Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a trip this July to Glacier Nat. Park from Tacoma,Wa. Thinking about taking Hwy 20 and hwy 2 across northern Wa. Anyone have any suggestions on an alternate route or must see's at the park or on the way? Return trip is still undecided. Heading into Canada is also a possibility.
Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I have done the Hwy 20 from Sedro Wooley a few times and it one of my Fav. Make sure you gas Sedro and then it a great trip up and over the Mtns. There is a couple small towns Concrete and Diablo but thats it. The trip is worth while and better going West to East down into the HEAT. Little town on the other side called and Whintrop is a good stop also, little farther down the road is Twisp with some good rivers close to the hwy for cooling off

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
I have done the Hwy 20 from Sedro Wooley a few times and it one of my Fav. Make sure you gas Sedro and then it a great trip up and over the Mtns. There is a couple small towns Concrete and Diablo but thats it. The trip is worth while and better going West to East down into the HEAT. Little town on the other side called and Whintrop is a good stop also, little farther down the road is Twisp with some good rivers close to the hwy for cooling off
+1 on that route and the stops. We have headed that way in Late August early September that past two years. Great ride. In Glacier the "road to the sun" is awesome. You climb to around 10k feet in those twistys. Slow ride, but scenic and the views as you climb get better and better.

Rowdy

·
Registered
955 Posts
Dude, I've only ridden the area once in my life but in the 38 years I've been throwing a leg over a motorcycle, one day stands out as the best ever.

On your way east, ride Hell's Canyon. There may be other, better routes, but coming from the southeast on I-84 I turned east on 86 at Baker City, Oregon. I rode the "loop' north through Richland, Homestead and Joseph. At Enterprise I turned north onto 3 towards Lewiston, Wash (3 becomes 129 when you cross into Washington).

I don't know what the rest of the roadway looks like if you were to go back to 84, but the part I just mentioned was hands down the best day of riding I've ever had in my life. Imagine riding Tail of the Dragon in NC- you know, 318 curves in 11 miles. Except this route goes on maybe 125 miles. And instead of hundreds of other motorists of all kinds sharing the road, you'll see only a handful. Snow capped mountains in the near distance with ancient pine trees towering in every direction, and nary a cigarette butt to be seen on the side of the spotless pavement.

It is magnificent.

I fueled up at Lewiston and went east on US 12/ aka The Nez Perce/ Lewis and Clark Trail. 12 runs along the Clearwater River and is another gorgeous but less technical ride. Easy sweepers along the historic river.

I overnighted at a county camp ground in Orofino, Idaho right off of the HWY 12 roadside. I think I paid 10 dollars (in 2008) for a raised, level tent pad 30 feet from the bank of the river. The site had a picnic table and grill. There was one other camper besides the camp host in the park. No showers there but there's a bathroom and you can get provisions in Orofino.

The next morning I had breakfast at a great place in Lowell, Idaho (you'll know it when you see it). Before I realized it was mid July and that I had on full leather plus raingear on for a windbreaker, and was still a little cold, I considered moving there when I retire. Then this Texas boy realized there's no way I could tolerate the winters there and came to my senses. But it's absolutely beautiful.

12 has the famous stretch with the warning signs that show the S symbol and "next 99 miles" underneath. Also, speed limit 55. Yeah, whatever. The road handles 70 with ease. You'll end up over the Lolo pass at the Montana state line before heading north at Missoula on 93 up to GNP.

As I said in the beginning, I've only ridden the area once. If there are better runs, and I'm sure there are- I want to ride them. But I guarantee you'll love this route.

And you'll love GNP as well.

Have fun and ride safe!

·
Registered
946 Posts
That's beautiful country no matter which way you ride it. If you get the chance ride further east on 20, it only gets better!

Stephen

W

·
0 Posts
Glacier is not far from me and a very nice trip. Going to the sun highway is a must of course. If it's a hot day, stop in at the Cedar Forest and have a cool walk amongst the trees on the boardwalk. Keep an eye out for Grizzlies the farther you go in. I had to stop and turn around one time because of a large Sow with cubs. When you get on top of the mountain on Going to the Sun Hwy just before Logan Pass, there is a large group of Mountain Goats in the area. Be sure to stop in at Logan Pass Visitors Center and take a hike up the trail. You will get to a point where you'll be able to see some mountain lakes below you and there is a tendency to see Goats right along the trail. Absolute beautiful scenery. You can also sneak North through Waterton Park in Canada.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your responses! I've lived in Wa. for 50 years and have traveled many of the great roads in the great NW (including BC and Alberta), heck I've even been to Stony Plain( big azz mall you've got up there!).But I've never been to NE Wa.or NW Montana. This year's the time! Again, thanks for all your replies.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've got a Glacier Park trip planned in July also. I'm coming in from the east, picking the wife up at the Great Falls MT airport. We are going north from there into Canada to Waterton NP. We'll then head a little further north to Pincher Creek, AB and then west into BC over Crowsnest pass. We then will come back into the US near Eureka, MT and make our way over to Glacier Park and take Going to the Sun Road to get back over to the east side again.

I've been to Glacier a couple times, but never on a bike... Will be the first trip for the wife. Can hardly wait!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I'm spoiled as i have ridden gnp no less then twenty times i think unless you are going to spend time hiking it is kind of boring. The ride thru canada taking the kananaskas hiway is much cooler

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hiway 20 to Spokane and then Hiway 2 the rest of the way to Kalispell is a great ride. Great roads and not much traffic. If you're staying there Kalispell is the best place to stay. We found a real good brew pub there that also had real good food and was reasonable.

For your return trip, try taking 93 south to Missoula and then Hiway 12 over Lolo Pass back to Clarkston in the SE corner of WA state. From there, there's lots of great 2 lane heading back towards the rainy side...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hiway 20 to Spokane and then Hiway 2 the rest of the way to Kalispell is a great ride. Great roads and not much traffic. If you're staying there Kalispell is the best place to stay. We found a real good brew pub there that also had real good food and was reasonable.

For your return trip, try taking 93 south to Missoula and then Hiway 12 over Lolo Pass back to Clarkston in the SE corner of WA state. From there, there's lots of great 2 lane heading back towards the rainy side...
bramond, You're reading my mind. Thats our plan if we decide to take a southern route home. May go north from GNP and come back thru Canada. Decisions, decisions. Do you remember the name of the pub in Kalispell?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
bramond, You're reading my mind. Thats our plan if we decide to take a southern route home. May go north from GNP and come back thru Canada. Decisions, decisions. Do you remember the name of the pub in Kalispell?
probably Highlander brew pub. Whitefish has some really cool pubs and breweries too. Mooses in Kalispel is worth going to and might be one of the funnest places in Montana if you hit on the right day.

W

·
0 Posts
If you decide to go back home via Canada I have some recommendations for you. Cross the border at Eureka, MT and head West to Cranbrook, BC. One of the smallest HD shops you'll ever see is right there called Cranbrook Powersports located at 2108 Cranbrook St N. 5 blocks West of there located at 1617 Cranbrook St N is a fine eatery called Franks Steak & Schnitzel Haus. If you order one of his fantastic Weiner Schnitzels, your meal comes on 2 plates. One for the Schnitzel and the other for the rest of the trimmings.

After you leave Cranbrook head for Hwy 3A and take the East shore of Kootenay Lake to the Free Ferry. There are approx 242 curves in the road from the Jct to the Ferry landing. Along the way you'll see a house that is made of glass and it's not regular glass windows either.

Once you get off the Ferry you can take a short ride East to Ainsworth Hot Springs to soak and stay for the night (a little spendy) but a beautiful view from the hot springs of the lake. The other thing you can do is to head West on 3A to Hwy 6 which takes you to Nelson, BC a fun little town built on a hillside. A nice place to stay with decent prices and a discount for bikers is the New Grand Hotel. Danny Rickaby the owner is a really cool guy and a biker, his staff is great and there is a covered area for bikes with security cameras that oversees the bike area with monitors at the office.

Nelson has a bunch of great places to eat and some nice pubs. After leaving Nelson you can go to the Jct and take Hwy 3 West heading back home. Great little towns all the way across BC.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
If you decide to go back home via Canada I have some recommendations for you. Cross the border at Eureka, MT and head West to Cranbrook, BC. One of the smallest HD shops you'll ever see is right there called Cranbrook Powersports located at 2108 Cranbrook St N. 5 blocks West of there located at 1617 Cranbrook St N is a fine eatery called Franks Steak & Schnitzel Haus. If you order one of his fantastic Weiner Schnitzels, your meal comes on 2 plates. One for the Schnitzel and the other for the rest of the trimmings.

After you leave Cranbrook head for Hwy 3A and take the East shore of Kootenay Lake to the Free Ferry. There are approx 242 curves in the road from the Jct to the Ferry landing. Along the way you'll see a house that is made of glass and it's not regular glass windows either.

Once you get off the Ferry you can take a short ride East to Ainsworth Hot Springs to soak and stay for the night (a little spendy) but a beautiful view from the hot springs of the lake. The other thing you can do is to head West on 3A to Hwy 6 which takes you to Nelson, BC a fun little town built on a hillside. A nice place to stay with decent prices and a discount for bikers is the New Grand Hotel. Danny Rickaby the owner is a really cool guy and a biker, his staff is great and there is a covered area for bikes with security cameras that oversees the bike area with monitors at the office.

Nelson has a bunch of great places to eat and some nice pubs. After leaving Nelson you can go to the Jct and take Hwy 3 West heading back home. Great little towns all the way across BC.
Ditto my wife and another couple did that ride last year and spent a couple nights at Ainsworth and we are going back again this year. Awesome country.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts