Road Glide banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased all the tools, etc. to start changing my own fluids. I also decided to give Amsoil a try for all 3 fluids. Going to change the oil after my dyno tune next week, and do that myself.

Looking forward to seeing if the primary and transmission fluids work a little better (and quieter) than the HD stuff. That is what I have heard from others......so we shall see.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
I do not have any first hand experience with Amsoil in the trans or primary, but I learned about it in the crankcase after I installed 222 cams in my 2012 back in '13. After the install with Harley oil, my oil pressure was awesome but the valve train was loud. I ended up double checking everything and all was right. At work I was telling my coworkers about my cam install, the power gains, and reluctantly about the noise, another dude at my work overheard and chimed in. He is a big Amsoil user, so I had him get me some 20w-50 from wherever he did and changed the oil again in the bike. The reason I am a believer now is because after the oil change the valve train quieted down completely. Besides Amsoil in the oil pan I used to run Redline in the trans and primary with good results on the '12. Good luck!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Probably a good idea to use gear oil for you transmission and primary rather than 20w50 motor oil. Motor oil is for motors. Transmissions and primarys need oil that clings to gears and chains rather than sliding off them.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, got 4 qts. Of oil, then they make specific primary fluid, and specific trans fluid. Like earlier poster said, the engine noise is reduced, as well as I've heard from personal friends that use it, the transmission noise is reduced and feels smoother.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Amsoil

I installed Amsoil 20/50 in all three holes, rode 6500 miles from VA to CA, got back and then changed it. The transmission oil came out just as clean as it went in. The engine oil came out a little bit dark, but the primary oil came out VERY dark... I should keep an eye on this, change the primary oil more often, flush the primary side, and/or go with something different? :confused:

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I'd never use motor oil in the transmission. I had a bad case of neutral rattle when the bike was new and the local dealership drained what came stock and used Belray 75w140 in the trans and I've been using it ever since. Goes in clean and comes out clean, and best part is everything is quiet.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
the primary oil came out VERY dark... I should keep an eye on this, change the primary oil more often, flush the primary side, and/or go with something different? :confused:
The primary oil will be dark because of normal clutch lining wear. You will also see some amount of metal from the starter gears that crash into each other every time you hit the start button.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It makes sense about using MOTOR oil... 20/50 and 75/140 are way different numbers, so I WILL change the primary oil to something different. Thanks!:)

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
It makes sense about using MOTOR oil... 20/50 and 75/140 are way different numbers, so I WILL change the primary oil to something different. Thanks!:)
yes, they are different numbers. and they also mean very different things. 75/140 gear oil would be vastly different from 75/140 engine oil (not that they'd ever make such a weight oil in the first place). point is, viscosity is measured differently. 75 weight gear oil is roughly equivalent to 10w-30 engine oil.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
4,480 Posts
I've been using Amsoil for a few years now and I think it is as good as anything out there and I like the convenience of having it shipped to my house. I did hear something the other day from a local Indy that sells Amsoil that I had never heard or read before. I told him that I have a preferred membership with Amsoil and he asked which oil did I use, the 20w/50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil or the Premium Protection 20w/50 Synthetic Motor Oil? I obviously said that I used the one for motorcycles. He said that I needed to switch to the Premium Protection one because it has Zinc which is much better for the motor. He said the Motorcycle version is a MA2 which has less Zinc and is blended to do less damage over time to the cats in the stock headpipe and that since I no longer had the stock pipes that I should run the PP version. He also stated that he has done oil testing for a number of years and he finds that although the claims that Amsoil makes on their website about their oil are correct, they are only showing you the categories in which they are strong in. That other brands of oils are better in other categories so it would not be a bad idea to switch brands from time to time. He believes that Amsoil is a great oil to use but others are very good as well for different reasons. Anyway I would like to hear from the oil guru's here if anything he said is accurate? He didn't try pushing any sell on me so I didn't have a reason to be real skeptical about what he said.

Here is the PP version:
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...ion-20w-50-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=AROQT-EA

Here is the Motorcycle version:
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...anced-synthetic-motorcycle-oil/?code=MCVQT-EA

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yey an oil thread! :) I haven't had the first change done yet on this new beast so it is timely.

In my last bike, a hot Stage4 EVO I ran Mobile 1 20/50 V-Twin in the engine, M-1 10/40 in primary and M-1 60-90 gear lube in trans. Never a single issue for 40,000 miles.

Not sure what I'm going to do with this new 103 yet but I need to decide soon.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
I've been using Amsoil for a few years now and I think it is as good as anything out there and I like the convenience of having it shipped to my house. I did hear something the other day from a local Indy that sells Amsoil that I had never heard or read before. I told him that I have a preferred membership with Amsoil and he asked which oil did I use, the 20w/50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil or the Premium Protection 20w/50 Synthetic Motor Oil? I obviously said that I used the one for motorcycles. He said that I needed to switch to the Premium Protection one because it has Zinc which is much better for the motor. He said the Motorcycle version is a MA2 which has less Zinc and is blended to do less damage over time to the cats in the stock headpipe and that since I no longer had the stock pipes that I should run the PP version. He also stated that he has done oil testing for a number of years and he finds that although the claims that Amsoil makes on their website about their oil are correct, they are only showing you the categories in which they are strong in. That other brands of oils are better in other categories so it would not be a bad idea to switch brands from time to time. He believes that Amsoil is a great oil to use but others are very good as well for different reasons. Anyway I would like to hear from the oil guru's here if anything he said is accurate? He didn't try pushing any sell on me so I didn't have a reason to be real skeptical about what he said.

Here is the PP version:
AMSOIL Premium Protection 20W-50 Synthetic Motor Oil

Here is the Motorcycle version:
AMSOIL 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil
he's correct, sort of. you can run oil with friction modifiers in it (like zinc) in your engine because hd has a separate sump for each oil (except sportsters). a good oil to use is mobil 1 15w-50, and it can be found at Walmart for $27 for a 5 qt jug. I don't use it any more because I can't get it at my local walmarts anymore. but, it certainly won't hurt to use the motorcycle specific oil either. he's also correct in amsoil testing. in fact, one of the big tests that they use, the 4 ball wear test, is their own test. no one else uses that test.

fact is, there is no one best oil. what you have to do is to find an oil that you like, that you are able to get easily enough, and just stick with it and do your oil changes at recommended intervals. I know people who swear by Walmart supertech oil and have run that in their bikes for over 100,000 miles.

my 'recipe': redline 20w-60 for the engine (it gets hot here in la), shell rotella t for the primary ($13 for a 4 qt jug, that's 3 changes. do those the same time as the engine, every 5k), and 75w-90 gear oil for the tranny. change around 10k.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Lucas

Lucas 20W-50 synthetic High Performance Motorcycle oil in engine and primary and Lucas Synthetic SAE 75W-140 V-Twin Gear Oil in tranny. Available on the road at most truck stops and O'Reilly auto parts. Used for years in several bikes with good results.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Lucas is top notch stuff IMO, I run redline 20w50 syth in the motor, 75w110 amsoil syth in the trans and good ole formula plus from HD in the primary with good results and a lot quieter as well.

·
Registered
9,671 Posts
Like Skratch said, there really isn't any one best oil. They all have their own additives and are all good in different ways. I personally use mobil1 15w50 in the engine, shell rotella t in the primary and lucas 75/90 gear oil in the trans. Been using this concoction for about a year and a half without any problems. The best part is now it costs me roughly $27 to change all three fluids

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.