Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

So, to combat the animals on my 30 minute midnight ride home from work everyday, I keep adding lights. This last set of lights are awesome! But I have a struggle I need help with.

The switch is installed in the flap in my left lower faring. Not being a fan of reaching down to my knee every time an oncoming car heads my way, is there a way to wire the on/off into the high beam side of the handlebar switch? I have these on a relay, so the power should not pass through the switch. I would like them to come on and go off with my highs.

Thanks for any help folks!
RIDE ON!

-G_Rex.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello All!

So, to combat the animals on my 30 minute midnight ride home from work everyday, I keep adding lights. This last set of lights are awesome! But I have a struggle I need help with.

The switch is installed in the flap in my left lower faring. Not being a fan of reaching down to my knee every time an oncoming car heads my way, is there a way to wire the on/off into the high beam side of the handlebar switch? I have these on a relay, so the power should not pass through the switch. I would like them to come on and go off with my highs.

RIDE ON!

-G_Rex.

Holy cow, bra you gotta post where you got those. Damnnnn I LIKE THAT....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Hello All!

RIDE ON!

-G_Rex.

Holy cow, bra you gotta post where you got those. Damnnnn I LIKE THAT....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Walmart auto center, Amazon, Auto parts stores are all carrying chinese LED "off road use only" lights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You just trigger the relay off the high beam circuit instead of a toggle switch, or in addition to the toggle switch if you want the lights to stay off for some reason.
Which wire would I run to the high beam? The relay has a 3 wire, black, hot and acc.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Which wire would I run to the high beam? The relay has a 3 wire, black, hot and acc.
In the attached diagram the Red wire is what provides power to the lights from the battery once the relay is energized.

The Black wire in the diagram is ground.

The brown wire in the diagram is what would get wired to the high beam. You can leave the switch in place as well if you want more control over the lights.

With the switch on, the lights will come on whenever you go to high beam and shut off when you go to low beam.

With the switch off, no LED lights even when on high beam.

So, if you wired the bike up correctly, wherever you picked up power on the other side of your switch should be moved to the high beam circuit.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the attached diagram the Red wire is what provides power to the lights from the battery once the relay is energized.

The brown wire in the diagram is what would get wired to the high beam. You can leave the switch in place as well if you want more control over the lights.

With the switch on, the lights will come on whenever you go to high beam and shut off when you go to low beam.

So, if you wired the bike up correctly, wherever you picked up power on the other side of your switch should be moved to the high beam circuit.
Awesome Sauce! I'll give this a try. Here is hoping that it's wired right! :smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

PROBLEM!!!

So, I hooked up the relay switch side to the white wire on the backside of the MOLEX connector to the pin on the relay as put in the diagram. It worked, however when I turn off the high beams, the click of the relay hits a lot harder than before and it causes both turn indicator lamps to flash. (on the dash, not the actual lights). Am I overloading some circuit? I even unhooked the 3 wire, 2 way, lighted switch. Still happened.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
PROBLEM!!!

So, I hooked up the relay switch side to the white wire on the backside of the MOLEX connector to the pin on the relay as put in the diagram. It worked, however when I turn off the high beams, the click of the relay hits a lot harder than before and it causes both turn indicator lamps to flash. (on the dash, not the actual lights). Am I overloading some circuit? I even unhooked the 3 wire, 2 way, lighted switch. Still happened.
check the relay and make sure you have all the correct connections on the relay itself.

So, you removed the wire that goes to the ON/OFF switch from the power source and then connected that wire to the high beam wire?

When you turn off the ON/OFF switch do the indicators stop flashing?

Do the indicators flashing without the actual lights flashing some type of warning message from the bike? Is there anything in your manual?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
check the relay and make sure you have all the correct connections on the relay itself.

So, you removed the wire that goes to the ON/OFF switch from the power source and then connected that wire to the high beam wire?

When you turn off the ON/OFF switch do the indicators stop flashing?

Do the indicators flashing without the actual lights flashing some type of warning message from the bike? Is there anything in your manual?
I routed a wire from the high beam white wire to the relay, inline with the switch so that I could leave them off, as I understood it to be written. With the switch off, the high beams come on and off normally without the new lights coming on. With the switch on, the high beam activation also activates the new lights. However, there is a hard thunk in the relay now, instead of a click, and the turn signal indicators on the dash (just the dash, not the lights themselves) flash once whenever the high beam indicator light comes on or goes off. They are not flashing as if the turn signals had been activated.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
I routed a wire from the high beam white wire to the relay, inline with the switch so that I could leave them off, as I understood it to be written. With the switch off, the high beams come on and off normally without the new lights coming on. With the switch on, the high beam activation also activates the new lights. However, there is a hard thunk in the relay now, instead of a click, and the turn signal indicators on the dash (just the dash, not the lights themselves) flash once whenever the high beam indicator light comes on or goes off. They are not flashing as if the turn signals had been activated.
Very hard to diagnose on the internet and I don't have the same year bike so after making sure all my wiring is correct, my next move would be to break out the Voltmeter and check the voltages and current draw on the circuits.

What circuit did you previously tap into to energize the relay? Did you confirm that it was a 12 volt circuit?

Does your year bike have CAN Bus communication like our Rushmore bikes?

I have triggered relays off the high beam circuit on other bikes, and some bikes require the official OEM accessory driving lights triggered off the high beam circuit so you don't blind oncoming drivers at night.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very hard to diagnose on the internet and I don't have the same year bike so after making sure all my wiring is correct, my next move would be to break out the Voltmeter and check the voltages and current draw on the circuits.

What circuit did you previously tap into to energize the relay? Did you confirm that it was a 12 volt circuit?

Does your year bike have CAN Bus communication like our Rushmore bikes?

I have triggered relays off the high beam circuit on other bikes, and some bikes require the official OEM accessory driving lights triggered off the high beam circuit so you don't blind oncoming drivers at night.
After tipple checking all the circuits and looking for shorted wires that would be causing the issue, I found nothing wrong other than the symptom. So with having my weekend ending, I decided to put the bike back together and live with it until I could tear it all down in the future.

After doing so, everything worked as it should, no more problems. Even the programming for my turn signals finally kept, no more rapid LED flash. I am assuming that the lack of load from the front driving lights and headlights not being there from the missing faring, that the extra juice had to find a place to go.

All is finally well and I thank you a lot for your help!!

-Greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts