Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a GoPro Hero camera for Christmas (I'm blessed with my daughter that reads my letter to Santa) and I need help from the Shark family.

I 've seen in forums where they have mounted it on top of the radio with double sided tape and seen where they mounted it on the crash bars. I've also read where some folks (due to vibration) have lost their cameras. Mounting on the helmet has been the unanimous choice for most biker folks to reduce vibration and to get the riders view as he is riding. (Not sure I want to go there)

So here goes:
1. What area(s) are best to mount on the Glide? (open to all ideas)
2. What bracket (part #/maker) would I need to mount on bike?
3. Anybody have any pictures they could post. (I'm a visual guy)

Thanks,
Alex in Texas

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I have the suction cup mount and I like it mounted on the side of the saddlebags, gets a real nice low on the road view. I have done over 85mph with it on the saddlebags, hit a couple of bumps and still no problem with it staying on.

If you suction mount it on the top of the bags you will tend to get your arm blocking some of the view.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I just got one also, I have it on my helmet, had to move it forward. i put gorila glue with the 2 sided tape we will see, but the last thing I want is for it to fall off. this thing cost like 400.00 mine has the remote. But used it this morning doing 80 worked great. I have the gopro hero 3+ black eddition. I see where you can get differnt mounts on the Gopro site.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I like the helmet mount also. I like seeing the drivers view perspective of a video. The mount can snap on and off so the camera can mount either on my helmet or on my wife's if she's along. Having it on the helmet allows you to focus on subjects of interest by looking at them and not being limited to a fixed camera's perspective.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Helmet mount works best for steady shots but I rarely wear a helmet. The 3M tape works just fine.

I've run it on the side of the front fender, the bags, and pretty much anything with a flat surface using the suction cup.

Most often I run it on the fairing, I put a 3M mount on top of the inner fairing on top of where the radio is. The camera will see over the short windshield but doesn't work with my cee baileys. I've run it here at the drag strip and just bombing around town, you can run it backwards and see yourself driving too if you're not ugly.

My inner fairing isn't painted yet, if it was I don't think I would mount the camera there.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm a victim of losing a GoPro when a mount sheared off. Can't remember if it was a handlebar mount or a roll bar mount. It was on my engine guard. Now it's somewhere in west Texas. GoPro gave me a 50% off credit when I replaced it, so it wasn't a total loss.

I found a great mount at www.utvinc.com that is very stable, and it ain't gonna break. But I'm kinda tired of the same view of the road. Can't get much scenic stuff.

So I'm gonna try the helmet mount, even if I look like a dork. For those of mounting on the helmet - are you using the 3M tape, or a helmet strap, or what? And are you using a safety tether of some kind?

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
The only good thing of having a helmet mount and looking like a dork is that you can't see yourself looking like a dork.. That's what tell myself when I wear it. LoL..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
837 Posts
I ride dirt bikes and have never had a problem with the 3M tape that comes with the mount, even when crashing unless you have a direct hit to the camera. We mounted it with the tape to the swing arm pointed the camera backwards, rode the sanddunes and it never came off (got some cool footage too). If you are concerened you can get a tether as a backup plan. I personaly like it when you can see some part of the bike in the picture. The remote is also nice so you can easily turn it on and off.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
This is a video by forum member Popeye BACA of the Texas Hill Country. He said he mounted it on the front of the fairing. I love the perspective and feel it gives....

·
Registered
654 Posts
I use the Helmet mount mostly. I have it mounted on the front of the helmet, not right on top of it. Doesn't look as goofy that way. Lol. I like to angle it where u get a view of the bars, hands and fairing. Gives a good point of view that way. Here's one of my vids for example. :D

·
Registered
893 Posts
I used the 3M tape to mount the camera on top of the radio for still shots - too much vibration for video, Use a helmet mount primarily for video but also some stills. I also chained together several mounts so that I could rotate the camera on the helmet to take rear shots of my bud riding behind me. Adds a nice perspective. - Never thought about reversing the mount on the radio for "Selfies" Oh wait - why would I want to do that?????? The different camera features such as continuous shutter release has been fun but then you have to edit through all those damn pics of the same thing - very tedious I usually leave the shutter set up to take 3 shots 1 second apart for each activation of the release - just a personal preference I suppose.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I use the suction mount its the most versatile. With this mount you can almost mount the camera anywhere you want to on the bike. I've mounted to fairing front and both sides (high and low) front fender (side only - mount on top you may squish the camera on the underside of fairing); rear tour Pak and both saddlebags. Just try different position making short test vids until you get one you like.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Does the lense rotate if you hold it sideways or will the video come out sideways so you have to cock your head to watch the video? Im just wondering cuz i made a clamp mount for my Contour Roam camera which does rotate so i can mount it sodeways on my 1.25" apes. Its takes a pretty steady video too. Just wondering about the go pros. If it does i may have another clamp laying around

·
Registered
234 Posts
Fabbed a mount with extended rod and attached to the right fork upper slider with 3" hose clamps. Attached my Drift HD to the mount and run the power line up thru fairing and into the cig lighter. Remote on/off switch mounted to the handle bar. Had constant power and could turn camera on or off as needed. The camera was sold and vibration free for the 3200 mile trip. Just lowered the front end by 2", so plan to redo the fork mount and rotate the lens, then reposition camera more to the side in stead of above the extended mounting rod.
Tried to upload photo, but it exceeds the allowable size.......send me your email and I'll shoot a couple to you.

·
Administrator
10,483 Posts
I got the white edition for Christmas , looks like there will be no shortage of videos for the new year ..

Wally World here has a few mounts , I got the crash bar mount after Christmas , now if it wud quit raining

JtB

1 - 20 of 37 Posts