (not if, but when) and they make for sloppy shifting.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ever since I was on the side of I-80 on the IA/IL border in 35 degree temps using a wire tie to pt the linkage back together to get home, that is one of the first things I replace on a new bike. Get rid of that stock POS and get one with heim joints.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Stock shifter linkage falling apart is a very common problem! No problems with the HEMI linkage. Be sure to use blue loctite when installing the shifter linkage.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Called dealership, they all were scratching their heads :confused: but it's back together and I will be picking up my bike today after work :D other than that they have no clue on why and how it happened.

sixnine68
It pisses me off when I hear stuff like that. It they were scratching their heads they should find a different line of work. Obviously motorcycles aren't their thing. Maybe they can get a job working for Schwinn and work their way up to Mopeds. Find a different dealer because these [email protected]@sses will always find a way to screw you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Getting my RGU new from the dealer today. I'll look at this. Thanks for reminding me.
In 08, I was going to Sturgis on an 05 Ultra, and stopped at the top of Wolf Creek Pass. Everything had been normal for 40K. When I got back on the bike,
it wouldn't shift. The shifter had come apart at the front. No indication before that. Had the zip ties, so made it to Denver for a fix.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts