Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a fair amount of reading/watching, and after watching Matt Laidlaw's video on these shocks I'm planning on giving them a try. I got my 15 RGUCVO used about 3 years ago. A great bike for me but I've always wanted to upgrade the standard air shocks on it. I'm planning on ordering these today. I spoke w/ them for a bit yesterday, and they will price match so I think I can get these for around $850ish. So, if anyone has reservations about them please reply quick. I'm already looking forward to them.

Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:) Time's up! Just ordered. They sound like a great family business with a lot of years in off-road racing knowledge, and now bringing this to the HD world. The gal I spoke with says this shock has been out for coming up 2 years this spring and to her knowledge they've not had a customer complaint. Looking forward to seeing how these things do.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've got the 13" with heavy springs on my '12 and really happy with them. At 215 lbs. solo they are more than soft enough for me. When we are double up, just a few more clicks and heaven once again. I think you'll be happy with your choice.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've got the 13" with heavy springs on my '12 and really happy with them. At 215 lbs. solo they are more than soft enough for me. When we are double up, just a few more clicks and heaven once again. I think you'll be happy with your choice.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Sometimer. I believe yours was one of the relatively few posts I read on these shocks. I really like everything I've read about these, and the Laidlaw positive comments pushed me to look more closely at these. I've used some other shocks on my previous 13 RGU that were good, but didn't really wow me. Won't name them because lots of folks have had great results w/ them - but I'm looking forward to these. We do some long rides 2up and I'm hoping these help us stay in the saddle for some years to come!

·
Registered
120 Posts
:) Time's up! Just ordered. They sound like a great family business with a lot of years in off-road racing knowledge, and now bringing this to the HD world. The gal I spoke with says this shock has been out for coming up 2 years this spring and to her knowledge they've not had a customer complaint. Looking forward to seeing how these things do.
Lets us know once you get them on how they are.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After reading this and watching the video on the RS-1 shocks, I may keep my shocks money in my pocket for a while longer. I am looking for that old man Cadillac ride. I was ready to order a pair of Legend Revo A's. These have sparked my intrest.

·
Registered
618 Posts
After reading this and watching the video on the RS-1 shocks, I may keep my shocks money in my pocket for a while longer. I am looking for that old man Cadillac ride. I was ready to order a pair of Legend Revo A's. These have sparked my intrest.
I highly recommend the REVO-As....I got mine from Iron Aces, best prices around if you send them an email.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, got them in today. Hope to install tomorrow. Wish rain wasn’t forecast all week. They sure look purty 😊

Attachments

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got them put on today. All easy - little tweaking the jack to get holes lined up. Rainy today but couldn’t resist taking out for a 8ish mile loop. To short for any real useful info, but I could tell an improvement leaving our driveway. Hit all the rough spots I could find and seemed kind of impressive. Did the thing where I put the front wheel in a pothole and wondered if the back wheel missed it somehow. Still felt the big bumps but definitely seemed better. I’ll try to post some thoughts after some decent miles. First impression is real good.

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Got them put on today. All easy - little tweaking the jack to get holes lined up. Rainy today but couldn’t resist taking out for a 8ish mile loop. To short for any real useful info, but I could tell an improvement leaving our driveway. Hit all the rough spots I could find and seemed kind of impressive. Did the thing where I put the front wheel in a pothole and wondered if the back wheel missed it somehow. Still felt the big bumps but definitely seemed better. I’ll try to post some thoughts after some decent miles. First impression is real good.
Glad to hear your initial thoughts are positive. I played a little with my clickers before settling on what I thought was best. If I remember right I'm at 3 clicks solo and 5 clicks for 2 up.
You might want to check the misalignment tab on the left side. Doesn't appear to be in the proper position. Hate to see your bag getting scuffed.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"You might want to check the misalignment tab on the left side. Doesn't appear to be in the proper position. Hate to see your bag getting scuffed. "

Thanks Sometimer! Good eye. I actually forgot about that. I took that pic and noticed it during the install - fixed before I finished.

I just did a 20 mile loop and all still good. I'm still set as they set it for our weight. I'm about 185 and wife is about 135. I think they were going to set two clicks in. I'll definitely be playing w/ the settings a bit. Do you mind saying what weights you're set for?

·
Registered
15 Posts
How noticeable is the height difference going from a 12" to the 13" shock? That is a concern that I have. I seem to be getting shorter the older I get.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine is an ultra, so I was already on 13 in shocks. Given the angle of the shock, seems to me there would really be less than one inch of vertical difference in your 12 and these 13 inch shocks. Not sure how bad you want shocks, but you can also have your seat worked to drop you an inch or so. Mean City Cycle is a well known one on here, or I got a local upholsterer to do mine.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I just did a 20 mile loop and all still good. I'm still set as they set it for our weight. I'm about 185 and wife is about 135. I think they were going to set two clicks in. I'll definitely be playing w/ the settings a bit. Do you mind saying what weights you're set for?
[/QUOTE]

When we are doubled up and loaded for touring we're talking 430# ish. I have the heavy springs and they came with the spring threaded back completely. Didn't need much tweaking for solo, and then just set the clicker up a couple to my liking. We set the sag for two up with help from a third person measuring and adjusted the springs for 3/4" sag. Now I just leave the spring set for 2 up and adjust the compression clicker when solo. These shocks seem to be pretty forgiving with there anti bottoming technology.

Here's a helpful tip: You can use the rubber bumper on the piston shaft as an indicator to see how much of the travel is being used. Just slide it down as low as it will go. I had to use a flat screw driver to walk it down the shaft as it is pretty snug. Not hard to do, just easier than with fat fingers. Now go for a ride and then observe how far back up the bumper traveled. Adjust shock if necessary. You could also use a plastic zip tie and achieve the same results.

Frick'n ay! All this talk about putzin' on the bike and all I can do is look at the snow on the ground and single digit temps. Come on spring!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts