Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was just a boring day waiting for the snow to start falling again so I decided to get in the garage to start doing my radio and amp install. I got the radio out in no time but sitting back I just stared at it for a bit deciding if I wanted to dive in and pull the inner. It's been faded for awhile now. The hell with it i said and tore it down. Got everything off no problem. I took the ignition switch off and continued to pull the gauge pod off too. Again no problems at all. It's all in my truck waiting to be delivered to my buddy for paint.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Rob, you're going to like how well the painted inner fairing makes the Glide look.
I've been working on my Glide for a while now with this lousy weather we have here in the North East.
I cleaned up all my stereo wiring after installing the Alpine 149 BT.
What a difference the Alpine made in the sound.
Hopefully we can get together as soon as the weather breaks.
Best of luck with your inner and new stereo install.
Keep us posted.
Mike U.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was alil leary about having it painted orange and how I'd like staring at that wall of orange while riding but being so faded something has to be done. I figured since I'm already in there and I'm pretty much half way there now would be the time. And Mike I'm up for ride anywhere

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mirage orange Pearl is real tough to match but it looks great with the inner matched, makes the bike look much sleeker without that huge black inner fairing in your face.
I agree with the matching. My buddy has painted a few other things for me and the came out pretty good. There's a slight difference but for what he charges me I'm ok with that. I don't mind the matte black of the inner but being faded as bad as is its time. I'm not a huge fan of it being gloss black, although it does look nice it's just not for me So orange it is.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after some pretty major delays at my buddies shop I finally got the inner fairing back from paint. He had employee problems and had to fire 2 of them and hire 2 replacements which was the big reason for the delay. I had him do the inner and gauge pod along with saddlebag speaker lids. I found out from my local dealer and pcpain that I can't get a MOP painted inner anymore because the MoCo basically discontinued the color for painted parts. While my buddy had this delay it gave me a chance to order and install monotubes up front. So, now the fairing is back on and the aftermarket radio, amp and speakers are finally done. The bike rides great with the monotubes, sounds great with the audio upgrades and looks great with the inner painted. still not 100% about the paint match though. In some lights it matches perfectly but in others it's not quite right. My bike still hasn't been cleaned so that along with being in the sun for 5/6 years there may be a slight difference. still it's better than the faded black it once was. In this pic it look perfect but like I said in other lights it's not. We will see when I detail it and it's sunny outside as today was overcast. [URL=http://s1073.photobucket.com/user/rlaf75/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150403_104002_zpsbztlsbts.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Rob, the painted inner looks great.
You're gonna love the ride of the monotubes also.
I've had them in mine for a little over two years now and with the 944's in the rear my bike feels like I'm riding on rails.
Hope you enjoy them as much as most of us that have them do.
Mike U.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank mike. It definitely rides nicer. I only put a couple miles on it today cuz the weather here isn't that great but it was way better than srock. As for the fairing I'll need to wait until the sun pops up to get a really good looks at the match. Still looks better than the faded black it was

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Looks good. That's a whole lot of bright color. If it's not a perfect match it sure is damn close. It looks glossier than the paint on the tank, but that could be the age of the original paint.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts