Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey still new to the Harley game here. But are the cams on my '10 96" geared? If so, when did they do away from the chain gentoo we setup? Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah that is what I was wondering. So I have heard that the tensioner let go between 15 and 30k. Is that about right?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The most recent change to the HD chain drive cams was an upgrade to the chain tensioner in the 2007 models. I haven't heard of any major issue since then, but then I really haven't been looking for reports either.

·
Super Moderator
12,353 Posts
Since they went hydraulic in 07, the cam tensioner wear has been nil, my last bike (07 EG) showed almost no wear at 30k. On my present bike I went with geared cams because I had crank work done.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

P

·
0 Posts
be carefull with gear drives in 96"ers as the lower ends have a tendecy to shift more(with the hyd. tesioners,their not a "must" like the 99-06)

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
With the new hydraulic cam chain tensioners there is no need to worry about the tensioner wear unless the bike is a 2006 or earlier model that has the 88" engine. Stick with the chain drive cams because they are more forgiving when it comes to crank run out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The factory produced geared cam was 2000 for the softails, and 1999 for the Dynas and some touring models (this is when HD shifted from the Evo to the Twinkie).

Now if you must have gear driven cams I'd suggest crank work and a Timken bearing kit installed because with .005" runout service limit can be scary if you hot-rod your motor.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The factory produced geared cam was 2000 for the softails, and 1999 for the Dynas and some touring models (this is when HD shifted from the Evo to the Twinkie).
Easier to say Last Factory equipped gear driven big twins were Evo's... long live the Evo! I'll have you know the HD Factory guys who were showing off the twinkie motor at Sturgis in '99 did NOT appreciate me using that nickname... ;-) They were still pushing Donnie Petersons "Fathead" nickname...

Now if you must have gear driven cams I'd suggest crank work and a Timken bearing kit installed because with .005" runout service limit can be scary if you hot-rod your motor.
.005" service limit? Maybe back in the early twinkie days. Current Acceptable Maximum is .000-.012" and Service limit is .014" Crazy! My '12 has .007" when I checked it few weeks ago. S&S states max .003" runout limit as I recall, else stay with chains.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Geared cams are great...........as long as the pinion shaft TIR is within .003" as per S&S.
We back/back tested a set of chain/geared Wood 9B's in a 95" Dyna back in 2001 or 2002.
Results were that the geared version showed 2.5-3.5 more hp and torque than it's chain-driven counterpart.
Not the friction against the chain shoes as some would suspect, creating the power difference, but rather the superior cam timing accuracy that the gear tooth/gear tooth offers. :)
Scott

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Geared cams are great...........as long as the pinion shaft TIR is within .003" as per S&S.
We back/back tested a set of chain/geared Wood 9B's in a 95" Dyna back in 2001 or 2002.
Results were that the geared version showed 2.5-3.5 more hp and torque than it's chain-driven counterpart.
Not the friction against the chain shoes as some would suspect, creating the power difference, but rather the superior cam timing accuracy that the gear tooth/gear tooth offers. :)
Scott
Well explained Scott, I assumed it was the friction drag of the tensioner also.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Tensioners with just over 31k

With the new hydraulic cam chain tensioners there is no need to worry about the tensioner wear unless the bike is a 2006 or earlier model that has the 88" engine. Stick with the chain drive cams because they are more forgiving when it comes to crank run out.
I did go ahead and change these out because I was in there doing other things. However, as you can see they have almost no wear. About 31,400 on these; this are off a 2010 FLTRX.

I replaced these with the Zippers Dual Piston type.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I did go ahead and change these out because I was in there doing other things. However, as you can see they have almost no wear. About 31,400 on these; this are off a 2010 FLTRX.

I replaced these with the Zippers Dual Piston type.
Yes, those Zippers tensioners seem to work well.
Those are shelved items here.:)
Scott

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the pic Nevada. That helps a lot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts