Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been discussed to death, but I was hoping that you who have gone before could guide me.
I have approximately $500 to get my stock RG system to sound better. Given the limited funds, what would be your opinion? I was looking at a system from J&M with a 180 watt plug and play amp with the 7.25" speakers. I could get this for about $490!
Anyone know how well this set-up works?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Welcome from S. Cal.

Whatever you do...Do not move to the HD Boom speakers and/or amp. I believe you will shortchange yourself.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I can give you one suggestion because i have changed my mind 3 times on my build. Do what Q says, do it once. Read and research the forums. Ask questions. Your gonna get 100 opinions on what sounds good. If you have to doubt the set up, save your money for better components.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Spend $40 on a used iPod, spend $60 on some kick ass ear buds! Put the other $400 up or do some other mod with that money. Check out as many systems as you can. Most guys are happy to bump the beat for you and trust me we are all here to help you NOT have to do this 3 times. Oh yeah in the mean time enjoy the iPod and ear buds! ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got the iPod and ear buds. I was just wishing that I could get a good start that would make me happy at least for this season. Maybe I'll use the $ to get the speaker lids for my bags and have them painted to match and just ride one more year this way.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I've got the iPod and ear buds. I was just wishing that I could get a good start that would make me happy at least for this season. Maybe I'll use the $ to get the speaker lids for my bags and have them painted to match and just ride one more year this way.

Bag speakers are mostly parking lot stereo, unless you have a serious amp pushing them you won't hear them over 50 MPH. IMO spend your money on your faring sounds

The JM package your talking about is a pretty good bang for the buck.

A Arc or Hawg Wired amp and some Polk or Infinity speakers off ebay will also get you some good bang for the buck. Dbell, is very sharp on this type of stuff.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I guess I could try to sell their HK unit. If I do that, I understand from reading most of the forums that the Alpine deck is probably the best?
Is it easy to get an aftermarket deck to work with the handlebar controls?
Do I have to buy an adapter? I have not seen the answer to this in any of the forums I have read.
I know this is probably bothering some people, I just don't want to waste any of my limited funds and I don't really know which direction would be best.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Yes, I guess I could try to sell their HK unit. If I do that, I understand from reading most of the forums that the Alpine deck is probably the best?
Do I have to buy an adapter? I have not seen the answer to this in any of the forums I have read.
I know this is probably bothering some people, I just don't want to waste any of my limited funds and I don't really know which direction would be best.

There are the 3 or 4 different companies that offer a product so you don't loose the handlebar controls. PAC, Biketronics, Hawg Wired. The Pac is cheaper than the other 2.

·
Registered
967 Posts
The J&M XT system sounds good and perform well. I have the four Chanel on my RGC converted to RGU. If have to do it again will go other route, head unit etc. Can buy on eBay Soundstream amp and a set of MM651 Polk for less than $300.
Like other say do it once and will save money. Go to local bike nights and listen just like you mufflers. But many custom stereos are setup for show once bike running bass fade and speakers bag will not sound the same also needs big amps.
Personally bags are for caring my gear and needs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Spend $40 on a used iPod, spend $60 on some kick ass ear buds!

But the earbuds don't allow for everyone within 300yds to listen to your choice of music, as crappy as it sounds from that distance. I live about 600ft off a fairly major highway, trust me, all of them are irritating from that distance.

I like a decent stereo as much as anyone, but just like loud pipes I don't agree with forcing it upon others. Nice sounding is one thing, obnoxious is s
something else entirely.

Stepping off my soapbox now........

·
Registered
714 Posts
But the earbuds don't allow for everyone within 300yds to listen to your choice of music, as crappy as it sounds from that distance. I live about 600ft off a fairly major highway, trust me, all of them are irritating from that distance.

I like a decent stereo as much as anyone, but just like loud pipes I don't agree with forcing it upon others. Nice sounding is one thing, obnoxious is s
something else entirely.

Stepping off my soapbox now........
Ok, Ok, Old Man. We'll get off your lawn. :p

(psst. I agree with you actually)

·
Registered
35 Posts
heres what i did. The amp is a two channel 500 watt class D amp and i replaced two of the gauges with the tweeters (fit was perfect). Amp is a bit big but it fit in the fairing and is quite a bit cheaper than a lot of D alternatives. I just went to best buy and got a relatively cheap sony head unit since i heard they work well with the stock controls and the hawg wired adapter. The nice part is at best buy you can buy the protection plan and it covers accidental damage...so if it gets to wet and shorts i can just replace it. Radio only cost $120 i think...all said came out around 500. Here is a video clip...not the best but might help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKy_TmILRww

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
This has probably been discussed to death, but I was hoping that you who have gone before could guide me.
I have approximately $500 to get my stock RG system to sound better. Given the limited funds, what would be your opinion? I was looking at a system from J&M with a 180 watt plug and play amp with the 7.25" speakers. I could get this for about $490!
Anyone know how well this set-up works?

I have the rokker 500 watt amp and the 7.25 rokker speakers and an extra set of rokker tweeters in gauge pods. I can say that the system is awesome...customer service is even better.

However, if you only have $500 to spend, this is what I would do for a system that rocks...

1. Soundstream PN4.520D ($100 on Amazon.com)
2. Infinity Reference 62.11i 6.5 for the fairing ($140 Amazon)
3. TWO pair of Pioneer TS-D6902R 6x9 for your bags ($70 a pair on Amazon)

That leaves about $100 remaining for speaker rings and amp installation stuff and a case of beer. You may need to add another $150 or so to your budget to get the speakers installed in the bags facing the wheel, but with this $500 setup, you will be MORE THAN HAPPY!! :D

NOw, if you want to step up about $250 bucks, you can then add the following...

1. Aftermarket radio ($100-200 various places...do search online)
2. Scosche HD7000B and Pac SWI (both required for installation of radio...$95 on Amazon).

Now, not only will you have a killer speaker/amp combo, but you will also have cleaner sounds because of the aftermarket radio....

Just a thought...and ask me how I know.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
heres what i did. The amp is a two channel 500 watt class D amp and i replaced two of the gauges with the tweeters (fit was perfect). Amp is a bit big but it fit in the fairing and is quite a bit cheaper than a lot of D alternatives. I just went to best buy and got a relatively cheap sony head unit since i heard they work well with the stock controls and the hawg wired adapter. The nice part is at best buy you can buy the protection plan and it covers accidental damage...so if it gets to wet and shorts i can just replace it. Radio only cost $120 i think...all said came out around 500. Here is a video clip...not the best but might help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKy_TmILRww

ZSLOW6,
I like it man! Sounds good!

·
Registered
692 Posts

Yes and yes.
The newer Bluetooth Alpine is really nice (from what I've read here anyway)
In order to use your handlebar controls you will need an adapter from Biketronics or Hawgwired. They are about $150.
Some folks swear by Biketronics just as others will tell you Hawgwird is the best.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts