Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are endless threads on this topic, and I'm not wanting to wear it out here....

My engine is stock 114 and wears the SE Ventilator breather and 4.5" Krome Werks pipes with torque inserts. I called Fuel Moto yesterday and talked with a very good tech. I gave him a budget and he was extremely helpful with spending it. His suggestion was to begin with the Jackpot 2-1-2 headers in stainless....the 'X' pipe as he called it. After understanding my complete focus is on torque and that I'm NOT worried about hp, he named 3 cams. Unfortunately I can't recall them except for the Woods 22XE. I'm pretty sure the other 2 were by Red Shift and S&S...but no model number stuck. After a bunch of Q&A about my riding style he thought the Woods 22XE could be the best compromise cam. Although I really trust his knowledge, I suspect his riding style and preferences may be influencing the cam he suggests. Read on...

I'm not a gear banger or high rpm shifter. It's 2-up riding 97% of the time. My top cruising speed is around 70 mph just to keep things comfortable. I tend to shift somewhere between 2500 and 3200 rpm normally, but sometimes higher rpm when getting down an on-ramp or accelerating to pass. I simply don't accelerate or ride aggressively as a typical thing. Our terrain here produces roads with TN/NC-type hills and curves....only the big slabs are straight enough to relax on around here. So I want my performance boost to show & feel at lower to mid-range rpms mostly. If I have to rev it (much) to get it....I've missed the mark. I know some extra hp is coming anyway as a result of headers, cam and a tuner.

I'm satisfied the Jackpot headers will be superb, so that's decided. I'm really interested in getting the right cam. Great torque mandatory. Some lopi-ness is definitely desirable. HP is fine but huge gains are not my objective.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I would guess the redshift 468 and S&S 465 was the other options. All are great lower torque cams

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
I personally have never dealt with fuelmoto myself but I haven't really heard anything bad about them so I'd imagine the dude you spoke with wouldn't steer you wrong. In my opinion torque is more important than horsepower, although both would be ideal torque is needed to get these pigs moving

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Woods 22X or 22XE. The 22X is what I run because the torque comes in sooner and delivers where I ride. Either is a great option. Great part is either do very well with no head work .
Had the S&S 465 in a 107 and it was great. You are in luck On FM web sight they have dyno's list with the pipes and CAM's.
Look them over. If you till have question talk to them about it. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Funny I read this, I watched a Kevin Baxter video last night and he was talking about sound. How important sound is to the owner and how it should be considered with the build.
He was speaking on mufflers, but it could be related to cams also. Sure there is a difference in where it hits, numbers and all of that. How much difference number wise is there in the cams listed? Probably not much. What one sound better to you? Thats the one I would pick

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny I read this, I watched a Kevin Baxter video last night and he was talking about sound. How important sound is to the owner and how it should be considered with the build.
He was speaking on mufflers, but it could be related to cams also. Sure there is a difference in where it hits, numbers and all of that. How much difference number wise is there in the cams listed? Probably not much. What one sound better to you? Thats the one I would pick
This is me being a neophyte to the world of engine enhancements: The FM tech told me the higher hp cam he mentioned had the best lope and cadence, BUT is was not good at low rpm torque production. Yeah...I would absolutely love to install a cam that does the potato dance, but not if it misses the objective of good torque without having to find it via higher rpms. For me it's torque...cadence....hp in that order.

I would guess the redshift 468 and S&S 465 was the other options. All are great lower torque cams
Those could be the ones, though I have no positive memory of the numbers. I'm going to send an email to 'my' tech and ask him to list the specific cams.

Woods 22X or 22XE. The 22X is what I run because the torque comes in sooner and delivers where I ride. Either is a great option. Great part is either do very well with no head work .
Had the S&S 465 in a 107 and it was great. You are in luck On FM web sight they have dyno's list with the pipes and CAM's.
Look them over. If you till have question talk to them about it. Good luck on your search.
Thank you. I have lots of homework to do there it seems.

I'm making no secret of this fact: I need the expertise of others and I'm searching for that combo of header, cam and tune that gets me close to my needs. It doesn't need to be perfect, but I don't want to miss it by a mile either.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
don't take this wrong, but based on your riding, do you really need a new cam? if you really need help spending your money i can provide a list... :D
Of course I don't, but then this entire bike is built of things I don't need....but like and enjoy.

·
Registered
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
1,589 Posts
The stock head pipe performs well until upping the displacement. Based on the gain you want, I'd say a wood 22x, S&S 465 but take a look at Cyclerama cr480. It may fulfill both the performance window and give you the lope you desire.

Reactions: StoneTrekker

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Appreciate all the advice and back rubs. I've been strongly considering doing the stage II work myself. I've got a good clean garage, and most of the tools required...with the definite exception of the inner cam bearing tool which I'm ok with buying. I've got a 2020 service manual coming as well. I'm sure there has to be 20 different videos going into detail on header and cam changes....and I just have to search and find them.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Agreed. I have true duals with a stage 2 and high flow baffles. My bike sounds better than 90% of the bikes out there (to me) anyways. I gave up power and torque, but it still rips enough for me. Do what makes u happy.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
I went with a Cycle Rama 480 over the winter from a SE Torque cam. It definitely sounds wicked. We'll see how it sounds and runs after it gets tuned this week. I suggest you call Wes at Cycle Rama and talk to him, great guy to chat with but the selling point to me on the CR cam was checking out Home | Alpha Performance Engines and Home. I talked to both them as well and that's all it took for me

·
Registered
2021 RGS 128
199 Posts
couple quick things.
1) I have a 22xe in my 128 build and while I can't comment on a 114 build its great for my bike, nice sound and power.
2) My brother in law just had the red shift 468 put in his bike at the recommendation of a world famous tuner, he loves it. His only complaint with Rhinehardt heads and slip ons is that its too loud.
3) The S&S cams are nice and I would probably look at the 475C as that seems to be the popular choice and the one I was considering before selecting the Woods. You can get it in a cam chest with pump and plate all at once and maybe save a few bucks and you know it will all work together first go around.

Now to the other thoughts,.... How important are things like low end torque versus higher rpm torque? Many sacrifice higher end for lower end and vice versa. Also, future upgrade plans? It might be wise to select 1 cam you can enjoy throughout the journey. Not sure thats easy to do per-se, but some stock high torque cams (like Harley SE Torque) don't seem to work so well on bikes with further mods.

Do it yourself, its all pretty easy stuff if you can follow directions. Have a good set of Allen head Sockets available and a wobble socket.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
2,060 Posts
Appreciate all the advice and back rubs. I've been strongly considering doing the stage II work myself. I've got a good clean garage, and most of the tools required...with the definite exception of the inner cam bearing tool which I'm ok with buying. I've got a 2020 service manual coming as well. I'm sure there has to be 20 different videos going into detail on header and cam changes....and I just have to search and find them.
Are you planning on a dyno tune? or just running the canned map from FM?
If you are planning a dyno tune then I would talk to your tuner to and get his input before making any final decisions.
Lots of video's on doing the cam swap, the JP cycles is probably the best one.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The S&S cams are nice and I would probably look at the 475C as that seems to be the popular choice and the one I was considering before selecting the Woods. You can get it in a cam chest with pump and plate all at once and maybe save a few bucks and you know it will all work together first go around.

Now to the other thoughts,.... How important are things like low end torque versus higher rpm torque? Many sacrifice higher end for lower end and vice versa. Also, future upgrade plans? It might be wise to select 1 cam you can enjoy throughout the journey. Not sure thats easy to do per-se, but some stock high torque cams (like Harley SE Torque) don't seem to work so well on bikes with further mods.

Do it yourself, its all pretty easy stuff if you can follow directions. Have a good set of Allen head Sockets available and a wobble socket.
Appreciate! I'll def check out that cam package. As for rpm & torque....I'm 100% about lower rpm and grunt. I simply have no desire to chase high-rpm performance as I simply don't run my engine that hard. I sometimes feel like I might be the weird guy on a Harley, as loud ripping pipes and big hp don't impress or interest me....never have. I don't ride turtle though, and when I roll the throttle back I want my (and her) butt to feel the instant power. Anyway, I know almost any cam I select will give me at least 20 extra hp. I just need one that is ready with torque at 2,000....

I'm sure I can do the job. It's the little things I need to be careful with. Tools are no worry.

Are you planning on a dyno tune? or just running the canned map from FM?
If you are planning a dyno tune then I would talk to your tuner to and get his input before making any final decisions.
Lots of video's on doing the cam swap, the JP cycles is probably the best one.
Most likely I'll do a planned and canned from FM. I live a long way from the nearest dyno shop, and I'm really not worried about getting every last foot-ounce of torque.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
2,060 Posts
Appreciate! I'll def check out that cam package. As for rpm & torque....I'm 100% about lower rpm and grunt. I simply have no desire to chase high-rpm performance as I simply don't run my engine that hard. I sometimes feel like I might be the weird guy on a Harley, as loud ripping pipes and big hp don't impress or interest me....never have. I don't ride turtle though, and when I roll the throttle back I want my (and her) butt to feel the instant power. Anyway, I know almost any cam I select will give me at least 20 extra hp. I just need one that is ready with torque at 2,000....

I'm sure I can do the job. It's the little things I need to be careful with. Tools are no worry.

Most likely I'll do a planned and canned from FM. I live a long way from the nearest dyno shop, and I'm really not worried about getting every last foot-ounce of torque.
Then I would stick with what FM suggested.
You will lose a bit of low end grunt with the 2-1-2 compared to a 2-1 but will probably be your best cam for what you are looking for.
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Triangle

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Plot

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^^Excellent and I've been looking at those exact setups...well....a few small differences. I doubt if my body and speed lobe could tell the difference in those 2 rides. Good stuff.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts