Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled this quote out of a news article. The subjects is motorcycle tuners. EPA says. "Anyone else who manufactures, sells, or installs these types of illegal products should take heed of Harley-Davidson’s corrective actions and immediately stop violating the law,” Cruden warned."
Once again, unelected officials are trying to control every aspect of our lives. They will never stop. Better get your tuners while you still can.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
It's straight bs ! There are much bigger thing to worry about than our motorcycles........I can think of a few but this isn't the time or place.
This is an Election Year ladies.......what better way to prove your worth as a Gov't Agency to your new Boss than to show all the $$$ you have been generating (regardless of how) and all the "good" you have added towards the "Green Initiative" - That and when times are tough and the dollar is tight, you don't care about the size of the fish.......as long as it can fry

Hate to be a wet blanket but we have gotten away with shit in our little corner of the world for decades..........parties always have to end and while we all had fun and will look back with our "remember when" stories.........the new is right around the corner - Look at what they are doing with the M8.......some of those S2 numbers are nothing to be upset with

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
I guess the world is leaning towards a greener planet and this is one of the inevitable outcomes. You can see these laws & regulations getting more strict in the future so we will have to learn to live with it like it or not. But clean air to breath isn't a bad thing either. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
9,755 Posts
I guess fuelmoto is covering their six , they now have a disclaimer pop up you have to agree to before you can go any further ..

Two strokes have all but been banned , and anyone who ever smelt the real Castrol from the 60's and early seventies knows the smell of sumpthin' beautiful .. And I love my two stroke out boards , but they were and are definitely polluters .. Now I aint a greenie by any stretch of the imagination and I don't have a problem doing my share , but the big wheel macaroons that preach it piss me off , they tell us to do our part and they fly from one speech to the next dumping how much crap in the air ..

Regulations suck , but fresh air is nice to breath , for life if nuthin' else ...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
HD still has Screaming Eagle , though I am sure they are still pretty restrictive. Big Government is what we have here, trying to take over much of what we do.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Not to be politically correct, but by using and off road products which all tuners have a disclaimer listing as such we are braking the law if used on highways.
Yes every motorcycle owned from carburetor to now fuels inject been modified.
What I don't like is that HD may have a monopoly if the aftermarket companies can't get EPA certifiy tuners and exhaust systems. Although helping police the rules by voiding warranties if going none EPA compliance.
Wonder how they will police Indy shops from modifying your engines, owners signing waiver for off road use and using it on highways and the state don't have smog test.
On the positive side look at the M8 114 stage 3 delivering strong numbers all EPA specs.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Probably going to get flamed for this but someone has to say it. Harley saw the writing on the wall so sold itself out on this (tuners). Gave the government a win in exchange for leniency.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Probably going to get flamed for this but someone has to say it. Harley saw the writing on the wall so sold itself out on this (tuners). Gave the government a win in exchange for leniency.
It's all win, win win for the moco. I believe they were in on it. They handed over pennies in exchange for dollars.

·
EFI tuning and Exhaust Expert
815 Posts
Just like in the Automotive segment, motorcycle tuning products arent going anywhere anytime soon, however you are going see some changes.

Emissions regulations went into effect for on-road motorcycles in the 1970's and there have been incremental changes in regulations/standards since this time. Also note the standards did not change with the release of the 2017 bikes, the current Tier 2 standards have been in effect since 2010.
https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100O9ZX.pdf
https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/roadbike.htm#guidance

You are going to see changes on both sides of the fence, as we move forward I expect the government agencies will provide a more realistic approach for allowing better opportunites & protocols for securing certifications and compliance for manufacturers (both OE and aftermarket), and the manufacturers in the aftermarket are going to be more pro-active with both emissions compliant products as well as educating consumers and labeling parts offerings that are defined for off-road or race use. We are already working on both fronts.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts