Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be headed East come May 10th and am looking for some good rides in the Tennessee and Kentucky area. I've only dabbled around Louisville and Lynchburg on business trips, so it really is uncharted territory for me.

Post your recommended routes, favorite food joints, and places to stay.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Tail of the Dragon, and I think even better - Cherohala skyway.

The Great Smokys are awesome!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Tail of the Dragon, and I think even better - Cherohala skyway.

The Great Smokys are awesome!
+1, American Legion Riders from Dover, DE going back for a week Jun 21-30. Did a long week-end there last year--not long enough to ride the area.

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
What part of Ky will you be in? We've ridden in every county but 5 or 6.

·
Registered
184 Posts
What part of Ky will you be in? We've ridden in every county but 5 or 6.
It's odd that I have lived in Kentucky for 30 years and haven't been to so many counties.....this year I (we) intend to ride to every county seat and snap a quick pic of every courthouse, just so we can finally say we have been to every county.

·
Super Moderator
5,884 Posts
It's odd that I have lived in Kentucky for 30 years and haven't been to so many counties.....this year I (we) intend to ride to every county seat and snap a quick pic of every courthouse, just so we can finally say we have been to every county.
Gimme a yell when you come this way.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Gimme a yell when you come this way.

Hey that looks like a good ride from here, probably could check off 50 counties just to get there....Is that near where the Locks are at on the river? A long time back I was lost and ended up somewhere in Western KY where there was seems like 3 locks on the river, I watched forever as the barges went through. would like to go there again.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Tracy,

Most likely I would be coming up from Nashville. Unless I decide to hit the Tail of the Dragon... I will most likely only have 2 days to goof around in the region before having to move on to visit family in Iowa.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Here is a link to the Tail of the Dragon website.
It also has information on the other area roads.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

The Dragon can be a dangerous place especially on the weekend with the higher volume of traffic.

It has become a tourist destination IMO.

I've been there once during the weekday and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Safe travels to you and yours.

Link to "Hell Roads" on You Tube.
http://youtu.be/K16YnmJN0fc

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sat down and did some trip planning. Here is the projected route:

Trip Route

If it goes down as planned, the first 6-7 days are going to be LOOOONG. Average of 700 mile days. Get to Dragos on the 16th to have pipes installed, then chill for a few days with family in Des Moines. Then the madness continues over Memorial weekend in the Black Hills then chill with my best buddy in Colorado for a couple days, before heading back to California.

What do you all think?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts