Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searching but still want to be sure to get it right the first time. I'm gonna purchase a 21 up front and leave my stock 16" in the back. Gonna get the rear powder coated. What do I need to do to ensure it rides as good as stock? No wobble, etc. I read I need Monotubes? Are these made by Progressive Suspension? Will these lower the front back to stock height? If I'm keeping my 16 rear, how much do I need to lower the front with the monotubes? If I end up with the front lower than stock will it make my windshield and bars seem shorter? I want it to be the same as stock. Also does my front fender need to be modified? My bikes a 2013 RGC. Thanks

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
The 21" wheel should raise the front end 1-1/14". Monotubes seem to be the majority to bring the ride height back down and improve the ride over stock. Could be you would be fine with how it rides w/o adding anything after adding the 21".

·
Administrator
12,657 Posts
I did a 21 and went with -2 on my monotubes, rides better than stock IMO, I'm happy.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Getting a 21" wheel. Have some questions

Running 21" with matching rear wheel in stock size. No wobble, rides great.

You do have to modify the front fender slightly. The mounting holes need to be elongated slightly in order to tilt the fender slightly. Search in the wheel section. Lots of members have done it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Running 21" with stock size rear. No wobble, rides great.

You do have to modify the front fender slightly. The mounting holes need to be elongated slightly in order to tilt the fender slightly. Search in the wheel section. Lots of members have done it.

Good to hear. Did u install monotubes?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I put the 21 on with stock rear. Rode for about 1000 miles withy that setup. Winter came and I put in the stock height monotubes mainly cause I'm not a small dude so I didn't want it lowered. 8000 miles later and I still love it. Monotubes are used to stiffen up the ride, eliminate the dive when you hit brakes holes etc. a lot of guys just run them to drop the bike for the look. Either way you'll be happy you added them.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Drill holes to 3/8" to raise fender up!
Trust me if you don't it will burn hole through paint
I left my suspension stock and I think it still handles better than stock
Although I am upgrading the rear wheel now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
21 up front, went with mono tube standard and 13" progressive 444 in back. Seems like a good setup for the price and fixes 21 rise without slamming front end cause roads here are garbage

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that wants to get by with just the 21" in the front this year with mono tubes. Then maybe someday I can get the back done.

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Me too. 21" front stock height mono tubes 13" Harley spring shocks. Been like this for a long time and I'm good with it. One day I'll get a matching rear but until then the chromed stock wheel does the trick. Dunno 'bout you but I got bills to pay.

Drew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts