Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It will happen sooner or later with the quirky, slightly annoying, Italian EFI. Once again I had to the take it to the shop for an over-haul. Btw I'm using an indie shop not the local MoCo-guys who're scoffing at my classic scoot.
So, my trusted mechanic told me that sooner or later I have to be doing something drastic as in replacing the p.o.s. EFI.
Sure, if I had the money I would happily spend it on the splendid Zipper's Thunder Max performance EFI replacement but that would cost me more than US$ 2.000,- (or 16.000,- in local currency, more than half my monthly salary!) plus the hours at the shop. I'm not sure if it is worth it to spend that much money on a 15 years old iron-horse...
That leaves me with the obvious option - the good ol' carburetor!
I know that Mikuni offer some good carbs but I want something made in the USA (yeah, I know, but that's me :)). And I want something classic, hence S&S Cycle Inc. My choice would be the Super E Carb as I believe the Super G would be a little over the top, am I right?
Now, has anyone here done this, gone from EFI to carb? And how many hours would it take for a trained tech?

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Know that "05 was the last year for the constant velocity carbs for the RK, putting a Muniki 42 in place , jetted and dyno thrown in was the indy offer.

Ripping out all the wires ought be fun

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your late to the party. hundreds have ditched the Magneti-Morelli for a carb. S&S Super E is what you want. G too big.
Yeah, I know - my mom used to tell me that all the time! :D

On a serious note; the Magneti Marelli is an acquired taste alright. But it's amazing that this company is very much still alive and kicking since 1919! M&M produces a lot of high-tech electronic-systems for racing bikes (Moto GP and WSBK). And it might work well in a Benelli or an Aprillia with an engine as smooth as a Singer sewing machine. But pair that fidgety EFI with a "big-twin shake rattle&rol"l and you're asking for trouble. IMHO

Yeah - that's what I figured; the Super E should be more than enough for my 95ci. I believe the Super G is for engines with displacement of 100ci +.

Cheers

·
Registered
546 Posts
MM makes some good stuff, heavily involved in Mopar racing. But the EFI in Harley application has been a failure. Pressure regulator, hoses in the tank, etc. did not hold up. Swapping to a carb was all the rage.........12 years ago, and was the least expensive way to deal with the MM problems. Surprised you made it this long. Delphi as you know was a huge improvement and works excellent. Anyway your bike will run extremely well going to a carb. S&S used to install the G carb on their 100" crate motors, but with testing found it too large and they ran better with a E. Even carb'd S&S 111" Evo and TC based motors come with an E carb. Best Wishes with your modifications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts