Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been offered a 2015 Road glide Special in vivid black in exchange for my 2014 Triumph Street Triple R ABS (with only 1200kms on her) and $23,700 Canadian Dollars. Is this a good deal? They are valuing my Triumph at $8000.00 Canadian.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Blue book shows low trade in value of 5950 high trade in value of 6975.00

Your deal is at 31700.00 (23700 + 8000 trade value) Does that include, freight, pdi, document fees, tire tax (if there is one in Ontario), finance fees everything except HST?

In Ontario is HST charged on the full value of the sale or only on the difference from full value minus the trade in value?

All comes down to what you can live with. Looks like an OK deal to me, considering our dollar is dropping fast and the price of HD bikes in Canada will be increasing soon because of that Canada/U.S. dollar difference. The consumer always makes up the difference, the distributors and dealers have their set margins and they will live and die by them.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understood that to be the out the door price but I could be wrong....

Blue book shows low trade in value of 5950 high trade in value of 6975.00

Your deal is at 31700.00 (23700 + 8000 trade value) Does that include, freight, pdi, document fees, tire tax (if there is one in Ontario), finance fees everything except HST?

In Ontario is HST charged on the full value of the sale or only on the difference from full value minus the trade in value?

All comes down to what you can live with. Looks like an OK deal to me, considering our dollar is dropping fast and the price of HD bikes in Canada will be increasing soon because of that Canada/U.S. dollar difference. The consumer always makes up the difference, the distributors and dealers have their set margins and they will live and die by them.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
MSRP in Canada on an RGS is 28379.00 for black, 28989 for color other than black.

28379 x 1.13 =32068.27 black bike HST included without any dealer fees, pdi, freight local taxes etc.

Are you adding any accessories HD or otherwise?

Your deal;

Cash deal. 31700 (all in) - 13%tax is selling price of 28053.31

Trade deal. 31700 - 8000 = 23700 +13% tax = 26781.00 total due if all dealer fees, pdi, freight and local taxes are included in the 31700 OTD price.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MSRP in Canada on an RGS is 28379.00 for black, 28989 for color other than black.

28379 x 1.13 =32068.27 black bike HST included without any dealer fees, pdi, freight local taxes etc.

Are you adding any accessories HD or otherwise?

Your deal;

Cash deal. 31700 (all in) - 13%tax is selling price of 28053.31

Trade deal. 31700 - 8000 = 23700 +13% tax = 26781.00 total due if all dealer fees, pdi, freight and local taxes are included in the 31700 OTD price.

Calgaryglide

No accessories added. Should I?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Quick search only dealer out here in the west that showed pricing on new bikes

Kamloops HD listed 2015 RGS in vivid black at 29389, they add 1000.00 to Canadian MSRP. Freight, PDi and Document fees included,+ GST and PST on negotiated price

29389 ask + 1469.45 (gst) + 2057.23 (pst) = 32915.68 all in.

That price will be increasing because as inventory moves, the newer bikes coming into stock have been purchased with a Canadian dollar much lower in value than in the past 6-12 months.

Current bank exchange value today is 1.31 Canadian for every U.S. dollar. New bike prices are going to increase in Canada very soon!!!

32915.68 / 1.31 = 25126.47 in U.S. dollars

HD USA MSRP 23199.00 converted to Canadian$ today =30390.69

So you can see that when the early inventory of 2015 bikes is gone and they are importing bikes manufactured after November December last year there is going to be a significant price increase. Deeley the distributing importer will not lose money selling to the dealers.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I would take the deal, prices are only going to go up.

Negotiate accessories at least 10% under MSRP, try them at 20% to start and pay cash for them outside the bike deal so that they are not financed (if you are going that route). If dealer is installing, negotiate labor as well. Most of the time they quote right from there book for each job as a separate job. If you are installing multiple accessories that require the seat, outer faring to be off, those only need to come off once, not fore each accessory added.

If you don't know what accessories you want right now, negotiate for 10-20% off future accessory purchases for at least 6 months from date of purchase.

Try to put together a list of what you want in that time frame and then buy them all at once and negotiate the labor on that deal the same way.

Also I would wait and buy any extra warranty in the last 6 months of the mandatory 2 year warranty period. You should know by then whether it will be worth it or not to have it.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice :)

I would take the deal, prices are only going to go up.

Negotiate accessories at least 10% under MSRP, try them at 20% to start and pay cash for them outside the bike deal so that they are not financed (if you are going that route). If dealer is installing, negotiate labor as well. Most of the time they quote right from there book for each job as a separate job. If you are installing multiple accessories that require the seat, outer faring to be off, those only need to come off once, not fore each accessory added.

If you don't know what accessories you want right now, negotiate for 10-20% off future accessory purchases for at least 6 months from date of purchase.

Try to put together a list of what you want in that time frame and then buy them all at once and negotiate the labor on that deal the same way.

Also I would wait and buy any extra warranty in the last 6 months of the mandatory 2 year warranty period. You should know by then whether it will be worth it or not to have it.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Just curious, but what stops a Canadian from coming to America and buying a US Road Glide for $8k less?

When I sold my Big Dog years ago, a broker came from Germany to pick it up. He paid me pretty close to what I paid for it new. Said he could sell it for a huge profit in Europe even taking shipping to Germany in to account

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well folks, my resistance only lasted a week. I bought the bike today. Going to ride her home tomorrow in what is looking like cold wet weather....

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Just curious, but what stops a Canadian from coming to America and buying a US Road Glide for $8k less?

When I sold my Big Dog years ago, a broker came from Germany to pick it up. He paid me pretty close to what I paid for it new. Said he could sell it for a huge profit in Europe even taking shipping to Germany in to account

When I sold cars back a few years ago, If we sold a vehicle to someone from Canada or any other country without them being able to prove they had an established residence in the states the dealership would lose their license. Warranty, financing and titling the vehicle will set off so many red flags it is nearly impossible to do.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
When I sold cars back a few years ago, If we sold a vehicle to someone from Canada or any other country without them being able to prove they had an established residence in the states the dealership would lose their license. Warranty, financing and titling the vehicle will set off so many red flags it is nearly impossible to do.

Oh. Ok. Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts