Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lightly modified 05 RoadGlide, it has a set of Andrews cams, Reinhart duels, SE breather, and and a power commander 3. The bike was tuned on the dyno by a respectable shop here in Indy after the cams were added and it ran great, other than that the motor is stock with 60k miles on it. Last year on a 10 day trip to Maine it started to not want to idle when we came to a stop, I could feather it and keep it running but it wanted to die. It seemed ok on the throttle and at speed. I pulled into a NAPA I saw and got a set of spark plugs and it seemed to fix it. Plugs probably only had 3000 miles on them but it seemed to work so off we went. seemed fine then about 2000 miles later it is having same symptoms. I pulled the pluga and they looked fine but I replaced them again anyway and it ran fine. What is causing this? How may miles should you get on a set of plugs? Are coils going bad or something like that?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have a lightly modified 05 RoadGlide, it has a set of Andrews cams, Reinhart duels, SE breather, and and a power commander 3. The bike was tuned on the dyno by a respectable shop here in Indy after the cams were added and it ran great, other than that the motor is stock with 60k miles on it. Last year on a 10 day trip to Maine it started to not want to idle when we came to a stop, I could feather it and keep it running but it wanted to die. It seemed ok on the throttle and at speed. I pulled into a NAPA I saw and got a set of spark plugs and it seemed to fix it. Plugs probably only had 3000 miles on them but it seemed to work so off we went. seemed fine then about 2000 miles later it is having same symptoms. I pulled the pluga and they looked fine but I replaced them again anyway and it ran fine. What is causing this? How may miles should you get on a set of plugs? Are coils going bad or something like that?
Sounds like the IAC port is gummed up or the controller is going out. IAC= idle air controller, there is an opening on the inside of your throttle body that has a plunger that moves, take some carb cleaner and clean it out while you cycle the key on and off. This maybe a short term fix but eventually the iac will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try that, but replacing the spark plugs fixed it immediately although somewhat short term. As soon as I swapped plugs it fired fine and idled smooth. Seems strange all of a sudden plugs go bad at 2 or 3 thousand miles and they don't even look bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts