Road Glide banner

Glove box mod

16K views 26 replies 24 participants last post by  The Volusianator 
#1 ·
I have a question for all of our members. We all know the use of our glove boxes are pretty limited so I had a wild idea and want to see if it has been done before or is even possible before I attempt it.
Here it is, has anyone made the lid on the glove boxes open the other way? I have a crazy idea of making my left side box a gun holster (yes I'm a lefty).
For many reasons I believe it would be practical and a pretty clever use of the space. I recently saw a few bike seats in arizona that doubled as a gun holster, so the idea popped in my head.

#2 ·
I havent ever thought of it, but it sounds like a hell of an idea. try it out and let us know...you may be on to something.

#3 ·
Even if ur normal (right handed :p) u should learn to shoot left handed so you keep on the throttle. Are you gonna take the take the box out or modify it to mount the holster? We just got issued Blackhawks Serpa holster for our Tasers and I'm really impressed. It would be easy to modify the holster to mount it on a hard surface. I don't know if if you can get enough clearance because of the lower half of the glovebox lid unless you set it up to draw straight back instead of up.
Now you got me wanting to break out the Dremel and start cutting.

#6 ·
My plan as of so far is to mount it so you would pull straight back at a slight angle to get it out not up. Most if not all of the original glove box itself would have to be cut out of the way from what I am thinking.
My XD 9 isn't a huge piece but making room for a proper and safe holster would be my concern, I also think no matter what you actually had in those boxes opening the other way would be safer with a lock in it then the way they open now.
I was going to add key matched locks to them as they are to keep the ipod or other small things in but even with a lock you would still be able to pry it open pretty easy.
Not quite sure how I want to go about it yet, was hoping someone else already had or knew of an article in that direction.
My mind is racing about it as well!
Right now I have speakers mounted on the inside of my inner fairing, but if I can figure out how to make this work I will gladly replace the inner fairing and get vented lowers for my extra speaker needs.
I already have holes in this inner fairing so I have two "practice" attempts to get it right before it actually costs me anything.

#8 ·
Good thought..... I guess........... however when a carry, I carry, I want the firearm going with me not staying with the bike. ;)

#12 ·
I have a buddy of mine looking into different holsters and what he could modify to make it work they way I want it to, he is killer with plastic welding and glass.
Thank you for all the advice, if I can get it done I will of course post pics

#13 ·
This is my plan, since I do have a CCW permit here in TN. I have a Sig P220 .45 and it's a rather large piece. My idea was, to use a Blackhawk CQB holster, which is a security holster, and mount it outside the inner fairing between the fairing and the tank. While on the bike, it's right there 'tween the tank and inner fairing, and when I get to where Im goin, slide it out and put it in the holster Im wearing at the time.

#15 ·
I've got a pretty sweet setup. My holster mounts to a dual purpose belt, which mounts to me. It holds my pants up and my pistol close.

#25 ·
RGR that, if you have to reach in your glove box to get your gun, your probably dead.....And for those who like to let everyone see that you carry a gun..Why? I don't want anyone to know I am armed. If I am a bad guy and see that you have a gun on your hip, you will be the first person I'll shoot. Don't mean to offend anyone, you have the right to carry as you see fit. I have 30yrs + of training in this type of stuff......Stealth Surprise Speed.

#22 ·
What lights are they?

#24 ·
looks like a phone charger, I did the same to mine, I added a flush mount dual USB charger as well as a audio input from my phone to my head unit. in the other glove box I added another universal 12v adaptor. pretty handy stuff to have, I thought abt the lights but didn't do it, maybe one day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.