Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Were looking for some good/fun/biker friendly places to stay and visit while were on our road trip. Were heading north from Florida to Pennsylvania October 4th. 18-day trip. Thanks in advance!
Administrator: Sorry can you move this to the proper thread? Road trips.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Depends on your budget. When I rode to Sturgis in 05, I stayed at Super8s. Nothing special. My group now likes to stay at Best Westerns (make sure you sign up with BW for their frequent guest awards). But be warned. Depending on location, rooms can cost any where from $80 to $150. But you do build points and wind up with a free room night here and there...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Not so sure about biker-type places, but we like the Hampton Inn's and always seem to have good accommodations and service.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Went to Miwaukee for the 110th by way of Montreal from Boston-we stayed at 7 different Best Westerns they were all good- some better than others but all were clean and the beds were comfotable.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
So far ive had good luck with just hopping on Priceline.com and reserving pretty much whatever was available. I dont take the cheapeat place, but try not to get into the $100 range either. I dont get all excited about motel rooms, very few are any better than another. As long as the shower is hot and the beds clean I can get by for 1 night almost anywhere. We paid 50 bucks for a room in st louis for the BBQ run, paid nearly $125 for one in Steamboat Springs on the way to SWIII, and i really cant say one was better than the other.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I stayed at Best Westerns using the HOG program almost exclusively on my first two trips to Sturgis. I was never disappointed in the rooms and they often let me park under the roof over their entrances. On my trip to Sturgis this year I split my stays between Best Western and Holiday Inn Express. The Best Westerns were good as usual but the Holiday Inn Expresses were better than I expected and they were a little cheaper. I have stayed at cheaper hotels over the years but at 62 I don't have the patience for cheap hotels with scratchy sheets, lousy plumbing, thin curtains, etc.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I have had good experiences with EconoLodge (Choice Hotels). Usually biker friendly with available hose and rags to clean the scoot. Rates are decent and they always have rollaways available if your crew decides to share rooms to cut costs further.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,714 Posts
As someone who spends an average of 170 nights per year in hotels while traveling for work, I've found the most consistent value at Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express. In the past 4-5 years I've spent more and more nights in the HIEs. I find them to be relatively new and have large flat screen TVs, very comfortable bedding, realistically sized bathrooms, and curtains that actually block the light on those occassional days where you get to sleep in a bit .... and generally, very helpful staff. I also use a few Marriot Courtyards, but many have become too expensive.

I find the Quality, Comfort, and Best Westerns to vary widely based on location/ ownership. Some are just fine while others are truely substandard.

Brands that I have found to be complete disappointments time and time again are, Howard Johnsons, Super 8s, and any property flying the Knight's Inn banner. I stay at these only if they are the last available rooms in town - which in itself says a lot.

I would also say that it is worthwhile to check both the facilities posted online price vs. the consolidators like Hotels.com. There are often $20-40 dollar pe rnight differences - and it could go either way. I also find that I get consistently better prices by calling the hotel/motel itself, and avoiding their national reservations 1-800 lines.

Sure, there may be exceptions to any of the above - some brands vary widely based on the franchisee and management, but this has been my experience as a frequent traveler.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I think the gist of this thread turned out to be: anywhere, check around.

HI Express, Best Westerns, Hampton Inns, have all bee good to me.

Question: what would make a hotel not bike-friendly?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I will look at Priceline.com, occasionally you can score big like $45 for the Hyatt Regency in Albuquerque, and if nothing really hot pops up there look at ChoiceHotels with Southern Cruisers discount and Red Roof Inns. Days Inns seem to vary quite a bit in quality while ChoiceHotels seem to have become more strict with their standards for their franchisees. Red Roof Inns are always basic but usually very acceptable and inexpensive. Travelling in hot weather, an outdoor pool is always a plus. :)

Phone Apps for Priceline and Choice Hotels work well. Frequently the online pricing is better than just showing up at the desk. Look for any discount, Clubs, AARP, Corporate.

When you are out for a couple weeks, keeping your hotel costs down around $50-$60 saves quite a few bucks you can put to better use.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again!

Thank you everyone who responded. If it was just me I would probably stay anywhere. But the wife needs to feel safe. I'll check around and play by ear. We really don't know where were going to be from day to day. That's the best thing about road trips! If you see two people on a red RGU heading north, it could be us, flag us down and say hi and have a cold beer ready;)

·
Registered
432 Posts
My favorite hotel in PA is the Best Western Revere Inn in Paradise. They have good rates very nice rooms and a great old restaurant on site.

For good reviews and pricing I use Trip Advisor.
I couldn't agree more with you. We have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the last few years, and every time has been more than satisfactory. We stay in the annex; a little cheaper and just as nice. Two pools and a good restaurant and lounge on site.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I like Motel 6. Believe it or not, they have been the best rooms on a budget I have had. I have had fancier, but for just for a night of gawking at the idiot box or sleeping, they do the job.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts