Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm heading out on a 7,000 mile cross country trip in 1 week with my 14yr old son ridding on the back. I have a 2011 RGU with 17,000 miles on it and I have performed the following maintenance (most of it myself except for tire replacement) in preparation of my trip and I'm wondering if I've missed anything.

I have replaced the oil in all three holes (Redline 20w60, Redline Shockproof, and Redline Primary), new K&N Oil Filter, new NGK Spark Plugs, new K&N Air Filter, new battery, new rear tire, new front tire, bled the brake lines and replaced them with new fluid, replaced the brakes both front and back, had the steering head adjusted, and lubricated the steering bearings. If there is anything else you think I may have missed by all means let me know. Thanks for your input.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I'm heading out on a 7,000 mile cross country trip in 1 week with my 14yr old son ridding on the back. I have a 2011 RGU with 17,000 miles on it and I have performed the following maintenance (most of it myself except for tire replacement) in preparation of my trip and I'm wondering if I've missed anything.

I have replaced the oil in all three holes (Redline 20w50, Redline Shockproof, and Redline Primary), new K&N Oil Filter, new NGK Spark Plugs, new K&N Air Filter, new battery, new rear tire, new front tire, bled the brake lines and replaced them with new fluid, replaced the brakes both front and back, had the steering head adjusted, and lubricated the steering bearings. If there is anything else you think I may have missed by all means let me know. Thanks for your input.

The only thing I can think of with the age of the bike, when is the last time the battery was changed out? They have a way of going out at the most inopportune times. Have a load test done it if it's more than 2 years old.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cell phone, credit cards, AAA RV+, tools, Harley Dealer app for your phone. This will be an amazing experience for father & son.

Tools are packed and I just added the HD Dealer App. Very good ideas. Thank you very much. This is my 4th cross country trip but the first time my son has ridden this far. I took him on a small 1700 mile trip last year and he did great. We did 1 600 mile day and he had no issues so I think he should be able to handle this.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I can't remember if you said you had this or not. I keep one of those plug repair kits with the CO2 AIR cylinders for fixing a flat on the road. Nice to have when you are in the middle of nowhere. Also, I always carry a couple of spark plugs in my tool kit.

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
It looks like you're pretty well prepared. You might want to add a shifter spline shaft and shifter arm. Here's a link to an ongoing thread on the topic.

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=1808

Enjoy the time with your son and have a safe trip.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It looks like you're pretty well prepared. You might want to add a shifter spline shaft and shifter arm. Here's a link to an ongoing thread on the topic.

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=1808

Enjoy the time with your son and have a safe trip.
Thanks for the info! I'm going to inspect and tighten those down (Loctite) as well. I've had shifters bend or fall off on dirt bikes. Funny how I didn't even consider that with my HD.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Looks like you've done almost everything to prepare. Make sure to bring a full set of tools and zip ties. I usually carry an extra spark plug and shift linkage rod on long road trips. I've had the opportunity to replace both on the side of the road. It sounds like a fun road trip.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
2,339 Posts
change battery in key fob

Change the batteries in BOTH key fobs. And wrap the spare in aluminum foil and pack it with your clothes. The aluminum foil will prevent the fob from disarming your security system, and allow you to actually have a spare ..... just in case.

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
Change the batteries in BOTH key fobs. And wrap the spare in aluminum foil and pack it with your clothes. The aluminum foil will prevent the fob from disarming your security system, and allow you to actually have a spare ..... just in case.
Interesting. I'm gonna try this foil trick at home. However in the future I will probably just remove the battery in the spare FOB.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Interesting. I'm gonna try this foil trick at home. However in the future I will probably just remove the battery in the spare FOB.
If you remove the battery do you have to pair the FOB with your bike again? I know how to start my bike without the key by using the turn signals and the "secret code". I've never had to use it but I practice it every 6 months just so I don't forget how.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.