Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday exiting the highway a guy in a truck is pointing at my bike and looked kinda alarmed. I'm thinking oh God, what happened. I pull over and my left lid is open. Luckily it didn't bend or anything. I have. No idea how long or when it popped open. It's a good idea to push those latches down real good when u go for a ride. I now keep them locked at all times.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
So yesterday exiting the highway a guy in a truck is pointing at my bike and looked kinda alarmed. I'm thinking oh God, what happened. I pull over and my left lid is open. Luckily it didn't bend or anything. I have. No idea how long or when it popped open. It's a good idea to push those latches down real good when u go for a ride. I now keep them locked at all times.

Lucky for You that someone that observed it let you know.
I always lock my lids whenever I'm riding.
I make it a habit to check them when I check all my lights before a ride.
I've seen way to many of them open up on the highway.
Mike U.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lucky for You that someone that observed it let you know.

I always lock my lids whenever I'm riding.

I make it a habit to check them when I check all my lights before a ride.

I've seen way to many of them open up on the highway.

Mike U.
Yeah. This is my first bike with hard bags. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I have a habit of double checking saddlebag latches at first stop light just in case and noticed once or twice that I forgot to close one of them all the way. Also be careful when packing them to top, as latch may not always grab properly. Smart to lock lids to be on safe side like Mike said

·
Registered
718 Posts

There is another good reason to lock the lids. A bit embarrassed to say, but I dumped my bike in the parking lot at work with my wife on the back shortly after buying the bike. She hopped on before I was ready. That is "my story", she has another.

Anyways, I was able to slow the drop, but still a hard landing for the bike. Unfortunately, the saddle bag lid was unlocked, so when the bike hit, the cover flipped open and was also damaged on the pavement.

Sad and humbling day indeed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yea, ... I lost some paper work once like that. Sat at some stop lights, Don't know how long it was open, or if I ever closed it. Nobody ever indicated, probably just laughed. It was CA.

I now always reach down at lights, or during a long haul. The 18"s bags locking mechanism is much better the the 11's.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
My right bag on my 08 always popped open. Was a known issue. My 16. The bags never popped open.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
6,814 Posts
Anyone who says this never happened to them is probably not being truthful. I keep 'em locked to eliminate the problem. And Woverby, no shame in dropping the bike, it happens to all of us sooner or later. I've dropped mine twice in 8 years, both at 0 mph.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Similar, but different thing happened last week to a friend of mine. He has one of those funky, 1 headlight, Street Glides that he put a chopped Harley Tour pak on. however, he went aftermarket for the latches and hinges, though they look just like the ones on my bike that are Harley parts. The latch popped open while on a week long trip and he lost a hat, boot, and maybe a few other items. When we were all parked, the latch would not come as close to latching as well as all of the other Harley Tour Paks at the event. He now has Harley latches on order.

·
Registered
513 Posts
More often than a mechanical malfunction is a brain malfunction--I forget to close latch and check before taking off. I had, for a while, a mini checklist printed on label maker tape inside the windshield. "Zippers, latches, cargo, phone, wallet"

·
Registered
982 Posts
whether they are locked or unlocked. When I pull up to a light, I have a habit of reaching back to make sure they are closed and secured.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I love the newer style bags! You can ride with them unlatched and they dont open up. LOL . I lost some new Sturgis merch riding back on my Heritage with hard bags once. The new latches are so handy, Ive switched out my sunglasses and put a jacket on at a stop light before.

·
Registered
290 Posts
4500 miles up on my 2019, and gotta say I have never ridden without locking the lids. I just don't trust them to stay shut, no matter how superior the newer style latching is.

I have some early 1970s XLH Sportster hard bags on my 1980 FXWG and I run a couple of metal keyring rings through the lame ''tongue and groove'' front latch set-up AND I keep them locked at the rear locking latch to stop them flying off on the highway... they're kinda irreplaceable down here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had this happen 2x before!!! Now On my new CVO they get locked every time before I ride... Lost a helmet and a cooler back in 2014 with my left bag opening, didn’t realize it till I got home...

·
Registered
255 Posts
I learned the hard way on my 12 RGU. I have a 16 RGU now but still lock the bags and tourpack before I take off for a ride.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts