Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone living in Germany use one of the local insurance comp?

I have USAA and they are sucking my bank account dry.

·
Registered
391 Posts
What's up! I live in Germany... Can't help w/ the insurance as I use USAA as well. I can, however, sympathize with you. The rates are absoluetly ridiculous. I will ask around w/ a few guys I ride with and see.

Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking? I'm in Heidelberg, but moving to Wiesbaden in a few weeks.

Mike

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I lived in Germany for 11 years up until 2006. I always used USAA but know that Geico also covers Germany. While USAA is more exspensive they are reliable and fast when something happens. The local insurance companies in Germany are not as reliable with claims and slow as hell in processing. Had several buddies with insurance issues with local companies in Germany and all end up going to USAA. All I am saying is cheaper is not always better or even as good.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Agree with Bandit, lived 3 years Germany and 3 years Italy, granted it was back in the 80's, but experience was the same, US based insurance companies paid the claims, local based insurance companies either didn't pay or were slow in processing. Back then rates were not that much cheaper for local over US based, problem was then US based were choosy about what they insured, had my 78 vette in Italy, insurance company dropped full coverage after 2 years, said car was to old to cover full..Local costs for full were more than what I had been paying, rolled the dice and went with liability only..Came up snake eyes, 6 months later 2 large trees attacked the vette, she remains in Italy to this day. Anyone thathas driven in or around the Naples area knows its always interesting everytime you turn the key, in this case I had oncoming traffic in my lane (4 lane road) jerked to fast into right lane, started a slide, overcorrected caught a tree, bounced off that tree in 180 and hit 2nd tree. RIP in junkyard.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Also agree w/Bandit. I lived in Germany for 3.5 years but I didn't have a bike there, however I have USAA for everything BUT my RG and they are great. Problem is, I believe they use Progressive to insure bikes, at least here in the states, and I boycotted Progressive awhile back due to their political policies AND outrageous bike insurance premiums.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Also agree w/Bandit. I lived in Germany for 3.5 years but I didn't have a bike there, however I have USAA for everything BUT my RG and they are great. Problem is, I believe they use Progressive to insure bikes, at least here in the states, and I boycotted Progressive awhile back due to their political policies AND outrageous bike insurance premiums.
Ranger,

You are correct, USAA does use progressive as the under writer.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's up! I live in Germany... Can't help w/ the insurance as I use USAA as well. I can, however, sympathize with you. The rates are absoluetly ridiculous. I will ask around w/ a few guys I ride with and see.

Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking? I'm in Heidelberg, but moving to Wiesbaden in a few weeks.

Mike
I work out at McCully (Mainz Finthen). So you will be down my soon.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I am payig 267 a month for coverage right now. When I asked why it was so high compared to the US, he said because it is US Spec. So usually if there is a accident they will just total the bike because of the high cost of parts and labor. He said the parts would have to come from the US, I dont believe this but that was their rational.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
So I am payig 267 a month for coverage right now. When I asked why it was so high compared to the US, he said because it is US Spec. So usually if there is a accident they will just total the bike because of the high cost of parts and labor. He said the parts would have to come from the US, I dont believe this but that was their rational.
Damn that is high!! I wasn't paying that I know for sure. Check with Geico, but IMO would really stay away from the local stuff saw to many issues when a claim had to be filed. Not sure if Allstate insures bikes over there or not but possible.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I live in France and insure with Allianz, who operate throughout europe. I am paying 30 Euros per month for fully comprehensive cover. This is comparable to the price I was paying in the UK as well.

Last year when we had a rear wheel blowout and subsequent crash they paid for the repair no problem at all - a repair at almost 10,000 Euros plus a payment for the broken ribs I also suffered!

The bike is a US spec bike, not officially imported into Europe, so they may well be worth a look at.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
when i was in germany, i didn't have a bike. but i did have my car insured through the local AIG office. the rate was a lot better than i could have gotten through usaa (esp. since at that time, if you were not an officer, you went through their underwriter and the out of the country rate was ridiculous). plus, if you didn't have any claims, you got a 'rebate' at the end of the year. luckily, i had no claims, so i can't speak on their claims process, but i never heard anyone complain about them while i was there (89 to 93)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
when i was in germany, i didn't have a bike. but i did have my car insured through the local AIG office. the rate was a lot better than i could have gotten through usaa (esp. since at that time, if you were not an officer, you went through their underwriter and the out of the country rate was ridiculous). plus, if you didn't have any claims, you got a 'rebate' at the end of the year. luckily, i had no claims, so i can't speak on their claims process, but i never heard anyone complain about them while i was there (89 to 93)
We were there at the same time skratch, 88-91 for me (Camp Eschborn, outside Frankfurt). Forgot about AIG - think that's who I used as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts