Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Myself and a buddy are heading to Maggie Valley to check out Wheels Through Time. We will be leaving from St. Louis. Wanted to get some input on routes and were to stay. We could take 64 to 24 to 40 but prefer to stay off as many super slabs as possible. Also any suggestions for detour rides either there or on the way are appreciated. We plan on being gone for about 4-5 days so we are in no hurry.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Mike

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
No bad roads in Maggie Valley area. Not sure what kind of time you have before you leave but there's a guy that sells maps. Lookup 100 Roads in the Smokey Mountains or something like that. Great map. Also give yourself a good part of the day at Wheels through time. Good people.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Don't count out I40 as being a boring road by any means. From 81 to the SR 276 exit to Waynesville can be pretty fun.

I've been down there a few times now. Always looking for new routes. Just depends on what you're looking to do. SR 276 out of Waynesville heading south to 64 in a fun ride. A couple of waterfalls to take in along the way. Route 64 itself is nice, again, more waterfalls.

There's the Cherohola, the Dragon, The Rattler, The Hellbender, The BRP.

The city of Cherokee is kind of touristy but if you're into collecting poker chips, MoCo has a boutique there that sells shirts and stuff. Not a bad way to kill an hour or so walking around.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
No bad roads in Maggie Valley area. Not sure what kind of time you have before you leave but there's a guy that sells maps. Lookup 100 Roads in the Smokey Mountains or something like that. Great map. Also give yourself a good part of the day at Wheels through time. Good people.
http://americaridesmaps.com/

·
Registered
72 Posts
inter5state is the fastest way there the on real trouble will be Nashville because of construction other than that good riding all the way. been out there twice

·
Registered
81 Posts
We stayed at the Scottish Inn right in Maggie Valley a couple weeks ago. Great service. Will stay there again. Right in the middle of things there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Place to stay

I have stayed here a couple times and it is awesome. Bring a tent, camper or use their cabins. Motorcycles only! Not too far from Maggie Valley there is an exit right off the BR Parkway. They even do breakfast and dinner.
http://blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com/

59 Motorcycle Drive
US 276 Cruso, NC
(828)235-8350

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Not sure of your route there however, if your passing farther north (near Bristol) route 421 through Shady Valley is a blast. Goes over 2 mountains and nice switchbacks. (called the snake)
A friend of Y2KFLHR gave me this suggestion, and was one of my detours on the way to Sharkweek. had a blast so I did it 3 times! Each mountain pass is only about 12 miles so you get a nice little break in the valley.:D

If your on the Blue Ridge Parkway, near Mile-Marker 334 is Little Switzerland. Do the Diamondback. You wont be disappointed.

here is a link for some information on the Diamondback

http://thediamondbacknc.com

Have a blast on the trip. The Wheels Through time museum is great. Everyone was awesome there.

·
Super Moderator
9,664 Posts
We go up at least once a year , were there during SWV ..

I-40 past the I-81 split is pretty awesome , specially when you ride thru the mountain .. If you stay on the slab going thru Knoxville , do yourself a favor and get on the 640 bypass ..

Chattanooga will be a PITA on 24 , lots of traffic might near anytime of day ..

NC 209 is a great ride along with all the others mentioned ..

JtB

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input everyone. That's why I like this forum.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Not sure of your route there however, if your passing farther north (near Bristol) route 421 through Shady Valley is a blast. Goes over 2 mountains and nice switchbacks. (called the snake)
A friend of Y2KFLHR gave me this suggestion, and was one of my detours on the way to Sharkweek. had a blast so I did it 3 times! Each mountain pass is only about 12 miles so you get a nice little break in the valley.:D

If your on the Blue Ridge Parkway, near Mile-Marker 334 is Little Switzerland. Do the Diamondback. You wont be disappointed.

Have a blast on the trip. The Wheels Through time museum is great. Everyone was awesome there.
Adding that to my list for this fall's trip.:D
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts

Adding that to my list for this fall's trip.:D
Thanks!
+1 on 421, it is a great road. I usually pick it up around Richmond or London, Kentucky and ride it down, especially when I'm heading to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Some say 421 the Snake runs from around Richmond all the way to North Carolina south of the BRP, but strictly speaking the Snake is from Bristol to Mountain City, Tn. As mentioned Shady Valley breaks up the Snake in pretty much two equal parts and there's a general store at Shady Valley if ya wanna get Snake t-shirts, stickers and stuff.

The switchbacks south of Shady Valley are kind of technical and be careful if two-up. I've heard of a lot of dropped bikes trying to navigate them, some friends just a couple of years ago dropped theirs resulting in a broke leg. Once you get to Mountain City there are some very good loops off of 421 if you have the time. If you're needing a place to stay though I'd recommend going on to Boone, N.C. which isn't much further, like maybe 20 miles. Lots more hotels and restaurants. Its a college town and the old part of town is pretty cool as well.

The only drawback of 421 is during the week you may have to deal with coal trucks, especially in Kentucky and it's a main route used in the area so you may deal with trucks or the odd school bus even in the heart of the Snake. When you get to Boone however you are basically at the Blue Ridge Parkway and if you go south(the way to Maggie Valley) you are entering at the best part of the Parkway IMO. The tunnels start around there and the Linn Cove Viaduct etc will be on your way. Little Switzerland, previously mentioned is also on your route going south!

Also be advised if you're planning on going to the Wheel Thru Time Museum in Maggie Valley its closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hi All,

Myself and a buddy are heading to Maggie Valley to check out Wheels Through Time. We will be leaving from St. Louis. Wanted to get some input on routes and were to stay. We could take 64 to 24 to 40 but prefer to stay off as many super slabs as possible. Also any suggestions for detour rides either there or on the way are appreciated. We plan on being gone for about 4-5 days so we are in no hurry.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Mike
We're in the Charlotte, NC area and ride up that way every chance we get and I can say with absolute certainty that you will not have any issues finding quality, scenic rides off the "super slabs". A MUST ride is the Tail of the Dragon but it gets very congested during the weekends so if you do plan on riding it, try doing so during a weekday if possible...you'll enjoy it a lot more. Also, I'd suggest taking US 321 through Gatlinburg, TN into the NC mountains. This is a GREAT ride w/out a lot of congestion. I don't recall exactly what road you'd take from 321 to Maggie Valley otherwise I'd let you know.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is also a short distance from Maggie Valley so that's certainly another great stretch of scenic roads in either direction. And although it is a little pricey to visit, I wouldn't be a good North Carolinian if I didn't mention the Biltmore Estate just down the road in Asheville, NC...not to mention that Asheville has a TON of great craft brewery's to that'll give you a good "taste" of what the Carolinas has to offer. lol

Enjoy your trip and ride safe!!

Lindsey :0)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We're in the Charlotte, NC area and ride up that way every chance we get and I can say with absolute certainty that you will not have any issues finding quality, scenic rides off the "super slabs". A MUST ride is the Tail of the Dragon but it gets very congested during the weekends so if you do plan on riding it, try doing so during a weekday if possible...you'll enjoy it a lot more. Also, I'd suggest taking US 321 through Gatlinburg, TN into the NC mountains. This is a GREAT ride w/out a lot of congestion. I don't recall exactly what road you'd take from 321 to Maggie Valley otherwise I'd let you know.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is also a short distance from Maggie Valley so that's certainly another great stretch of scenic roads in either direction. And although it is a little pricey to visit, I wouldn't be a good North Carolinian if I didn't mention the Biltmore Estate just down the road in Asheville, NC...not to mention that Asheville has a TON of great craft brewery's to that'll give you a good "taste" of what the Carolinas has to offer. lol

Enjoy your trip and ride safe!!

Lindsey :0)
Good part about our trip is leaving Monday morning after I put the family on a flight. So all of the riding, except for the return trip, will be during the week. Working on the route as I type this. Been to the Biltmore Estate with the family so this time I'll try some craft brews. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
9,664 Posts
I think its US 19 from Cherokee to Maggie Valley , but I may be wrong . Pick up BRP at the southern end of 321 just before Cherokee coming from Gatlinburg

JtB

·
Registered
726 Posts
Good part about our trip is leaving Monday morning after I put the family on a flight. So all of the riding, except for the return trip, will be during the week. Working on the route as I type this. Been to the Biltmore Estate with the family so this time I'll try some craft brews. Thanks again.

I'll be in Maggie Valley 7/15-7/18. If you are there then, look me up and I'll buy you a beer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts