Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello tee nuts! Went on a trip this weekend and could not keep my windshield in place. Wound up taping the corners on the way home and it still came out. Got a handful of brad hole tee nuts from the hardware store, put some 2 sided tape on them, and stuck them on the inside of the fairing.
I cut the bottom off of the rubber well nuts and used them as a t shaped washer to go over the tip of the nut. Here’s what it looks like all together.

In the front are the individual pieces and next to the yellow cap is one assembled.
Put these in and tightened them down real good. Windshield isn’t going anywhere.

i couldn’t find any kind of decent fix online but this seems to work well if anyone is having problems with the windshield.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
I run a Madstad and have had the same problems. When I went with the chrome. HD cover, I also bolted the base down. Got tired of it coming loose.

Reactions: rocket_appliances

·
Administrator
12,553 Posts
I’ve never had a problem. Make sure you don’t make them too tight, windshields do crack.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
WELL done Rocket! (see what I did right there) ! When I had my 10, I was gonna do that very same thing. Let us know how WELL that works after a while.
[/QUOT

Works great on the pre Rushmore bikes. Been running nut & bolts for 2 yrs.
Only down side is, you have to remove the fairing to remove the Base or shield if you're running a non Madstad.

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
1,395 Posts
I swapped to the Klock Werks well nuts, cheap and easy fix. I like your idea as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to use regular nut and bolt but it was difficult to get the fairing in the hooks. This way I can remove the windshield when I need to. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I eliminated the well nuts a long time ago. If you do a search you can see the post with pics on how I did the mod. I never had any problems with the windshield since.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I eliminated the well nuts a long time ago. If you do a search you can see the post with pics on how I did the mod. I never had any problems with the windshield since.
Keep in mind that the who reason for the rubber well nuts is so that in case of an accident, the windshield can pop off as you go through it. T-nuts prevents that from happening. I have visions of being eviscerated by a shard of plastic as I break the windshield going through it. Of course, with the tiny windshield I run, it's not an issue. I'll be going right over it, but with a taller one, I'm not as comfortable doing it.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
The accident scenario is true. A left-hand turner caused me to total my 1998 Ultra In 2009. It was a T-bone accident that caused me to go through the windshield. If it had not come off the fairing, I would have problems. As it goes, I only had minor scratches, and a new Harley. 😄

Reactions: Zedbra
1 - 12 of 12 Posts