Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna shoot for Sturgis this year and would like to have some suggestions on good places we can tent camp at. Our biggest criteria is decent showers and shade. Where do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

RG69

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
120 Posts
Probably get a few opinions. Stayed at Shade Valley - shade, economical, very clean restrooms, shade, electric at campsite if you are looking for it, etc....

It's about 5 miles out past Buffalo Chip (I thought nice ride) and what seemed good is reverse traffic all the time (saved a lot of time).

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Cottonwood Creek Camp is a nice place. It's about 5-miles out past the broken spoke. Breakfast & Dinner served and a bar with a band every night. $75 per person for the rally.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was out in '05 & '11. Did a lot of research before the first trip. My experience was the closer to the town of Stugis the more expensive & some places require you book the whole week. We stayed in Hill City, SD @ Crooked Creek Campground. Clean showers, laundry room, cheap breakfast. 20 mins. from Mt. Rushmore, about 1hr from Sturgis (beautiful ride through Lead & Deadwood). Don't remember the price but did find it less expensive than most.

·
Registered
992 Posts
In 2009 we stayed at Lamphere Campground. Good Shade, nice showers, and quiet at night. Right across from Glencoe, and straight down from Full Throttle. We liked it.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I camped at Sturgis RV Park (fka Mt Rodney). It was $10/night off season (re: the rally). The manager told me (back in 2011) it was $35/night with a five night minimum during the rally.

Nice place with great showers, laundry, water & electricity.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
You might not have a lot of choices if you don't have reservations before now, I would say call ahead and see if you can pick up any leads before you leave.

We stayed here last time:
http://www.katmanducampground.com/
Close to town, good people, not much shade though.

Hint, check Walmart or Harbor Freight for tent stakes that look like giant nails(3/8" diameter x10" long), you'll need those, and a hammer. You'll also need a visegrips to get them back out. Plastic stakes don't fly in Sturgis(well, they do, straight in the trash can).

·
Registered
987 Posts
Last year I pulled into town and found a yard spot for $25 a night. They had a Shower and a couple porta pots. Pleanty of shade and a block off of down town. It was fun for a couple of nights but not sure I would do it all week.

·
Registered
593 Posts
You could check here:
Mountain Shadow Campground
10716 Mountain Shadow Road
Piedmont, SD 57769

Piedmont is nice because it's close to both Sturgis & Rapid City, a little off the beaten path but close enough to run back and forth. Nice QUIET campground with clean showers and toilets.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the responses... I'll camp in a ditch if I have to...

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
rapid city

We were lucky to known someone in Rapid city last year, BUT I take the 'we' as a misses. Brillant- there is a walmart in rapid city (campfree) KOA showers are 3$, huggin your misses vs your front tire 'priceless' wish you the best:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts